SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

I also know nothing about plumbing, so I can't say whether age and deafness are going to cause a serious concern to being able to get the job done.

I wouldn't have thought so, but I have no idea on what plumbers must go though on a daily basis.

Do feel free to ring them and ask, cos frankly I don't know what my boss thinks of me.

Frankly if you were going beyond expectations you would know what your boss thinks as he would have told you. If you don't know, you are just one of the many scraping by.

• Like 1

I think your view is bullshit.

Sounds like you thought the volunteer job was a given and you probably conveyed that 'done deal' attitude. Sometimes how a person fits is more important than $ if you are representing an image/brand/identity.

You have two eyes, hands & a connection to the internet. People have made it much further with much less. Imagine if you were born in your parents generation with no internets.

And if your only driver for a start-up is profit, then you will fail. The point is to offer a service or product unique to you. If there was minimal risk it would have been over-done already.

Thanks for the honesty.

I'm not looking at starting a courier business - too much needed to invest with minimal return over years (I've asked around). I'm looking at electrical appliance testing and tagging actually, I've got the certificate, equipment will cost me maybe 5 grand to start it up, then I need a car, ABN/ACN fees, set up invoicing, insurance for car, public liability, indemnity (4-6k p.a. depending on who you go with), and that's 10-15k if done cheaply and I haven't factored in fuel, potential taxes, potential consultation etc. Based on prices from competitors, I've worked it out the end profit may end up at 10k p.a. So that isn't much.

About the volunteering, at the start of discussion, the lady did say she needed people and we worked it out what we can do and in the end she just changed her mind that instant. Anyone else just wasn't interested (at least they were honest about that), had to drop that course out cos it require a placement with 100 hours of volunteer/paid work.

She did admit that it won't cost that organisation anything with the position we talked about and didn't tell me why she changed her mind THAT SOON without any form of explanation that peeved me off.

So from what I'm reading your and others comments I have shit attitude of life in general, ok, I accept that. Can I change it, let's find out shall we?

I also know nothing about plumbing, so I can't say whether age and deafness are going to cause a serious concern to being able to get the job done.

I wouldn't have thought so, but I have no idea on what plumbers must go though on a daily basis.

Their excuse was 'inability to communicate' 'can't diagnose faults'

Bullshit, I learned that in TAFE and I passed with flying colours.

EDIT: missed the age bit.

I was 24/25 when I applied around for the second time, simply put, business doesn't want to pay mature age wages. Businesses always want to spend low as possible and get maximum profit.

Example, they don't mind paying more for one fully qualified knowing they know all rather than paying mid range money for someone who doesn't know all and that can be done with paying 16 year old bugger all for the same thing.

Whoever doesn't mind paying that much is usually family/friends from what I've been finding out during when I applied around.

Would you prefer automotive work or electrical work?

Maybe local/small business might be interested in part time to learn skills with the possibility of full-time?

Electrical work is what I'd prefer.

Suppose I could give it a shot.

Thanks for the honesty.

I'm not looking at starting a courier business - too much needed to invest with minimal return over years (I've asked around). I'm looking at electrical appliance testing and tagging actually, I've got the certificate, equipment will cost me maybe 5 grand to start it up, then I need a car, ABN/ACN fees, set up invoicing, insurance for car, public liability, indemnity (4-6k p.a. depending on who you go with), and that's 10-15k if done cheaply and I haven't factored in fuel, potential taxes, potential consultation etc. Based on prices from competitors, I've worked it out the end profit may end up at 10k p.a. So that isn't much.

About the volunteering, at the start of discussion, the lady did say she needed people and we worked it out what we can do and in the end she just changed her mind that instant. Anyone else just wasn't interested (at least they were honest about that), had to drop that course out cos it require a placement with 100 hours of volunteer/paid work.

She did admit that it won't cost that organisation anything with the position we talked about and didn't tell me why she changed her mind THAT SOON without any form of explanation that peeved me off.

So from what I'm reading your and others comments I have shit attitude of life in general, ok, I accept that. Can I change it, let's find out shall we?

To be quite honest; a plumber & test/tag position is not a career, it is a job. It is a job which can pay well enough to deal with the shit.

Find a career path which you will enjoy, stop thinking about $ as you will never be happy especially when you are competing against people without a disability.

Find something which defines you & your intellect/passion.

My friend has a condition & cannot read/write however he is loyal & can think for himself. He took his gym passion along with his loyalty & is now a heavy equipment workshop assistant. He is now showing the ropes to an apprentice & you cant wipe the smile off his face.

If there is a will you will find a way. Stop following the herd into plumber, electrical jobs & start to think about how you can make a difference, what gives you an advantage over the rest.

To be quite honest; a plumber & test/tag position is not a career, it is a job. It is a job which can pay well enough to deal with the shit.

Find a career path which you will enjoy, stop thinking about $ as you will never be happy especially when you are competing against people without a disability.

Find something which defines you & your intellect/passion.

My friend has a condition & cannot read/write however he is loyal & can think for himself. He took his gym passion along with his loyalty & is now a heavy equipment workshop assistant. He is now showing the ropes to an apprentice & you cant wipe the smile off his face.

If there is a will you will find a way. Stop following the herd into plumber, electrical jobs & start to think about how you can make a difference, what gives you an advantage over the rest.

The reason I wanted to be a Plumber is I find that job interesting, thats all, when I did pre-apprenticeship course, I LOVED every minute of it, I LOVED what I've learnt, in fact, it was the best course I'd done. It might sound strange to you but that's me, unfortunately no one is willing to take me on as an apprentice and obviously I'm both disappointed and angry about it.

Nothing else interest me at all, yes, this is a huge issue if I want to change career path. So does it mean I have to ditch the word 'career' in my mind and go for something pointless and spend/borrow from Australia Government to pay for course that I don't even want to do?

At the moment, I guess I'm too busy whinge about how well my 'career' goes to even give it a proper thought, therefore I'm a shit person.

You probably didn't get the volunteer position because your horrible attitude seeps into everything you do, probably you can't see it but I can just from your posts I wouldn't give you a go either

People want someone who is hungry or enthusiastic not a 'my life sucks' poor me attitude

one thing I know for certain the harder I work the luckier I get

• Like 1

You probably didn't get the volunteer position because your horrible attitude seeps into everything you do, probably you can't see it but I can just from your posts I wouldn't give you a go either

People want someone who is hungry or enthusiastic not a 'my life sucks' poor me attitude

one thing I know for certain the harder I work the luckier I get

Alright.

So volunteer thing is now a no-go.

Now to find something else.

And I thank you for your honesty.

have you considered instrumentation? its next one up from test & tag. calibration of meters and equipment.

one hazard i can think of with electrical is obviously working in a hazardous environment. however calibration etc is mostly done in labs and controlled environments. some roles dont need electronics experience (some do) but its a goal from a test & tag background and most of the time you dont need to be an A-grade qualified electrician to do it.

have you considered instrumentation? its next one up from test & tag. calibration of meters and equipment.

one hazard i can think of with electrical is obviously working in a hazardous environment. however calibration etc is mostly done in labs and controlled environments. some roles dont need electronics experience (some do) but its a goal from a test & tag background and most of the time you dont need to be an A-grade qualified electrician to do it.

Honestly, I don't think there's much work available in that field for me to even consider taking it up.

I shall see if it's the case.

Meanwhile in America

Dodge Challenger Hellcat

527kw, 880nm

From factory will run the quarter in less than 11 seconds

$60k USD

So glad there's a nation out there continuing to produce something like this, while the rest of the world pussies out of fking the environment

• Like 1

Meanwhile in America

Dodge Challenger Hellcat

527kw, 880nm

$60k USD

So glad there's a nation out there continuing to produce something like this, while the rest of the world pussies out of fking the environment

Only 60 large?

Fark.

Meanwhile in America

Dodge Challenger Hellcat

527kw, 880nm

$60k USD

let's go halves

• Like 1