SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Alrighty, part where everyone gets excited..

Details:

• Hypergear SS2
  • 45mm Turbosmart External Gate off Housing (thanks scotty_mn35)
  • E85
  • 1.6bar boost, made more power on 1.5bar
  • IAT shot up to 50 degrees, subsequently lost 3 degrees of timing (I take 1 degree off every 5 degrees above 35)
  • Stock motor
  • Stock manifold, stock plenum

Timing Map:

post-22311-0-33751700-1419289160_thumb.png

Dyno Reading at Power Tune:

post-22311-0-75839700-1419289162_thumb.png

Virtual Dyno Reading (Using Log File on the same run at Power Tune):

post-22311-0-72358800-1419289159_thumb.png

• Like 2

Alrighty, part where everyone gets excited..

awesome result. just out of curiosity did you try to add timing and lower boost in the top end while on the dyno to try pull IAT's down a bit? if so what happened?

Edited by Blackkers

awesome result. just out of curiosity did you try to add timing and lower boost in the top end while on the dyno to try pull IAT's down a bit? if so what happened?

Car was just at a dyno day at Powertune so I wasn't controlling the runs..

I did tell Chea to run the car with different boost settings, but at 1.6bar it bled down to 1.5bar. Ended up doing 1x run at 1.5 bar and 2x runs at 1.6bar...

I'll upgrade the FMIC and then hire out a dyno and pump more timing through the motor. Adam at Powertune did say my manifold was glowing red by the 2nd run. Signs of high EGTs and/or flow restrictions.. probably won't get round to doing any of what I said till February.. barely have time to do anything with the car these days lol

Johnny,

Your approach is probably wrong. 50°C IAT is nothing. Certainly not enough to be pulling lots of timing out. You really need to listen for knock properly and decide where/when it becomes apparent and make the tune safely away from there in the usual manner that people have always done. When you're pulling timing at those relatively mild IATs, you're causing high(er) EGT.

You're using E85 which will smother the effect of hot air a lot better than 98 will. Gives you so much extra protection that you're probably massively overdoing the engine protection routine by backing off the timing the way you are. If you wanted to be fussy about it you'd be better off pulling boost off it as the IAT goes up.

Problem is with E85 you can't really hear knock.... I do monitor for knock but regardless of timing or boost levels put through the motor the knock readings are pretty similar (mind you it's just a basic knock monitor I'm using with the Adaptronic).

I was always under the impression IATs past 50 degrees Celsius is bad, thus I pull back 3 degrees at that point.

Most of the runs have been with Virtual Dyno used to estimate torque/power gain. I did some logging when I was at Wakefield too with the laptop under the front seat strapped down.

I can't pull boost as IAT increase as the ECU doesn't have that feature and also I use a dedicated EBC which allows for quick changes of settings.

In saying that the tune isn't complete, I haven't hired a dyno to finalise and push the tune further as I was still ironing out some bugs.. hopefully will do that after the new year once the shop I hire the dyno opens back up for business again.

Just a note 3 day turnaround Maybe??? ,Then 7days to post back WTF??? ,if you go this route make sure you ask for an express post return , don't assume they will post it express unless you ask !! And yes I did call and ask about the turna round time ,etc etc , just sayin so others don't get caught with with a car siting in a work shop

Yeah COD is often awkward like that. I had waited a while before checking with the post office that said they'd had it for a week... I was never notified. Not hypergear's fault though and the turbo was worth the wait!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope every one had a lovely new year. :turned:

I've spent a lot of time but haven't had alot of luck with the GTR yet, I've fitted over 20 different combination of turbochargers to it and yet can not get it to reach 20psi any quicker then 4300RPM. Due to the lack of VCT, the head doesn't like boost down low either, result in a violent surge working with smaller turbochargers, Then the only way out is by creating more lag.

How ever I'm narrowing down to a few sets of wheel and housing combinations for the most responsive 400awkws as possible. Will be doing further evaluations with it using adjustable cam gears down the track.

Result sent in by another member that is currently using our 21U high flow running E85 fuel making a super responsive 311rwkws on 20psi internally gated. That is on a R33 Rb25det stock engine.

power.jpg

boost.jpg