SAU Community

What Makes The R33 "ugly" ?

They're not ugly, they're just 'soft' compared to the R32 and R34.

I'd happily swap my R32 for an R33 (GT-R of course).

The story of the 90's Skyline goes (which I made up):

R32 Skyline = Top athlete, smashing competition around the world. Got banned from competing (Group A racing).

R33 Skyline = After the ban, depressed Skyline stopped doing cardio and started eating more junk food, became fatter but still had the muscles underneath.

R34 Skyline = Went through some soul searching, decided to train up to get back to the glory days, became toned up and muscle-y.

R35 = Roids, not a Skyline any more.

lol

Id actually have to disagree..I think the R34 GT-T's look horrid in stock form. while the r33 gts25t's series 2 look okay in stock form. Only the r34 GTR has the presence about it (stock)

R32's are lovely but are starting to look a bit outdated in my opinion. A stock r32 gtst looked very bland and the GTR needs to be properly stanced to look good. They do look tough in stock form but not tougher then the 33's or the 34's

r33's are just all round great to look at (with the exception being the abomination that was the s1)

I still reckon they look pretty good if done nicely! Obviosuly biased as it was all my efforts.. lol.

Few things id have liked to fix.. like that indicator.. heh.

Tribute video a friend made of mine before selling up :(

Edited by gotRICE?
  • Like 1

I still reckon they look pretty good if done nicely! Obviosuly biased as it was all my efforts.. lol.

Few things id have liked to fix.. like that indicator.. heh.

Tribute video a friend made of mine before selling up :(

beautifully done, gorgeous car

I think there is also an element of "ownership" stereotyping that also plays a part. What i mean by this is:

R32 stereotype - owned by drifters/cool kids/young kids and die hard "Godzilla" fans

R33 stereotype - owned by 'lebo's'/kids who were into sex spec and the era of autosalon & chrome

R34 stereotype - owned by the "fast and furious" era, more likely to be into technology and have more money to spend

These are just stereotypes, but do effect the sexiness or appeal of the car. R33 just happened to be in an era where chrome, hideous body kits and outrageous paintwork were the fashion. Not much really went on in the mid 90's, and it's reflected in the design of the car.

I think there is also an element of "ownership" stereotyping that also plays a part. What i mean by this is:

R32 stereotype - owned by drifters/cool kids/young kids and die hard "Godzilla" fans

R33 stereotype - owned by 'lebo's'/kids who were into sex spec and the era of autosalon & chrome

R34 stereotype - owned by the "fast and furious" era, more likely to be into technology and have more money to spend

These are just stereotypes, but do effect the sexiness or appeal of the car. R33 just happened to be in an era where chrome, hideous body kits and outrageous paintwork were the fashion. Not much really went on in the mid 90's, and it's reflected in the design of the car.

So if your into R32's or R33's your either a poor young drifter cool kid, A fully lebo sexspec kid into chrome and gay shit.

Or

If your into R34's your into technology and have more money, sip lattes, long walks on the beach and private security.

goddam that r34 life sounds good lol.

Edited by dyl33
  • Like 1

So if your into R32's or R33's your either a poor young drifter cool kid, A fully lebo sexspec kid into chrome and gay shit.

Or

If your into R34's your into technology and have more money, sip lattes, long walks on the beach and private security.

goddam that r34 life sounds good lol.

Lol, let me explain myself by what I meant.

Stereotypes judge a group or sub group based on social norms. E.G, "all asians a shit drivers" -that's a stereotype.

Cars fall into the same category, and it changes they way in which people view the car (makes it ugly by association)

The point i was trying to make is that it's not just the 'design' of the car that makes it sexy/ugly. It's how the car is associated with the public

E.G, Commodore is a bogan mobile

R33 is a boat

Lancer is a girls car

It affects the way in which we identify with the car, which makes it ugly. 10 years ago the most common Skyline on the street was the R33, which had a "stereotype". This stereotype for an R33 in Sydney was - Chrome, big bodykit, chameleon paint, massive stereo driving up and down George St or Brighton Le Sands. This affected the way people viewed the car, therefore affecting it's sex appeal to the public.

The R32/R34 had a different stereotype, and was not viewed in exactly the same fashion as the 33, hence why they tend to appeal more to a variety of people.

Feel free to disagree :yes:

The only thing I hate (and makes it look ugly) on the R33 is the foglamps/indicators on the series 2 GTS-T (and on the Series 2 Stagea 260RS)...It looks like Nissan forgot about foglamps and front indicators and just slapped them on.

The only thing I hate (and makes it look ugly) on the R33 is the foglamps/indicators on the series 2 GTS-T (and on the Series 2 Stagea 260RS)...It looks like Nissan forgot about foglamps and front indicators and just slapped them on.

agree....

hence my changing tinting my indicators ...

I still think my mk3 built 7m supra looked better then my r33...

2h5357q.jpg

2mzfgx.jpg

2jwqd3.jpg

My first car was this Series 1994 GTSt. Was almost stock but with a set of Keiichi Tsuchiya 17x9 inch wheels and 400R copy front bumper.

Went through a bit of change and the big change was a backyard matte black spray job whilst fitted up the Trust style front bumper, M SPort side skirts and rear bar, Series 2 GTSt wing. 18x9 +20 front and 18x10 +5 Work VSKF's, also thrown in was an R32 GTR RB26 with Apexi Djetro, full exhaust, Bride Zeta III fixed back, G4 coil overs, rose jointed camber, castor, toe rods and up graded bushes plus Defi's. Was a fun ride and went well with 240 rwkw

post-39081-0-79737900-1389360327_thumb.jpg

post-39081-0-78457300-1389360343_thumb.jpg

Then moved onto a 1997 R33 GTR in KR4 silver.

Was stock then went through 3 single turbo kits before ending up with a Precision.

Loved the look with the SSR SP1R's. At one stage had a carbon rear diffuser to go with the carbon lip spoiler.

post-39081-0-23829200-1389360790_thumb.jpg

post-39081-0-76915300-1389360830_thumb.jpg

post-39081-0-86996700-1389360886_thumb.jpg

post-39081-0-81727200-1389360911_thumb.jpeg

post-39081-0-09565400-1389360934_thumb.jpeg

post-39081-0-98710000-1389361001_thumb.jpg