SAU Community

Barra swap R32 plan

Kai.exe

5 hours ago, Kai.exe said:

I've heard the Barra comes with a T56 manual 6 speed gearboxe, does the shifter still sit at the OEM location as the R32 original one?

So, why did you ask this question? The link  I posted said it lines up with original hole, which is seemingly useful info , now it turns out you already knew that 5 months ago?

also mentions you need to modify sump to fit a swaybar and space crossmember down. Also usfull info.

3 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

now it turns out you already knew that 5 months ago?

Mate you're trying so hard to pick on me for no reason. What is wrong with double checking the facts with people who have already done it on the internet? No one appreciates your attitude ngl

1 hour ago, Kai.exe said:

I appreciate your reply but that's not what I want to do. Everybody knows the Barra costs very cheap. If I wanted to swap to RB30 my post would've been about asking what's the best setup for an RB30.

As someone who has done an engine conversion in a skyline, I assure you a Barra is exponentially more expensive than a RB30. Even if you get the Barra for free.

An engine conversion is always the most expensive, hardest option. This is why they are rare. Especially in cars with good solid engines from the factory.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kinkstaah said:

As someone who has done an engine conversion in a skyline, I assure you a Barra is exponentially more expensive than a RB30. Even if you get the Barra for free.

I know that as a fact but that doesn't stop me from trying to do it, sir. And it doesn't hurt to learn more detailed knowledge about swapping an engine into a car from the internet. 

21 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

So, why did you ask this question? The link  I posted said it lines up with original hole, which is seemingly useful info , now it turns out you already knew that 5 months ago?

also mentions you need to modify sump to fit a swaybar and space crossmember down. Also usfull info.

12 minutes ago, Kai.exe said:

Mate you're trying so hard to pick on me for no reason. What is wrong with double checking the facts with people who have already done it on the internet? No one appreciates your attitude ngl

I appreciate his attitude. The best way to get the information you need is to actually start the project or go to wreckers and start measuring & weighing parts like a lot of did a long time ago.

The above link has enough info for me to plan this build. 

Weight difference between dressed motors is around 40kg from my few minutes of google search....... 

1 minute ago, Kai.exe said:

I know that as a fact but that doesn't stop me from trying to do it, sir. And it doesn't hurt to learn more detailed knowledge about swapping an engine into a car from the internet. 

No amount of internet knowledge compares to hands on experience. 

4 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

An engine conversion is always the most expensive, hardest option. This is why they are rare. Especially in cars with good solid engines from the factory.

If RB30s came with R32s from the factory I would've never thought of swapping engines, 2J perhaps. But if RBs are so solid, why are the people who swapped to V8s or JZs say that the swaps are a very good one time investment which saved them so much headache on the long run, but we're off topic right now again.....

1 minute ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Also in regards to this, you can't believe what the net says about weighing cars, or what Ford say, or Nissan say, or GM say. Safe to say my converted car did not weigh what I expected it to weigh either.

I am not regretting my LS swap from a 2.8L forged RB. Even though it's worse on performance, cost a ton, etc. Gotta remember you can't go back, no one goes back for that reason. Sunk cost fallacy is a thing.

I'm not saying don't do it. It's been done. Just be realistic about it. The words "budget" and "Cheap" and "Engine Conversion" could not be further apart. Ever.

How many RB30's are there compared to 2J, 1J, LS, Barra Skylines combined? Why do you think people chose to do that? Etc. There are reasons. Weigh them up, decide what you really want to do, get a budget, commit.

Then realise you need to triple that budget.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robbo_rb180 said:

I appreciate his attitude. The best way to get the information you need is to actually start the project or go to wreckers and start measuring & weighing parts like a lot of did a long time ago.

The above link has enough info for me to plan this build. 

Weight difference between dressed motors is around 40kg from my few minutes of google search....... 

His initial attitude was "Spoon feed the guy what he wants to hear people"  or "why do you care about the weight if you're so determined" which are both deleted by admin due to his attitude. 

Also about the Barra weight information on the internet, its all over the place, some people say its 195 kilos, some people say its 300, some say 250kilos, and that is the one major reason why I was trying to ask "if someone who has measured it's weight with a scale please do confirm it here" or something along the lines.

5 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Yet [ IT DOESN'T HURT TO LEARN MORE FROM THE INTERNET IF THEY'RE TRUTHFUL KNOWLEDGE ]

No gonna lie if it weren't for learning from the internet I would've still have a broken skyline on jack stands. I'm trying to be humble and learn stuff and idk since when did I become the punching bag for people.

6 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

Also in regards to this, you can't believe what the net says about weighing cars, or what Ford say, or Nissan say, or GM say. Safe to say my converted car did not weigh what I expected it to weigh either.

I am not regretting my LS swap from a 2.8L forged RB. Even though it's worse on performance, cost a ton, etc. Gotta remember you can't go back, no one goes back for that reason. Sunk cost fallacy is a thing.

I'm not saying don't do it. It's been done. Just be realistic about it. The words "budget" and "Cheap" and "Engine Conversion" could not be further apart. Ever.

How many RB30's are there compared to 2J, 1J, LS, Barra Skylines combined? Why do you think people chose to do that? Etc. There are reasons. Weigh them up, decide what you really want to do, get a budget, commit.

Then realise you need to triple that budget.

Thank you for the heads up.

That is exactly why I am trying to learn stuff from the internet, my mate swapped a 1J into his S14 kouki with his dad in their tiny garage within 2 months, car runs great and it cost him about 10k to do the swap which isn't half bad, and which is all because him and his dad did a ton of research of the existing engine swap formula that's been done over and over again for at least a decade, and thus he doesn't have to go through much trial and error and waste money,  a Barra swap on an R chassis might be a bit tricky since it's only been done only a few times, but it is still very much doable if the internet is willing to help me with what to look into.

But again I just needed to learn some detailed information about stuff like what axles to use, what driveshaft to use, if not compatible then what else is still good quality with a reasonable price, information about wiring harness, clearance, etc.. 

It's just not a good idea. The engine is just f**king huge. It is tall, it is long, it is wide, it is heavy. It doesn't fit under an R32 bonnet without buggering stuff up.

A 3.8L Jap V6 would be waaaaay cooler. Lighter, narrower (even though V6), leaving heaps of room for proper cooling. But no. Barra the world.

1 hour ago, Kai.exe said:

Yet [ IT DOESN'T HURT TO LEARN MORE FROM THE INTERNET IF THEY'RE TRUTHFUL KNOWLEDGE ]

No gonna lie if it weren't for learning from the internet I would've still have a broken skyline on jack stands. I'm trying to be humble and learn stuff and idk since when did I become the punching bag for people.

You are not a punching bag. People are trying to save you from a world of pain. At the end of the day if you do go ahead (and anything is possible given enough time, money and determination) you could end up with something you don't really like..

6 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

It's just not a good idea. The engine is just f**king huge. It is tall, it is long, it is wide, it is heavy. It doesn't fit under an R32 bonnet without buggering stuff up.

A 3.8L Jap V6 would be waaaaay cooler. Lighter, narrower (even though V6), leaving heaps of room for proper cooling. But no. Barra the world.

Look at the price of the VR38. If only that engine cost the same as a Barra I would've planned to swap a VR38 in. 

According to what you're saying, why do people do engine swaps at all? 

6 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

You are not a punching bag. People are trying to save you from a world of pain. At the end of the day if you do go ahead (and anything is possible given enough time, money and determination) you could end up with something you don't really like..

No engine swap is without pain involved especially from a different brand and I know that as a fact.

But the whole purpose of this post is to collect detailed info and valuable knowledge from people who have done the swap before already so the project gets a bit easier. 

"Saving you from the world of pain" more like discouraging speech and trying to convince someone to stop doing what they're doing only because you don't like it, doing this really defeats the purpose of the post.

I've see quite a lot of similar posts on forums of people trying to do unique things ending up getting dismissed by others in the comments just because they don't like the idea. I am sick and tired of it to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I think you should prove the haters wrong. Please get underway and run a build thread on here so we can follow your progress.

Yes sir, it will take a bit of time to prepare everything and get started, it might even take years to finish the build if it's what it takes but I am down to do it for real.

3 hours ago, Kai.exe said:

Look at the price of the VR38. If only that engine cost the same as a Barra I would've planned to swap a VR38 in. 

According to what you're saying, why do people do engine swaps at all? 

Muppet! Who said anything about VR38. There are other brands and other engines. Think Toyota for a start. Even bloody Mitsu had one.

Hell, do a Euro V8 transplant. Any of these make more sense than a Barra, and still not much sense at that.

15 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Muppet! Who said anything about VR38. There are other brands and other engines. Think Toyota for a start. Even bloody Mitsu had one.

Hell, do a Euro V8 transplant. Any of these make more sense than a Barra, and still not much sense at that.

Hey man, that's one of the reasons why I was trying to figure out how many KG does a Barra bare long block weigh, if it's true that it's lighter than an RB or a JZ, then great! If its heavier, I'd be doing stuff like adding weight to the back of the car to balance it out. 

Given that most engine swaps are equally difficult, that basically means swap the engine what you think is ideal, and this leads to the topic that I like the fact how the Barra makes max torque at around 2700 rpm and has variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust cams, comes with a T56 gearbox, has less of a headache than an RB when it comes to addressing reliability issues. The fact that it makes a lot of torque but it's still an inline 6, that's one of the biggest reason why I like it.

I think engine swaps doesn't need to make sense most of the time, look at Mad Mike from NZ, why do you think he swaps Rotary into everything? Rotaries sound great but have very shit gas mileage, why does he swap the doritos into everything? It's all personal preference.