SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

An I.T person would be well educated on this and never go Mac/Apple in the first place.

You'll find most IT people prefer Mac actually. The ones that say they are shit are just part of the anti-Apple circlejirk who have no clue when it comes to computers. None of their arguments hold up, they all say they are "Overpriced" when in fact compared to the competition they are not. They are a premium product, which means the starting price is over $1,000, they are far from overpriced though. Google themselves pretty much exclusively uses Mac's for their employee laptops (even though Apple is their biggest competitor), every person I know that has switched to Mac laptops hasn't looked back.

The whole app argument doesn't stick anymore, it did when android was new to the market but now it's just a null-point argument.

The only thing Apple has over android in terms of apps is Siri, Google Now isn't even comparable to Siri at any level it's just terrible, but then again Google is making it themselves from the ground up unlike apple who just brought it then slapped their logo on it and called it revolutionary.

I work in the digital space, and deal with many different platforms (I've also worked as a systems admin and have come across a lot here). Android still has so many flaws compared to iOS. The only argument going for it that people say is the "Openness". What does that lead to? More security flaws, inconsistent UI between apps, dodgy tweaks that aren't coded properly etc etc. Android UI is so badly done that people have to get all these tweaks just to have a basic out of the box experience that iOS provides. The sandbox of iOS means these issues aren't present, while still getting the features that 99% of people need. iOS8 further closes that gap with aftermarket keyboards and extensibility, meaning you can have all these extra tweaks without compromising the operating system.

The SDK of Android is also lagging, which means when people develop native apps the final product isn't as polished. The SDK of iOS gives a more consistent flow, and apps are more optimised in the end. The lack of approval on Google Play means more crappily coded and dodgy apps get through.

Most people I know say they don't like iPhones because the screen is too small. Which is far enough if you really need a large screen, the majority of them still want to use iOS though (which the iPhone 6 will change with the 4.7 & 5.5 inch screens).

I love working across different operating systems and use them all, but I just find it hilarious for those who try to bag Apple to seem cool with none of their arguments holding up. There's a recent trend I noticed for people who seem to hate Apple so strongly that think they are more tech focused, these are the ones that are uneducated and have no clue.

Hold up, I can't think of a single person I know who uses Siri for anything more than entertainment purposes or the occasional "What does xxxx mean?" question... Which Google Now does very very well...

I just tested it with a few statements and it nailed every single one of them.

What is the capital city of australia?
What is the temperature going to be here tomorrow?
What is the temperature going to be tomorrow in australias capital city?
What is the Android Kit Kat Market Share?
Navigate to Sandown Raceway
Open Application Texas Holdem

How far is it to Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit?

Beam me up, Scotty.

Good luck getting it to understand anything when I'm driving the skyline though :P

Yeah Siri and Google Now are pretty comparable when it comes to features. I don't know anyone that uses voice recognition for much either, the only time I use it is to read messages or call someone when I'm driving.

Simon i'm mean more in the integration with apps Siri wins that hands down Google Now just fails.

Like for instance

GN: "Play City Lights by Black Mill" it will do a google search.

Siri: "Play City Lights by Black Mill" it will play the song

I'm an IT Admin and my main computer is a Macbook Air, works great for me because I manage a lot of debian machines and we're not really a windows based office. Would be a completely different story if I was running a windows domain and needed to manage that... I mostly buy macs for people in the office because they are so simple that they can't really stuff anything up, but it also means I need to configure everything manually (no decent deployment options for companies of our size)

When it comes to phones though, for me Android is the way to go... iPhones are great and I generally recommend them to people who don't have a clue how to use technology, but these days most people understand how phones work and are 100% fine using a Galaxy S... I use the Nexus line of phones, but I wouldn't recommend them to most people because shit DOES break sometimes when a dev doesn't update an app in time for a new OS release...

There's really no point in arguing back and forth anymore, its all about what works for you... no point trying to convince other people to take the same road as you because they are a different person with a different use pattern and tech level...

You'll find most IT people prefer Mac actually. The ones that say they are shit are just part of the anti-Apple circlejirk who have no clue when it comes to computers. None of their arguments hold up, they all say they are "Overpriced" when in fact compared to the competition they are not. They are a premium product, which means the starting price is over $1,000, they are far from overpriced though. Google themselves pretty much exclusively uses Mac's for their employee laptops (even though Apple is their biggest competitor), every person I know that has switched to Mac laptops hasn't looked back.

I work in the digital space, and deal with many different platforms (I've also worked as a systems admin and have come across a lot here). Android still has so many flaws compared to iOS. The only argument going for it that people say is the "Openness". What does that lead to? More security flaws, inconsistent UI between apps, dodgy tweaks that aren't coded properly etc etc. Android UI is so badly done that people have to get all these tweaks just to have a basic out of the box experience that iOS provides. The sandbox of iOS means these issues aren't present, while still getting the features that 99% of people need. iOS8 further closes that gap with aftermarket keyboards and extensibility, meaning you can have all these extra tweaks without compromising the operating system.

The SDK of Android is also lagging, which means when people develop native apps the final product isn't as polished. The SDK of iOS gives a more consistent flow, and apps are more optimised in the end. The lack of approval on Google Play means more crappily coded and dodgy apps get through.

Most people I know say they don't like iPhones because the screen is too small. Which is far enough if you really need a large screen, the majority of them still want to use iOS though (which the iPhone 6 will change with the 4.7 & 5.5 inch screens).

I love working across different operating systems and use them all, but I just find it hilarious for those who try to bag Apple to seem cool with none of their arguments holding up. There's a recent trend I noticed for people who seem to hate Apple so strongly that think they are more tech focused, these are the ones that are uneducated and have no clue.

Um, I think you haven't talked to many IT people who are doing support, if you're reckoning they will prefer Mac over Win based machines for clients.

It's still the exclusive choice of hipstery web designer guys who think their right to do what they do best ("creative things") is throttled by the tyrany of using a Windows machine. These are the same guys who ride skateboards in the office because it helps them get put into a 'creative space'.

Now, if you have a small business with ~50 people total, and everyone uses a mac - Sure, you can get away with it which is what I imagine Odium is talking about, if everyone knows how to use a mac. If you have 7000 clients, with 200 mac users, you're gonna have irritating times ahead when the people who are expecting everything to "just work" find out it just doesn't quite work that way.

Um, I think you haven't talked to many IT people who are doing support, if you're reckoning they will prefer Mac over Win based machines for clients.

It's still the exclusive choice of hipstery web designer guys who think their right to do what they do best ("creative things") is throttled by the tyrany of using a Windows machine. These are the same guys who ride skateboards in the office because it helps them get put into a 'creative space'.

Now, if you have a small business with ~50 people total, and everyone uses a mac - Sure, you can get away with it which is what I imagine Odium is talking about, if everyone knows how to use a mac. If you have 7000 clients, with 200 mac users, you're gonna have irritating times ahead when the people who are expecting everything to "just work" find out it just doesn't quite work that way.

I've worked as a systems administrator, so yes I've dealt with many people doing IT support and part of my role was IT support as well. Web designers /developers use it because the Adobe suite of software is much nicer optimised for OSX, along with other graphic design / development software. It's not a matter of show, it's a matter of what actually works best. From experience, we rarely had to attend to the Mac users computers. It's extremely rare to get a virus and they don't slow down and get clogged up with bloatware like Windows machines, so that maintenance side of that was less strain for the admins / support team. The amount of times I had an employee come up to me complaining their new windows laptop is "slow" is crazy.

I still need a desktop machine and use Windows because I prefer working with it on desktops, but when it comes down to laptops nothing compared to Macbooks in terms of the features, reliability, quality and overall polish.

An I.T person would be well educated on this and never go Mac/Apple in the first place.

ah but some-times we don't ahve a say.

iPhone been our company policy for 4-5 years now.

naturally 2 weeks after I got my latest they approved a couple of samsungs..

I still live in a command line space for most of my work.

the couple of ppl who got macs in similar line of work to me, all use it to run windows emulator to get the job done.

yes putty is my life, but it gets me to visit cool places.