SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a while since my last update, car had some engines issues as I found its lack of power and response compared to other R34s I’ve owned. Comp test reveal a 50psi drop at CYC 4 compare to other 5. I’ve had the engine stripped with intention of restoring OE compression, using a set of Nitto pistons, con rods, oil pump gears and valve springs. The rebuilt engine ended up with slight lower compression then standard but all even, it is making more power and been trouble free so far. I’m keeping the stock cams for now, it will be upgraded at later stages.

Currently pulling 424rwkws, for people whom’s interested in my setup it has:
9:1 CPR Nitto 20 thou forged pistons
Nitto Conrods
Korioautoparts Performance Radiator
4 inches metal intake pipe
Adaptronic Modular ecu
Split fire coil packs
3 inches turbo bach exhaust
Hypergear ATR45SS turbocharger
Electronic boost controller through ecu
Nismo twin plate cooper mix Clutch
18inches alloy wheel with Nitton tyres.
45mm Tial external gate with steam pipe high mount exhaust manifold.
ID1000 Injectors
525L Walbro fuel pump.
PWR FMIC
Nismo 2 way diff
Supertech Valve springs
All new engine bearings
Gates timing belt kit and water pump
Engine head oil restrictor and oil drain kit

Bit of Vid:

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Edited by hypergear
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

6.9 Sec with 188 miles quarter run from last week, from one of our rebuilt, high flowed and ball bearing converted BW S400 turbochargers powering a built 4G63 Evo engine running about 55psi.

Edited by hypergear

• 3 weeks later...

Some latest data about twin scroll exhaust manifold vs single scroll exhaust manifold. Still running the same turbo, now making 440rwkws @ 27psi while close to 500RPM more responsive. :

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What would you recommend for a neo 25, want to keep it low mounted and internally gated.

Has exhaust, cooler, nistune, injectors. Will have cam gears and maybe cam at this stage.

Daily, wanting around the 300kw mark but keep it as responsive as i can get

ATR43SS2 BB in .63 internally gated or We can high flow your stock turbo to make around 280rwkws and that be super responsive also. 

This is an latest result of our latest profile of an 21U high flow on a stock engined R33 GTST with big cooler, Greddy inlet manifold, and 3.5 inches turbo back exhaust. 362rwkws @ 22psi E85 fuel.

362rwkw.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Adz2332 said:

worth the BB?

That's a hell of a question. There's probably no argument that the performance increase you get for your $400 is worth it. If you look at the "cost of a horsepower" and then consider what those HP are worth when they're available some hundreds of rpm earlier, it is probably some of the best value performance available - if you're looking for response. Drag cars need not really apply.

For me, the whole prospect of buying a turbo is fraught with.....well, I can buy a HG hiflow for about a grand, but if I want to spec it up a bit it will cost me closer to $1500. And then it's just a highflow and I'd probably be smarter with a new turbo, and that will get me closer to $2k. And if I'm in for that much money for a turbo, then why am I not considering an appropriate sized EFR or G series for about $3k? And all of a sudden I have probably too much turbo for a nice streeter anyway (I mean seriously, how many seconds of value will I get from a 600HP turbo in a year? On the street that is.)

I think if I were willing to stick with a highflow, because I have a Neo, the OP6 housing would probably benefit from the BB centre to make sure it stays as responsive as possible. It just means you're not buying a turbo for less than the psychological threshold of a grand.

The responsiveness could be true of the ATR also, but I don't really know what the performance delta is. The money delta is kinda less of a concern, because you're already starting at nearly $1500. Know what I mean?

This is my opinion simplified - the turbo is the most important/best value upgrade on your car. It is always worth buying the best turbo you can afford. If you ever need a reminder of how important the turbo is, go drive a non-turbo skyline. 

There is only one caveat that I have for this, and that is if the turbo is a consumable on your car due to anti-lag etc. Then run what you can afford to regularly replace. 

ATR43SS-2 billet ball bearing turbo, most people tend to use them as a low mount bolt on. It works fine supporting 300rwkws on P98, Once given E85 and external gate it pulled 442rwkws with 280rwkws @ 4000RPM. This is a super fun daily or track car. 

turbo.jpg

enginebay.jpg

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Edited by hypergear

On 24/01/2020 at 12:43 PM, Adz2332 said:

gives me something to think about. what is the price diff between the 2?

The ATR43SS2 BB is a capable of much higher power levels then the high flow while not been any laggier. I guess if you have external gate E85 plans for up to 440rwkws E85 the SS2 will do, and this turbo works in both internal or external gate (obviously much high power externally gated).  

or if your goal is roughly 300rwkws and won't be thinking of of any thing much higher, then high flowed turbo will do fine.

Edited by hypergear
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Considering sending in my rb25det turbo for a highflow sevice. How much extra would it be to have the OP6 rear housing added on to my S1 turbo? And what are the benefits? Drawbacks? Your website and this thread mention 3 or 4 different figures ranging from 450-500bhp. Just want some clarification. Much appreciated