SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

I have been road tuning my atr45 and see 22psi at 4000rpm.

I am heading south in march to have the tune finished (I'm alomost out of injector) and then I will have a final result.

I've only got a series 2 rb25 myself

this is a 4th gear run

Comes on pretty good, then again it is a Stagea so there's more load/weight.. I'm assuming your timing is pretty relaxed, thus the EGTs are higher and it comes on earlier.

I found out through trial and error, with lower timing the turbo does come on a little earlier but the car feels pretty lazy and shit.. with loads of timing coming onto boost it is more lively but doesn't go full noise till about another 100 to 200rpm later.

I think the weight helps a lot. I haven't touched the lead in timing too much, I'll have a better idea when I can get it on the dyno.

As for power, not sure. But for a heavy car it puts you in your seat and scrambles for traction coming onto boost on a cooler night.

Overall very happy, miles more responsive than the old set up and should end up making good power. If we had e85 here it'd be even quicker

a little naughty, but drop your cat and run the car dump/down pipe to atmosphere (as a test) and see if it comes on earlier.. chances are your exhaust system is restrictive.

I'll get it done when it goes for a dyno tune next, I've had too much problems with cops so I don't want to risk it haha.

Thinking of going 6boost manifold and e85 to gain some faster response times :)

I'll get it done when it goes for a dyno tune next, I've had too much problems with cops so I don't want to risk it haha.

should lose response but gain a tiny bit top end with an aftermarket exhaust manifold, stao has done the tests himself, but yes e85 :)

Depends on the runner diameter you go for... My MX Performance manifold has 1" runners and the response is incredible. More power everywhere compared to the stock manifold.

But yes with a standard 6 Boost manifold, because of the larger diameter runners you will lose some response.

• Like 2

You'll lose some response moving to a 6boost, but you'll end up making more power.

Depends on the runner diameter you go for... My MX Performance manifold has 1" runners and the response is incredible. More power everywhere compared to the stock manifold.

But yes with a standard 6 Boost manifold, because of the larger diameter runners you will lose some response.

indeed, much like after market camshafts, pipe ID in manifolds will set the powerband

Fair enough, I thought they would have improved spool time but I guess not (Makes sense, longer distance for gasses to travel).

I guess I'll just shoot for external gate and e85 next then :)

Engine needs more air flow to generate more power, and on your setup the restriction is on the cold side. If I have limited coins to modify only one parts of it, I would leave the hot side setup, spend that money on a PWR front mount cooler, then run E85. If there are extra coins left, do the flapper front pipe mod.

Hey Stao

What can you do to my old ATR43G2.5 -> Which was sent back to become a now SS2 a year or so ago. if u remember.

Is it worth sending back for some loving?
Im making a healthy 300+rwkw at the moment.

Can you get that close to your atr45? or is the housing to small for that?

Want some extra juice for Racewars next year :P

Engine needs more air flow to generate more power, and on your setup the restriction is on the cold side. If I have limited coins to modify only one parts of it, I would leave the hot side setup, spend that money on a PWR front mount cooler, then run E85. If there are extra coins left, do the flapper front pipe mod.

It's not really a matter of money, I'm looking at combined efforts but correct I guess the cooler would net greater gains.

I'm looking into ways to avoid getting defected too :)

I guess I can scrap that idea hahaha

...OR....dont run a crappy 3" exhaust for 350+kws

I'm not sure how to go bigger as the dump pipe for example is already a bitch in its current positioning. I think if I went Vband outlet it might be easier.

Open to ideas on exhaust also (Already agreed decat would be a good start).

Edit: Tao also mentioned the exhaust flapper mod which will be a next start too.

Edited by kingtube69

It's not really a matter of money, I'm looking at combined efforts but correct I guess the cooler would net greater gains.

I'm looking into ways to avoid getting defected too :)

I guess I can scrap that idea hahaha

I'm not sure how to go bigger as the dump pipe for example is already a bitch in its current positioning. I think if I went Vband outlet it might be easier.

Open to ideas on exhaust also (Already agreed decat would be a good start).

Edit: Tao also mentioned the exhaust flapper mod which will be a next start too.

I have not read all your setup but if it's external gate and you want more flow but stay somewhat legal, don't feed your gate back into your 3", run a seperate 2" pipe with muffler just for the gate

Hey Stao

What can you do to my old ATR43G2.5 -> Which was sent back to become a now SS2 a year or so ago. if u remember.

Is it worth sending back for some loving?

Im making a healthy 300+rwkw at the moment.

Can you get that close to your atr45? or is the housing to small for that?

Want some extra juice for Racewars next year :P

Since you have a R34 GTT with a Neo motor, probably good to go for ATR45SAT. That makes alot more power and 20psi by 4000RPM. I found its very drive able on my car. You are welcome to send it back to have it enlarged.

Fair enough, I thought they would have improved spool time but I guess not (Makes sense, longer distance for gasses to travel).

I guess I'll just shoot for external gate and e85 next then :)

It's not about the longer distance for the gas to travel, but rather the speed at which it travels.

The pipe diameter is dictating the speed of the exhaust gasses, and the larger diameter of the 6 Boost setup slows gas speed in the lower revs and delays the spool of the turbo. That larger diameter runner however, will allow better scavenging and more total exhaust flow in the high RPM (and hence more peak power) provided there isn't a restriction past that point. ~ Dump pipe, exhaust, cat etc.

In the case of my setup (the 1" runner tuned length MX manifold) gas speed is maximised early in the rev range and the spool is almost instant... I have positive boost from 1200 rpm with a HKS GT-RS turbo.

What I have had to do though is bypass the internal waste gate on the GT-RS and run an external gate, as the turbo struggled to control the boost with the extra speed of the gas flow.

• Like 2