SAU Community

Billet Blocks - Oiling ?

Billet: 60 deg oil and water and send it

Other thing to consider is cast blocks other than potential cracking and splitting bores which is just a flip of a coin is keeping the head on. 11mm head studs vs 1/2" needed to keep a head on properly and not really enough material in the cast blocks to keep 1/2" safe n sound for too long

Btw talking consistant big power applications 

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

So this is pretty much my billet block on street nightmare come true, looks like safety's saved him though. 

11:34 if your link resets the start point. 

He’s using an aftermarket power steering pump on the car and I’m yet to see one that doesn’t have that issue, maybe he should have used an electric power steering pump because it also doesn’t allow him to fit the second fan supplied by hypertune 

Man that engine surely copped damage from that.

It wasn't under power but it spun for ages on the run down, that can't have been healthy. Can't believe he just looked at the cam lobes and oil and was happy .

His theory of the belt could have gone any direction and not caused trouble makes no sense, it can't just shoot off and miss the oil pump belt, it can only possibly do what it did.

19 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Man that engine surely copped damage from that.

It wasn't under power but it spun for ages on the run down, that can't have been healthy. Can't believe he just looked at the cam lobes and oil and was happy .

His theory of the belt could have gone any direction and not caused trouble makes no sense, it can't just shoot off and miss the oil pump belt, it can only possibly do what it did.

I was confused about that as well, watching and thinking “where else can it go?”

Billets are sick. 

12 mins mine takes from dead cold to be able to drive.

Just start it and go back inside wash your face, brush your teeth, get ready and it'll be good to go.

Lighter, stronger, newer.

Anyone who says you can't drive it on the street is talking nonsense.

• Like 1

Surely if someone can warrant a billet block, the idea of that car being a daily driver is long gone. It’s a toy that’s taken out when you want. It can still be a street car. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

....I understand the upsides, but most people would consider waiting 12 minutes to drive the car after starting it to be a drawback for daily driving....

Yeah I'm not leaving a car idling for 12 minutes before driving it, even if I did that regularly I would want the option to be able to count 10 seconds and put it in gear. I would be afraid to forget and immediately trash my engine in the process.

3 hours ago, Piggaz said:

Surely if someone can warrant a billet block, the idea of that car being a daily driver is long gone. It’s a toy that’s taken out when you want. It can still be a street car. 🤷‍♂️

Correct, its a 1000hp+ roll racing / weekender.

600hp stock bottom end different story.

But even with a cast, 4 digit power levels built motors, you would want to spend a similar amount of time to warm your car up and get it on temp.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

Yeah I'm not leaving a car idling for 12 minutes before driving it, even if I did that regularly I would want the option to be able to count 10 seconds and put it in gear. I would be afraid to forget and immediately trash my engine in the process.

You’ll never build a car that makes enough power to out flow the stock injectors let alone need a block. 

Like piggaz and usmair said, these are toys, they aren’t daily’s! We aren’t using them to take grandma to bingo! Having to warm an engine up that cost over 50k to build is a very small price to pay 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

You’ll never build a car that makes enough power to out flow the stock injectors let alone need a block. 

Like piggaz and usmair said, these are toys, they aren’t daily’s! We aren’t using them to take grandma to bingo! Having to warm an engine up that cost over 50k to build is a very small price to pay 

Sure, but at some point I'm going to be in the market for a block regardless and stuff like that will be a dealbreaker regardless of whether I spend 10k or 50k or 80k on the whole package.

12 hours ago, usmair said:

Billets are sick. 

12 mins mine takes from dead cold to be able to drive.

Just start it and go back inside wash your face, brush your teeth, get ready and it'll be good to go.

Lighter, stronger, newer.

Anyone who says you can't drive it on the street is talking nonsense.

I don't think anyone says you can't drive it on street. It's HOW streetable and that is always going to come down to what a person wants and circumstances. 

12min for me is a garage full of e85 fumes, or roller door up whilst drivers by gawk at my other cars.  Plus I have young kids which I am often escaping from whilst they sleep. Then the neighbors, one across the road has a lambo, who idles for 10min before driving, he's had the council called on him from other neighbors.  

So if i  was living the dream on an acre property and separate shed from house, probably have a billet block already and cheerish the 12mins of listening to my car idle whilst my brain soaks some e85. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joshuaho96 said:

I've been told RBs snap cams and spin bearings if you look at them wrong so any day now I'm preparing for a big engine build.

There’s only one person that says they snap cams and he’s the biggest troll on YouTube, they won’t spin a bearing unless your tune is junk or you try and track it with a factory sump 

1 hour ago, Butters said:

I don't think anyone says you can't drive it on street. It's HOW streetable and that is always going to come down to what a person wants and circumstances. 

12min for me is a garage full of e85 fumes, or roller door up whilst drivers by gawk at my other cars.  Plus I have young kids which I am often escaping from whilst they sleep. Then the neighbors, one across the road has a lambo, who idles for 10min before driving, he's had the council called on him from other neighbors.  

So if i  was living the dream on an acre property and separate shed from house, probably have a billet block already and cheerish the 12mins of listening to my car idle whilst my brain soaks some e85. 

But you would have the same issue with a prepped built cast block? Surely you would warm up anything making decent power to its operating temps before driving it.

Before going billet, I did the same with my cast Block and that took around 10mins anyway.

Billet has actually made the car quiter somehow as well.