SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Here is what happened. A mate of a customer shown interest of buying the test car, welling to pay my asking price but requested for a compression test at a known workshop that few of my customers went and have sent me a number of jobs in the past. (Not chequrered tuning or any one from the SE).

The car was perfect, drove in to the work shop. They did a comp test, all came up to 170 psi. After the plugs were put in, crank and straight way there was a knocking sound in the engine. The mechanic "one of my customer" also found a missing coil pack bolt that I know it was not missing from start. I'm 90% sure some that was dropped into a spark plug hole, but the shop owner tries to convince me its a knocking sound from end bearings. LoL. With oil pressure gauge alive and sender gage disengaged, it obviously makes no sense. I'm f*ken pissed off at this point but did not wish to turn at all those familiar faces. So that was the end of it.

I'm leaning towards of doing some work on Rb20dets. After all that's the only engine that I've missed out and the project will be very challenging.

Here is what happened. A mate of a customer shown interest of buying the test car, welling to pay my asking price but requested for a compression test at a known workshop that few of my customers went and have sent me a number of jobs in the past. (Not chequrered tuning or any one from the SE).

The car was perfect, drove in to the work shop. They did a comp test, all came up to 170 psi. After the plugs were put in, crank and straight way there was a knocking sound in the engine. The mechanic "one of my customer" also found a missing coil pack bolt that I know it was not missing from start. I'm 90% sure some that was dropped into a spark plug hole, but the shop owner tries to convince me its a knocking sound from end bearings. LoL. With oil pressure gauge alive and sender gage disengaged, it obviously makes no sense. I'm f*ken pissed off at this point but did not wish to turn at all those familiar faces. So that was the end of it.

I'm leaning towards of doing some work on Rb20dets. After all that's the only engine that I've missed out and the project will be very challenging.

90% of people drop rb20's in the bin. So I wouldn't bother.

What I'm interested in is RB25Neo, not DET the NA ones.

Higher compression, better response, on E85 with mild boost.

Mention is to Trent, see what he says ?

couldn't you just put a bore scope in the cylinders and see the marks it would have made as well as throw the compression tester back on there and show that its no longer the 170 across the cylinders to prove they f**ked it and 'you broke it you bought it'.

?

also why didn't you do the compression test yourself in your shop?

The buyer only trust that particular workshop, no one expected this issue. The car drove perfectly to the point when it was powered up again after the comp test.

The comp tester shown very little change after, its a metal "bashing around" sound from the upper half of engine. Work shop had a broken scope that can't be used. Owner offered $3.5G to rebuild that engine, to me the rest of the car's too rough to have that sort of money spent on. Buyer how ever was happy to take the way it is with $4G discount, his offer was accepted, and I'm over with it.

I'll be looking at few more skylines this week, and hopefully be back on projects shortly.

I guess the point of bring that up is my RB25det NEO did not broke because it had excess boost at it. The failure was totally none performance related. They are excellent engines.

Don't bother with rb20s.

If you're going to draw a line under RB25 turbos, which probably isn't the worst idea, I'd concentrate on XR6 turbs or perhaps something for our retarded VG cousins.... sorry Fairlady and M35 owners.....even the designation VG sounds a little retarded....

Stao, how many rb20 hiflows and atr43ss1.5 do sell a year? I bought one of your hiflow second hand and it is a bit laggy, but if you go ahead and develop something really fast spooling for an rb20 I would be interested.

Don't bother with rb20s.

If you're going to draw a line under RB25 turbos, which probably isn't the worst idea, I'd concentrate on XR6 turbs or perhaps something for our retarded VG cousins.... sorry Fairlady and M35 owners.....even the designation VG sounds a little retarded....

That or a direct fit rb26 solution. The only options people have are -9,-7 and -5 reallly.

-9 resonse with -7 power would kill the market with direct fit.

• Like 1

Wow thats totally bs stao.. i belive youv been in the business long enough to know what your talking about.. but there are plenty of people out there that arent as genuine unfortunately. On a side note im with most of the gang here i wouldnt bother with the rb20.. maybe rb30 turbos? Or some more rb26 bolt ons.. either way im happy

Name and shame that workshop. What a dog move.

yeahhh nah for the sake of the forum that can't be done. legal bills etc etc

anyway I vote twin-cam RB30's next! (please, i'm building one)

• Like 1