SAU Community

Stagea Suspension

Sydneykid

• 1 month later...

Greetings all. I have an '04 PNM35 and I have a creaking/cracking noise from both sides at the front. At first I thought it might be bushes on the way out but a few robust runs over speed bumps has shown it only happens when on the brakes, and sometimes just after getting off them. I can't replicate the sound when I'm not braking. Turning without braking doesn't bring the sound about either, all the way up to near-heli speeds/steering angles.

Could it be up with the brakes or is it more likely the bushes needing to be loaded up a certain way before the noise makes itself known? I see UCA bushes have been mentioned by others (w00t I used search! Although possibly badly) but it seems strange that it's only when brakes are involved.

Also seems strange that it's come about after only 68,000kms but she's a hefty whale so meh.

Compression Rod bushes.

These absorb all braking & steering loads; so with a braking load applied, then introducing a compression load; you will hear the bush creak, as it will likely be split.

Compression Rod bushes.

These absorb all braking & steering loads; so with a braking load applied, then introducing a compression load; you will hear the bush creak, as it will likely be split.

Ok dumb question, but where are compression rod bushes located? I think mine is on its way out.

The compression rods run from the hub back to the chassis, the bent black cast steel rod underneath and behind the front wheels. The large rubber bush is prone to failure but needs to be pressed out and pressed back in. I usually fit the offset polyurethane bushes in their place for better handling.

For anyone in Melbourne I can supply and fit these, and usually have stock, Craig can help the sydney guys out. It will make a marked improvement to handling and turn in.

Does anyone know what the difference between the caster rod arms between a 4wd c34 stagea to a r33 gtst or r34 gtt?

Is it just the bush that's different or is the arm completely different aswell?

Although not listed specifically for Stagea; I'd take a punt with R33 GTR bushings as the closest relative, for which Whiteline lists replacement caster rod bushes;

W81995 W81956.JPG

and KLC332; KCA332.jpg

The latter being a caster adjustable urethane bushing, the former being a fixed position urethane replacement.

The O.D. of the bush is the critical difference between AWD & RWD. The RWD bushing is around 10mm smaller O.D. from memory.

If you'd like to measure the bush end of the Caster rod; I can tell you which one is the correct one.

Thanks Daleo. I have far too much experience changing Commodore front end bushes, but basically compression rod = radius rod?

Yes mate; same deal. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the difference between the caster rod arms between a 4wd c34 stagea to a r33 gtst or r34 gtt?Is it just the bush that's different or is the arm completely different aswell?

I got r33 gtr adjustable castor rods in my s2 rs4s fitted no problem!

• 3 weeks later...

I got sick of the constant clank noises every time I passed over a bump.... Discovered the whiteline sway bar end links were shot... Replaced with some "generic" end links cut to size and problem fixed!

Anybody else who suffers from clunks and noises in the front of their c34 don't be so quick to blame your coilovers! (As I did)

• 2 months later...

I was blaming my front shocks for a creaking/squeeking noise in the front of my series 2 C34 (~50,000km-old Bilsteins), but now I am thinking maybe it's sway bar links.

Upper caster bushes have been replaced 3 x in the last 18 months or so, so I'm hoping it's not them (currently Super Roo brand). Does sway bar links sound like a reasonable place to start?

I got sick of the constant clank noises every time I passed over a bump.... Discovered the whiteline sway bar end links were shot... Replaced with some "generic" end links cut to size and problem fixed!

Anybody else who suffers from clunks and noises in the front of their c34 don't be so quick to blame your coilovers! (As I did)

What type of Whiteline links were you using; Were they the H/D style? Did you buy them through me?

You should have returned them to a Whiteline dealer for replacement. They are very receptive to warranty & return issues.

PM me if you still have them ok?

What type of Whiteline links were you using; Were they the H/D style? Did you buy them through me?

You should have returned them to a Whiteline dealer for replacement. They are very receptive to warranty & return issues.

PM me if you still have them ok?

Sorry I don't recall the part number / model - I don't think they were the heavy duty ones looking at the on-line catalogue though. They had a good run, well over 3 years and more than 50,000kms...

I was blaming my front shocks for a creaking/squeeking noise in the front of my series 2 C34 (~50,000km-old Bilsteins), but now I am thinking maybe it's sway bar links.

Upper caster bushes have been replaced 3 x in the last 18 months or so, so I'm hoping it's not them (currently Super Roo brand). Does sway bar links sound like a reasonable place to start?

I found that rocking the car left to right (whilst parked on a flat surface using the roof rails as handles) would re-produce the sound... Give this a try, you might need somebody else to check where the sounds coming from though!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, trying to get my wheel alignment sorted, and have found that the drivers rear toe arm bolt has been done up waaaaaayyyyyy to tight and won't come off. It is pretty much round now after them trying to use all kinds of gripping tools to try and get it to shift and it's just tearing it apart. Looking like it will have to be cut out and replaced. The question being could anyone assist with sourcing one, ie send me one off a wreck, give me a genuine nissan part number, anything at all? Just to be clear I am talking about the eccentric/concentric (what ever it is) one on the car end of the arm.