SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

Missed up on the last few days of wastelands Feels like a Dr Phil session

I agree with everything Pat & Alex have said

Good luck Grant!

And by luck i mean do the hard work

Thanks.

I think multiple holidays is in order though.

No

I was 24/25 when I applied around for the second time, simply put, business doesn't want to pay mature age wages. Businesses always want to spend low as possible and get maximum profit.

Horse shit. I work for one of the biggest electrical contractors in Australia, and plenty of our apprentices are mature age, and being in big construction the pay is far greater than what it is in domestic. Without actually counting, I can think of at least 10 mature age apprentices in my company, including myself.

After I got the job, after a year of applying and not so much as a single interview mind you, the head of my division told me that when they interviewed me they had already finished hiring, and only interviewed me as a courtesy as it was booked in weeks before. Obviously I presented myself in the interview as someone they had to have in their company even though they had already filled all the positions at the time.

Mature age apprentices cost more, therefore the company makes less. The two bosses in my interview made that very clear to me. I agreed with them, then told them that unlike an 18 year old fresh out of school, I'd been working for the past 8 years full time... I had a mortgage, so I couldn't afford not to show up. I'd partied, I'd travelled the world... I was there to work. They asked me how I'd cope getting up at 5:30 every morning... I said it'd be nice to get that extra hour sleep... They called me the next day to tell me I had the job.

To be quite honest; a plumber & test/tag position is not a career, it is a job. It is a job which can pay well enough to deal with the shit.

To be quite honest, that is some of the stupidest shit I've read in this discussion. Not a career? What is it? You are aware that not all careers mean you wear a suit or work in an office aren't you..

Plumbers/electricians are licenced trades. That means you cannot do what we do, even if you know how, legally.

Licensed trade aside, how is any trade not a career?

• Like 1

Perhaps he just meant don't pigeon hole to just test/tag (whatever that is) as maybe it doesn't grow into anything else as opposed to say full electrical qualification so can do a range of things?

just a guess though

Perhaps he just meant don't pigeon hole to just test/tag (whatever that is) as maybe it doesn't grow into anything else as opposed to say full electrical qualification so can do a range of things?

just a guess though

But Pat also said Plumbing doesn't count as a career.

That's what his post was.

No Horse shit. I work for one of the biggest electrical contractors in Australia, and plenty of our apprentices are mature age, and being in big construction the pay is far greater than what it is in domestic. Without actually counting, I can think of at least 10 mature age apprentices in my company, including myself.

After I got the job, after a year of applying and not so much as a single interview mind you, the head of my division told me that when they interviewed me they had already finished hiring, and only interviewed me as a courtesy as it was booked in weeks before. Obviously I presented myself in the interview as someone they had to have in their company even though they had already filled all the positions at the time.

Mature age apprentices cost more, therefore the company makes less. The two bosses in my interview made that very clear to me. I agreed with them, then told them that unlike an 18 year old fresh out of school, I'd been working for the past 8 years full time... I had a mortgage, so I couldn't afford not to show up. I'd partied, I'd travelled the world... I was there to work. They asked me how I'd cope getting up at 5:30 every morning... I said it'd be nice to get that extra hour sleep... They called me the next day to tell me I had the job.

To be quite honest, that is some of the stupidest shit I've read in this discussion. Not a career? What is it? You are aware that not all careers mean you wear a suit or work in an office aren't you..

Plumbers/electricians are licenced trades. That means you cannot do what we do, even if you know how, legally.

Licensed trade aside, how is any trade not a career?

To be fair reading that section out of context does sound stupid so apologies.

I was referring more so going for a job due to the money aspect only. (I.e test & tag scenario - weighing up the money and being the sole reason for not pursuing)

Grant seemed to have rattled off many jobs with different skills in different industries and it sounded more driven by $ than his true ambitions.

No offence meant brah

To be fair reading that section out of context does sound stupid so apologies.

I was referring more so going for a job due to the money aspect only. (I.e test & tag scenario - weighing up the money and being the sole reason for not pursuing)

Grant seemed to have rattled off many jobs with different skills in different industries and it sounded more driven by $ than his true ambitions.

No offence meant brah

I'd backpedal too if dezz was coming at me

• Like 1