SAU Community

Upgraded Fuel System Questions

WantGTR

This is my setup. There is a boost a pump unit that does 17.5v when active and a continental pump control module. these sit where the stock fuel pump resistor module lived under the ABS/atessa ecus. Tested at 20v/20a for a few hours 100% duty no problems. The relays are for power and the normal/high voltage signal for boost a pump. pump is a Pierburg L3LM screw pump.

Was a bitch to get into the r34 saddle tank but I have magnets to hold the hydramats in place. the hydramats cover basically all of the driver side saddle floor.

The sard jet pump return line (not shown here) is pointed right onto both the hydramats to keep them wet.

Notice the split hydramats feeding the pump. If the mats were damp (hence the jet pump return flowing directly onto both mats) there is enough surface tension to only suck from submerged sections of hydramat. You can have one corner of only one of the mats submerged in fuel and it sucks up no air.

The t-piece join is only 5cm vertical from the mats so very little suction head difference.

image-20171202_173205.jpg

image-20171115_155136.jpg

IMG_20171202_203043.jpg

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 2

Pump works, I haven't got it to a track yet to see. Am logging fuel pressure with a engine protection function on injector delta so I'm not worried about my engine.

I haven't changed any of the venting. The charcoal canister line is still in place which is for fumes leaving the tank. The fuel cap is the vacuum relief and I've tested it is working correctly, are you saying it is inadequate? It allows air in to the tank once it gets to between to -3.3 to -6 kPA of vacuum according to the manual.

The 2200 is a natural gas injector and hopeless on liquid fuel.

The 1650 is a Bosch Motorsport injector designed for liquid fuel and is all stainless steel inside. (Really only flows ~1500 at 3 bar)

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, burn4005 said:

Pump works, I haven't got it to a track yet to see. Am logging fuel pressure with a engine protection function on injector delta so I'm not worried about my engine.

I haven't changed any of the venting. The charcoal canister line is still in place which is for fumes leaving the tank. The fuel cap is the vacuum relief and I've tested it is working correctly, are you saying it is inadequate? It allows air in to the tank once it gets to between to -3.3 to -6 kPA of vacuum according to the manual.

The 2200 is a natural gas injector and hopeless on liquid fuel.

The 1650 is a Bosch Motorsport injector designed for liquid fuel and is all stainless steel inside. (Really only flows ~1500 at 3 bar)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it is a good idea to upgrade the venting when upgrading pumps. 

On a standard fuel tank, is it possible to get a vented fuel cap? Where is everyone mounting their upgraded vents? Being one of the highest points, can it be installed inear the top of the fuel filler neck? Or am i looking at this wrong?

Re injectors. I am aware the 2200 is a cng injector. I know people who run both, particularly on e85. Neither seem to really have a problem... unless they arent telling me lol

18 minutes ago, WantGTR said:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it is a good idea to upgrade the venting when upgrading pumps. 

On a standard fuel tank, is it possible to get a vented fuel cap? Where is everyone mounting their upgraded vents? Being one of the highest points, can it be installed inear the top of the fuel filler neck? Or am i looking at this wrong?

Re injectors. I am aware the 2200 is a cng injector. I know people who run both, particularly on e85. Neither seem to really have a problem... unless they arent telling me lol

I got an alloy hat spun up, drilled and tapped threads for the fittings. I ran a -12 breather with a "roll over valve" so air can only come in the tank. (No fuel smell).

expensive? Yup....

IMG_4424.JPG

1 hour ago, WantGTR said:

Heres 2 reasons not to run the 2000's these came outta my evo after around 10k km's. Car was bucking and surging and carrying on E85 of course. 

Screenshot_20171206-073332.png

Screenshot_20171206-073328.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've been down this same road and it's a nightmare, I remember.getting blasted for do an over kill fuel system. sadly my last resort was an upgraded alternator. it didn't help much. but I guess it's a learning curve and expensive one at that.
Now my car just sits, move out and in my shop everyday even tho I like it so much, I'm sick to the stomach to drive it. I'm planning on re-doing the whole car. I'll go with a fuel lab variable pump next time. I'll spend a lot of time planning. of course I'll have to go with a Haltech ecu to manage it all. thanks for your thread. it was interesting to read.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so am about done with the fuel system bar a couple of small items. 

I am using xspurt 1550s. What has everyone done with the stock injector ballast? Leave in? Unplug? Nz efi delete plug thing??

38 minutes ago, WantGTR said:

Ok so am about done with the fuel system bar a couple of small items. 

I am using xspurt 1550s.

Well that tells us your injector choice.  The "small items" ie all the bits before the injectors are what I'd like to see details and pics for if possible.

Tank top hat, wiring, pump(s), pump control, jet siphon pump, reg, and lines.  That's all the good stuff IMO.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dale FZ1 said:

Well that tells us your injector choice.  The "small items" ie all the bits before the injectors are what I'd like to see details and pics for if possible.

Tank top hat, wiring, pump(s), pump control, jet siphon pump, reg, and lines.  That's all the good stuff IMO.

Lol will get some pics up shortly

Starting from the tank;

1 walbro 460 with e85 submersible hose in tje stock fuel hat. From there an6 feed to the surge and an6 overflow back into the tank. An6 was the largest fitting i could get which would work on the stock fuel hat push on fittings.

2018-01-13_05-02-18

I ended up using a raceworks surge tank with 2 walbro 460s. The above will be covered up bit is just open for photo purposes. The tank comes disassembled but it pretty straight forward to put together.

2018-01-13_03-07-27

2018-01-13_03-07-11

From there all fittings are teflon lined braided hose, full flow an fittings from aeroflow. Theres about 2 dozen or more fittings. The tank is mounted to the body using rivnuts.

2018-01-13_03-08-06

Under the car is the fuel filter and bracket also mounted using rivnuts.

Moving along, where the old fuel filter used to sit now houses the the flex sensor bypass.

2018-01-13_11-29-17

Up front i am using a turbosmart fpr2000 as it has an8 fittings, aeroflow rail and xspurt 1550s which i sourced from scottys customs. The injectors fouled the balance tube a bit due to their height but i rotated them left or right so they clear and the plugs could reach.

2018-01-13_04-28-18

I have a couple smaller lines to make and am yet to wire it up but thats not difficult to do. Any fitting with an orb was replaced with a buna n o ring.

An ard alternator is currently somewhere between here and japan so that should make the system work happily. Thank all for your input and advice.

• Like 2