SAU Community

Stagea Wheel Dimensions?

thedriver

You need more castor - i have mine over 5 (can't find the chart ATM) to give more straight lline steadiness at top speeds.

Yes I do! It never really feels like you're going in a straight line somehow... I guess it's what the magazines describe as "poor on-centre feel". I'll use some Whiteline bushes as specified in the group buy. Biggest problem seems to be the rear camber correction - it's at max factory adjustment now, with still ~1.5 degrees negative that's too much for a ride height of ~400mm... to go down to my target ~375 I just know I will need camber arms. Can only find cheap pillow-ball ones though; anyone know if Whiteline's KCA118 will fit S2 stagea?

Looked at some 350Z wheels I am bidding on and tried them. They fit fine on my S1 lowered about 35mm. They are 18in by 8 offset +30(5stud x114,3). Potenzas front 225/45 18 rear 245/45 18

Are the different sizes/rolling circumferences going to be ok? (~2.7% difference?)

Yes I do! It never really feels like you're going in a straight line somehow... I guess it's what the magazines describe as "poor on-centre feel". I'll use some Whiteline bushes as specified in the group buy. Biggest problem seems to be the rear camber correction - it's at max factory adjustment now, with still ~1.5 degrees negative that's too much for a ride height of ~400mm... to go down to my target ~375 I just know I will need camber arms. Can only find cheap pillow-ball ones though; anyone know if Whiteline's KCA118 will fit S2 stagea?

Are the different sizes/rolling circumferences going to be ok? (~2.7% difference?)

i think so but at $400 i'm just buying them for the rims -am looking at getting 4 RE050 245/45/18s

i think so but at $400 i'm just buying them for the rims -am looking at getting 4 RE050 245/45/18s

Cool, that's a pretty damn good price. On the subject of budget tyres... 1 x plug for Maxxis MA-Z1 Victras, 235/45/R17 @ $165 each. They won some wheels magazine award few years back, it's on this forum somewhere... but yeah the RE050 is probably a better dry-weather tyre, I dunno.

A warning though, the Maxxis MA-Z1's can be a bit noisy on certain cars. My sister has got them on her Mazda3 and the road noise when driving at city/metro speeds is higher than I'd expected.

I just put a set of Federal 595-SS's on my car with the V35 mags, and I'm stunned that there's almost no road noise at all, especially seeing as they're rated as a much higher-performing tyre than the Maxxis ones.

A warning though, the Maxxis MA-Z1's can be a bit noisy on certain cars. My sister has got them on her Mazda3 and the road noise when driving at city/metro speeds is higher than I'd expected.

I just put a set of Federal 595-SS's on my car with the V35 mags, and I'm stunned that there's almost no road noise at all, especially seeing as they're rated as a much higher-performing tyre than the Maxxis ones.

the harder the tyre and the worse the design the more road noise hence maxxis ones are cheap chinese rubbish, there on my missus mazda 2 and they are dangerous in the wet.

my moderatly priced kumho's ok nothing to brag about. my last toyo's top stuff no noise and corner that hard it whould lift the inside wheel off the deck.(whish i could rember exactly what they where) all i know top coin $260 ea = top tyre

You're right about the road noise - noticeable increase on the stagea. not so much that it bothers me though (and they are still new) plus I went to lower profile and 17's; the tread is pretty chunky definitely an all-weather tyre. Haven't noticed anything bad about their handling; at least as good as the 16's I had on before. Wheels magazine seems to think they're great... there's a reference to the review on these forums somewhere. at $165 a tyre I chose them for their value!

btw there's also a drift version ( :P )

Edited by DaveB

• 4 weeks later...
hey just waking this thread up with a question , answer may make me happy or sad

18x8 i guessing front and rear ..

offset +52 ....

any way to get those on a stagea s2 ? :D:D ANY WAY

I calculate that my R33 GTR rims (17 x 9) site 152.3 mm out, which is pretty much the edge of the guards. I calculate that your rims (18 x 8 - the 18 doesn't matter, only the width I'm considering here) will sit about 153.6 mm out

So on paper I'd say yes, they'll definitely go at the front... rear may be marginal because they're so close to the body, the lip inside the fender might interfere with your tyres a bit I'm not sure. Don't take my word for it though I'm going completely on what I calculated "on paper". Anyone else? Mike?

I calculate that my R33 GTR rims (17 x 9) site 152.3 mm out, which is pretty much the edge of the guards. I calculate that your rims (18 x 8 - the 18 doesn't matter, only the width I'm considering here) will sit about 153.6 mm out

So on paper I'd say yes, they'll definitely go at the front... rear may be marginal because they're so close to the body, the lip inside the fender might interfere with your tyres a bit I'm not sure. Don't take my word for it though I'm going completely on what I calculated "on paper". Anyone else? Mike?

haha

IMO don't bother with them.

an 8+52 will sit 35mm in from the gtr wheel on the face edge, and you'll have 9mm less inner clearance. from memory 33gtr wheels are bloody close to the struts on the rear as it is (often foul on the locking rings of the coilovers as pete found out)

look for a lower offset, an 18x8+20 will sit about the same as an r33/34gtr wheel

TJ, I seriously doubt they will fit. The offset is too high, in my opinion, so the wheel will be tucked WAY inside the guard, and like Mike says, the clearance to the suspension struts will be either ridiculously close, or they'll be literally pushing the struts out of the way in an attempt to sit on the face of the hub...

At a guess, I'd say that's a FWD offset.

TJ, I seriously doubt they will fit. The offset is too high, in my opinion, so the wheel will be tucked WAY inside the guard, and like Mike says, the clearance to the suspension struts will be either ridiculously close, or they'll be literally pushing the struts out of the way in an attempt to sit on the face of the hub...

At a guess, I'd say that's a FWD offset.

My street tyres are on 16in V35 Skyline rims and I have a set of semislicks on R32GTR rims which are 16 x 8 and have an offset of +30 which seems to be a pretty good ofset for an 8in rim - tyres are in line with body and there is plenty of clearance inside. I just missed out on a set of 18 x 8in 350Z wheels which look good on a Stagea ( I tried them on but missed out on the auction).

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what the lowest offset 19x9 or 20 x9s would fit on a m35 with little to no gaurd work and minimal neg camber? what would be the ideal width, offset etc? i'm thinking 19 0r 20 X9 +25 all round with a slightly steched tyre maybe a 235 30? sitting pretty low on coilovers too

Anyone know what the lowest offset 19x9 or 20 x9s would fit on a m35 with little to no gaurd work and minimal neg camber? what would be the ideal width, offset etc? i'm thinking 19 0r 20 X9 +25 all round with a slightly steched tyre maybe a 235 30? sitting pretty low on coilovers too

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question only more questions. Why would you want 9in rims and then get narrower tyres and "stretch" them? You would degrade both the handling (cornering ability) and ride (comfort) especially with 30 profile tyres.

• 1 month later...

G'day all,

I can confirm that 18x9" rims, offset +38, will fit on a Stagea (S1) with 235/40R18's... the rear wheels do not foul the rear guards running -0.6 deg camber (on the rears). My guards are not pulled/rolled and I have stock struts and spring seats but lowered HD springs.

I can't comment on what the front's would do to stock guards as my stag's front bodykit is pumped... so not even close to fouling.

The rims are barely proud of the rear guards when looking straight down so you could prob argue the case with a copper trying to give you a defect and get away with it... (haven't tried it yet, haven't had to thank god)

I have about an index finger (prob >25mm) clearance between inside of tyre/rim and hub knuckle/upper control arm mount on both front and rear.

Due to the clearance I have inside and the clearance on the outside of the rears, I would suggest that the +38 offest is pretty much spot on/ideal as any increase in treadwidth would yield about the same reduction in clearance to both the hub assy and the rear guard.

I am pretty sure that 245's will fit but am unsure whether they will be ok in a 40 profile and I may need to go to 35 profile. It depends on the tyre manufacture and how they make their section/carcasses. I have a mismatch of Ventus and Eagle LS2000's on (not for much longer) and the ventus sit a lot squarer on the 9" rims than the Eagles do, the Goodyears look stretched. It should be noted that 9' rims are still within the limits tyre manufactures offer for 235's, so that sorta "stretching" is ok, just not so good for a drag car.

If anyone would like photos I can put some up 2moro arvo to give you a visual of what I am describing above.

should be (fingers crossed) getttin a set of 18x8's on wednesday next week, offset of +20 with some falken 235/40/r18's on them, all up gonna cost me roughly 2k, will post some pics up as soon as i get em on :D:P:D :D