SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

you do realize you are in the wasteland....ie facts don;t matter...post some boobs beside one of your turbos and every-one will be onside..

51821d1342658040-twin-turbo-392-build-tw

Maritin for PM and JZ for the ftw

Didn't Trent put your motor in? If so, it MIGHT be relevant to disclose that you are personal friends with him lol

nah, GT hyper did it... Trent doesn't do mechanical work anymore for customers...

but yes I am good friends with Trent and my opinion is of course thusly biased, no more than if I was his employee however...

• Like 1

Would be good to have a day to settle this dyno argument once and for all.

From what I've seen myself, a lot of cars tuned at Trent's and other hubs have made less on roller dynos. I remember a few of the Trent customers at an SAU dyno day at RE customs whinging about being 40-50rwkw down on power, meanwhile my standard boost GTS-T made 165rwkw on there which wouldn't be far off the mark. Have heard similar things from a fair few people in other car clubs, when going from one dyno to the other. And whilst I'm supportive of everything Stao does, The consensus in his thread has always been great turbos, but no one can come within Stao's power results with the same turbo, unless they have also had their car tuned at Trent's. We've all been about 10% shy of it. Either he's the best tuner in Melbourne by several kw or there's a bit of random happiness in the dyno?

But yeah, would love to see a double dyno day with 5-10 cars on the hub and then 5-10 at another place like RPM to settle the argument. Happily concede there's no difference if there's little variance in results.

As for tuning and costs at RPM, both occasions for me have been more than fair and this is from a GTS-T owner. Even if it was charged at a premium, fair enough, they have earned a reputation in the Skyline community and upholding that means going to extra lengths and ensuring quality - not that other workshops don't or that they're the only good workshop in Melb, but I know that anytime I pickup my car from there it's going to be faultless. You can sell a car with RPM workmanship in the body text and it's a selling point because of that rep.

• Like 1

Everyone seems to be forgetting that a tuner generally gets the max possible out of the car's setup, then makes the power curve nice... prints a graph of what the car made with the mods... and then any decent tuner pulls the tune back a bit so that it doesn't explode after a bad batch of fuel or a really hot day or a bit of heat soak...

If I go to a tuner and get a power tune it might make 270rwkw, then I'll actually drive out of there with 250-260rwkw and some piece of mind that its safe enough for a daily pounding no matter the conditions...

If I then go to a different tuner they'll run the car as it came in... and it will read 10% down on the "Printout" that I got from the first power tune.

Trents a top bloke and tuning some of the quickest cars in the state at more than competitive prices.... Simple

There is plenty of other good tuners too...and hey dyno numbers change more than the weather in melbourne..So never belive what you see

So I say who cares about the numbers. as long as you enjoy driving it...and it performs to your expectations .cause its not how you stand beside your car.........................blah blah blah

you'll can stop your bitchfest now k....

• Like 1

In my experience, with a HG turbo I've gone from bad results, to better results every time I went back to the dyno - My car was dynode a good 4-5 times at Chequered after some random bit was fixed, or part altered, or setup changed, etc.

Every time I made changes they reflect. I would NOT be surprised if people are rocking up with HG turbos because THEY ARE CHEAP and not really paying much attention to the rest of the setup, and get a sub-optimal result. People gotta remember Stao's turbos were designed on Stao's engine with Stao's setup where he has a vested interest in making it as efficient as possible.

Remember what happened when he put one of his RB SS turbos onto his SR? Even he was surprised certain things didn't apply and the result was pretty bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if these turbos are going on different cars of questionable setup and having varying results. son of rajab knows I got 3-4 different results on the same turbo every time I went back changing things.

If I go to a tuner and get a power tune it might make 270rwkw, then I'll actually drive out of there with 250-260rwkw and some piece of mind that its safe enough for a daily pounding no matter the conditions...

Lame.

Everyone should demand more than final power figure coz reliability is overrated :P

Vic wasteland brown liquor connoisseurs, lend me your ears.

Dads burthday soon, got him a scotch from highland scotland somewhere, 21 years aged. He appreciated it, but was too intense/strong for his liking. Anyone suggest a decent drink in the $80-$150 range?

dont go highlands, stick with speyside malts.

or if you really want something different a Japanese whiskey as they are heavily influenced by speysides.

$80-$150 region will run you:

Jap: Hashuku 12, Yamazaki 12, Hibiki 12 or 17, Nikka 12 and maybe a nikka 17 blended.

Scotch: Anything from a major distilliery with "Glen" in the name from 12-21 years really.

so, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas, Glenlivet.

• Like 1