SAU Community

RB Reimax Water Pumps - High Flow Designs - Anyone used them?

I have a 55mm PWR twin pass radiator (tanks on the sides). 

I had issues with my cooling system. This is how I fixed it.

55mm PWR Radiator, older 80mm Intercooler, 16 row oil cooler, stock N1 water pump.
6 laps, water temp at 112, had to back off. 

55mm PWR radiator, new A.R.E Intercooler, larger, more airflow, 16 row oil cooler, stock N1 water pump.
6 laps, water temp at 104, but still rising. 

55mm PWR radiator, new A.R.E Intercooler that is larger and more airflow, massive 900 x 300 Oil cooler, dry sump. 
6 laps. Water temp at 85 and holding. Oil temp barely 85 degrees. 

If you are having heating issues, a few things I have noticed:

- Intercoolers sometimes block the airflow to the radiator - Get a better one. Larger area, wider spacing
- Oil coolers - the bigger the better. Takes heaps of load away from the engine coolant system
- Vacuum on the radiator outlet. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Mafia said:

Oil coolers - the bigger the better. Takes heaps of load away from the engine coolant system

Same experience here too, went from a 19 row Mocal core (sandwiched between FMIC & A/C condenser) to a 25 row Setrab cooler in the driverside front duct/bar area.

Water temp never got past high 90s on a warm day at Wakefield Park doing at least 6~8 hot laps per session (until the tyres gave way). Oil temperature would have been max 110.

3 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Same experience here too, went from a 19 row Mocal core (sandwiched between FMIC & A/C condenser) to a 25 row Setrab cooler in the driverside front duct/bar area.

Water temp never got past high 90s on a warm day at Wakefield Park doing at least 6~8 hot laps per session (until the tyres gave way). Oil temperature would have been max 110.

How much power is this? I'm fatally attracted to stupid JDM nonsense so I got an HKS 15 row oil cooler and I'm wondering now if that's really not going to be enough even at 300 kW to the wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so we swapped the water pumps. Haven't started it as doing other work, so it will be a few weeks, but this is the pump that came out of my motor, 8 blade Nissan. 

You can see the size difference. We measured the internal housing dimensions and they are identical. Fingers crossed this puppy lives up to its hype.

IMG_2795.JPEG

IMG_2794.JPEG

• Like 2

On 19/09/2022 at 1:04 PM, The Mafia said:

If you are having heating issues, a few things I have noticed:

- Intercoolers sometimes block the airflow to the radiator - Get a better one. Larger area, wider spacing
- Oil coolers - the bigger the better. Takes heaps of load away from the engine coolant system
- Vacuum on the radiator outlet. 

What do you mean by that?

1 hour ago, Predator1 said:

Right, so we swapped the water pumps. Haven't started it as doing other work, so it will be a few weeks, but this is the pump that came out of my motor, 8 blade Nissan. 

You can see the size difference. We measured the internal housing dimensions and they are identical. Fingers crossed this puppy lives up to its hype.

Looking at that, it's going to flow more for sure. 

Be really interesting to see what the HP cost of it is at higher rpm. 

Please do report back how it goes. 

1 hour ago, Butters said:

Be really interesting to see what the HP cost of it is at higher rpm.

Water flow rate is controlled by the thermostat. So, despite the higher maximum capacity of the pump, the actual operating capacity will be whatever the flowrate that is required to achieve the cooling determined by the water temp at the thermostat. Pump power is proportional to both mass flow rate and pressure rise. Assuming that the pump ends up making a bit more head against the restriction caused by the thermostat, then the power rise will only be because of that additional (wasted) pressure and not from any extra flow.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 9:40 AM, Predator1 said:

IMG_2795.JPEG

IMG_2794.JPEG

Sweet !

let us know how you go with before and after results please !

2 hours ago, SiR_RB said:

Just saw reimax has 2 types of rb high flow water pumps 

the normal high flow pumps which flows around 220L/M

and a group A water pump which flows 250L/M

Yep thats it. OEM flows around 160lph, but I've never been able to figure out how the testing is done.. ie at what revs etc.

35 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

I thought the issue was the normal pump cavitates and that was the reason why they made the n1 pump which flows less to prevent it. 

35 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

I thought the issue was the normal pump cavitates and that was the reason why they made the n1 pump which flows less to prevent it. 

The n1 flows more according to the above flow rates + anti cavitation plate 

2 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Average over what? Time? Rev range? Ignoring the dictates of the thermostat? Exactly what do you mean?

Meaning that it just flows more overall. Flows more at low RPM, flows more at mid RPM, flows more at high RPM? It just generally looks like a bigger pump. 

Obviously when you need the extra cooling.