SAU Community

Twin turbo upgrade R33 GTR

On 21/04/2022 at 5:32 PM, joshuaho96 said:

I like my gloves, but I'm a desk jockey that gets sore all over after rotating my tires and bleeding brakes.

Same here. Always need to wear those Ansell gloves after not working on cars for a decade + soft skin

I have 2 pairs of standard R32/R33 turbos if you want hehe (good condition)

• Like 1

On 22/4/2022 at 9:37 PM, RB335 said:

Spectrum Motorsports (Sold through Up Garage?) , appear to do twin turbos based on modern Garrett wheels.  May be worth looking into but unsure of anyone in Australia who has ran them

https://www.spectrummotorsportssolutions.com/collections/gt-r/products/r32-r33-r34-rb26-smr600

good thread to read for twin guys wanted to put ‘billet’ wheels into compact GTR junker housings.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 3:43 AM, niZmO_Man said:

Same here. Always need to wear those Ansell gloves after not working on cars for a decade + soft skin

I have 2 pairs of standard R32/R33 turbos if you want hehe (good condition)

I still debate what to do there honestly, the original turbos were covered in either a ton of blowby from the decades or seeping a little from the seals and I couldn't ship them with the car anyways. As far as I can tell nobody really rebuilds turbos with the factory ceramic turbine either. I'm also not sure that anyone cares about having the factory ceramic turbos, even for weird obsessives like me. Then again you have the Contempo Concepts of the world trying to source series 1 R32 steering wheels because the later revisions have slightly wider spokes which is unacceptable to them.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:03 PM, Piggaz said:

good thread to read for twin guys wanted to put ‘billet’ wheels into compact GTR junker housings.

I'm pretty sure you're right but it's kind of interesting to see the kinds of results that this tuner got with the magical beans.

244705525_ScreenShot2022-04-22at11_28_48PM.thumb.png.f5690590eaa9b9134362266577c1f4d4.png

They also report differences between the HKS 2530 turbos and the Garrett -5s which is interesting:

1613610769_ScreenShot2022-04-22at11_36_52PM.thumb.png.08a15f57998d8a530aa93da2be85177a.png

How real any of this is an open question but they sure sold me on the HKS magic bean journal bearing nuggets. Well, that and a lot of staring at Kansai Service/Midori Seibi dyno charts to get a sense for how they compared to the other relatively low power bolt-on turbos.

The factory ceramic turbos are garbage. They spool slightly better than anything else available but fall over as soon as they reach peak 15psi of boost in the mid range compared to anything else in the real world. Reality = garbage mid to top end output meaning car is actually slower and more underwhelming as you don't drive a GTR in the 2 - 4000rpm range expecting it to be the most awesome thing ever developed.

Also Garrett -5 is not original HKS 2530 direct equivalent - close but not the same. HKS 2530 will always make more power than a -5 with better overall power curve which I thought everyone knew by now. These billet wheels into existing housings are also stupid as it ends up being way to much compressor flow for the turbine side to handle as Paul pointed out equalling nugget response.

I suggest to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and find this RB26 spool nirvana ideology that doesn't exist. If you must twin turbo I'd sell your heap of shit journal bearing MHI based HKS GTIII-SS turbos and just run ball bearing -7 / -9 Garretts like the rest of the world running half decent low mount twins, or find a set of old HKS 2530s for that extra top end.

You'll be happier for it guaranteed 👍

(Until you try a single that is 😄)

• Like 1

On 23/04/2022 at 9:58 PM, BK said:

If you must twin turbo I'd sell your heap of shit journal bearing MHI based HKS GT-III GT-SS turbos

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

They do remind me of Kando/Kinugawa turbos but that's maybe due to my biased opinion and the fact that I despise twin turbo upgrades on a RB26s.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The Kinugawa bolt-on turbos for RB26 are far larger than the -7s, it also lacks the HKS logo for extra JDM tyte points for cars and coffee. The goal isn't really to go for big power. The GTIII-SS obviously is down on response from bearing drag but it's a smaller turbo than the GT-SS. It's pretty much the smallest turbo readily available for the RB26 other than the factory ceramics. It's not going to impress anyone with numbers but if that was the goal I'd buy a Lucid Air.

On 24/4/2022 at 12:05 PM, r32-25t said:

So what you’re saying is the gt3-ss is the worst bolt on gtr turbos hks have ever made 

GT - RS’s would have to be number 1, surely.

• Haha 1

On 24/04/2022 at 5:53 PM, Piggaz said:

I guess it depends how you look at it. The GTIII-SS for choking the turbo with a turbine and exhaust housing too small or just lag city with the GT-RS being way too big to be useful on the compressor side.

GTIII-SS wins for being pointless but yeah, RS probably as 💩

On 24/4/2022 at 6:23 PM, Piggaz said:

Dunno. GTRS are laggy but at least make some power, these are laggy and don’t make power. Sounds like a double loss 

• Haha 1

On 24/04/2022 at 9:24 PM, r32-25t said:

Dunno. GTRS are laggy but at least make some power, these are laggy and don’t make power. Sounds like a double loss 

That's about right. Image how bad the GTIII-RS would be ?

• Haha 2

On 24/4/2022 at 10:18 PM, BK said:

That's about right. Image how bad the GTIII-RS would be ?

We keep talking about these Japanese companies being stuck in the 90s but I guess now they’re moving towards the 80s 

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2022 at 4:08 AM, BK said:

I guess it depends how you look at it. The GTIII-SS for choking the turbo with a turbine and exhaust housing too small or just lag city with the GT-RS being way too big to be useful on the compressor side.

GTIII-SS wins for being pointless but yeah, RS probably as 💩

Is the GTIII-SS actually mismatched between compressor and turbine? I've never been able to find any information on it. Only thing I know is the exhaust housing a/r is 0.54. 

On 25/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

A few twin turbo advocates here turned single turbo activists.

That's saying something. One guy *cough* Pig.. *cough* gaz famously said "I wouldn't change a thing" on his twin GT-RS RB26 with Tomei brap cams.

Well not sure whatever happened to that setup.

If I dig deep enough I could find that post too… but that was circa 2009 man. 🤣