SAU Community

gtr Tuning/ build advise

Chrisko33

Hi guys building a r33 gtr was completely stock when purchased due to be completed within 2 weeks looking for a good tuner who does everyone recommend ? I’ve narrowed it down to birrong and Croydon open to others this is my  list mods include -9 turbos gtss x force dumps, tomei mainfold, hks front pipe, hks hard intake pipping kit, hks fuel rail, 800cc sard injectors,tomei fuel reg, Walbro 450l fuel pump, catch can, Apexi cat, tomei adjustable cams, haltech platinum pro ecu. I am chasing 330-350kw on pump fuel 98 I think this realistic I guess the turbos are the limiting factor here 

3 hours ago, Chrisko33 said:

Hi guys building a r33 gtr was completely stock when purchased due to be completed within 2 weeks looking for a good tuner who does everyone recommend ? I’ve narrowed it down to birrong and Croydon open to others this is my  list mods include -9 turbos gtss x force dumps, tomei mainfold, hks front pipe, hks hard intake pipping kit, hks fuel rail, 800cc sard injectors,tomei fuel reg, Walbro 450l fuel pump, catch can, Apexi cat, tomei adjustable cams, haltech platinum pro ecu. I am chasing 330-350kw on pump fuel 98 I think this realistic I guess the turbos are the limiting factor here 

Is this the list you are thinking of getting or what is already installed?

2 hours ago, Leroy Peterson said:

Sounds like a solid wishlist from 2002 so probably already installed?

2 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Is this the list you are thinking of getting or what is already installed?

It’s whats currently being installed at the mechanics at the moment, I know it’s a old school set up but I wanted to keep it low mount set up and twin turbo and I’ll be happy if it’s around near 350atkw 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You'll need E85, you'll need a non Jap crap cat, also those injectors won't be too happy on E85.

No way 350kW at all four paws on 98.

Steering clear of e85 I’m keeping it on pump fuel 

Internet rumours, anyhow that's personal preference.

With what you have you'll get a healthy 320 to 330kW, maybe a bit more depending how much timing your tuner puts in.

Replace that Jap crap cat with a venom 5" inch body one, more flow means more power and the ability for the motor to accept more timing.

The thing about old school setups with old school fuel and old school items is...

... they're tried and tested, and work. Even if they aren't the worlds greatest result, they work, and will continue to do so. 320kw bolt on package in a GTR is plenty to have fun with, day in, day out, enjoy car etc.

• Like 1

Hey Mate,

I have a very similar setup as you as looking to have fitted up.  I've running twin HKS GTRS (dash 10's, which are super laggy) plus 1000cc injectors, platinum pro, HKS EVC, NISMO intercooler, E85 fuel lines, external surge with twin 404's, plasmaman fuel rail and Tomei pon cams and cam gear.

I probably wouldn't go the Tomei manifold unless it's the cast model.  The stainless has a tendency to crack (which mine has) and then can play around with startup idle from time to time.  Plus I don't think that there is actually that big a gain over the standard manifolds.

I've running duel mapping for 98 and E85.  On 98 I'm making 305RWKW (at 19psi) and on E85 405RWKW (at 27psi).  Since you're running the Platinum Pro it can't hurt to have both E85 and 98 maps setup anyway.  It's then your decision whether you use E85 or 98 but at least you have the option. 

All my tuning work has been done by Adam and the boys at JEM and I can't fault their workmanship and expertise when it came working on and tuning my GTR.  

The setup isn't for everyone's taste, as most on the response, however, I like you I wanted it setup similar to the way it would have been done back in the day. 

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

I've had multiple cars inspected, worked on, tuned and troubleshooted including my R34 with -9s and supporting mods on power FC at MRC in Seven Hills in western sydney and very happy with his work, feedback and attitude towards tuning.  Have been back several times for other mods and troubleshooting and am happy to have found a good one-stop-shop in Mark.

3 hours ago, BlueThirtyFour said:

Hey Mate,

I have a very similar setup as you as looking to have fitted up.  I've running twin HKS GTRS (dash 10's, which are super laggy) plus 1000cc injectors, platinum pro, HKS EVC, NISMO intercooler, E85 fuel lines, external surge with twin 404's, plasmaman fuel rail and Tomei pon cams and cam gear.

I probably wouldn't go the Tomei manifold unless it's the cast model.  The stainless has a tendency to crack (which mine has) and then can play around with startup idle from time to time.  Plus I don't think that there is actually that big a gain over the standard manifolds.

I've running duel mapping for 98 and E85.  On 98 I'm making 305RWKW (at 19psi) and on E85 405RWKW (at 27psi).  Since you're running the Platinum Pro it can't hurt to have both E85 and 98 maps setup anyway.  It's then your decision whether you use E85 or 98 but at least you have the option. 

All my tuning work has been done by Adam and the boys at JEM and I can't fault their workmanship and expertise when it came working on and tuning my GTR.  

The setup isn't for everyone's taste, as most on the response, however, I like you I wanted it setup similar to the way it would have been done back in the day. 

Hey mate thanks for sharing we have close setups, I’ve actually been doing a bit of reaserch on JEM they have very good reputation from what I can see Adam seems like a good guy and at this stage he the number one pick. Would you change to -9 if the -10 is that laggy ? I was very close to getting the -5 but after looking at reviews I wanted more responsiveness 

1 hour ago, JGTC said:

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

I've had multiple cars inspected, worked on, tuned and troubleshooted including my R34 with -9s and supporting mods on power FC at MRC in Seven Hills in western sydney and very happy with his work, feedback and attitude towards tuning.  Have been back several times for other mods and troubleshooting and am happy to have found a good one-stop-shop in Mark.

Ok I’ll probalby have a chat with them for sure what power did you get out of the -9?