SAU Community

What Can Your Club Do For You?

Aggroman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some basic mechanic workshop nights would be cool. I'd like to learn things like how to change oil, brake pads, brake fluid etc. Would really help some of the young members like myself.

Also, I only usually have time to do things when I'm on uni holidays (which is november till late february) because I am that busy with uni work during semester that I rarely go out.

There was an SAU trackday I went to as a passenger in December 2011 which had a good turnout...but I see there won't be one this year which is quite unfortunate as I would of been more than happy to attend. Instead, I'll continue to attend those Trackschool Trackdays.

On a serious note, the SAU-NSW club bank account has taken a MASSIVE hit over the past two years, as Eric and Dave have mentioned.

We've been trying to put on track days at Wakie, but if they're poorly attended, then we're stuck paying the bill for all those who said that they'd come but later changed their minds. And even managing to secure a day at the track itself (especially on a weekend) is getting tougher and tougher, especially since Oran Park closed down. Eastern Creek is almost impossible and highly unaffordable.

Think of it this way: a track day might cost each person roughly $5-600 each time when you factor in travel time, petrol, accommodation and the event itself, but you get the chance to go as fast as you feel comfortable in a safe environment with like-minded souls. You go home tired, but with a massive smile on your face and a sense of satisfaction. Would you rather that amount of money (or more) go towards fines and a potential loss of licence for doing something stupid on the streets???

2) I would love to see and be invited to contribute (time and/or $$$) to "SAU NSW builds a Texi Car" - pick a target budget under say $5000 and invite a capped number of members to contribute time and/or $$$ to building a Texi car that can be used by those members at Texi (or even track?) days. For example, if I pitch in $500 to buy and/or maintain the car, I along with say 5 others get first right of refusal to have a bunch of runs in it at a Texi. This Car would also be a platform for certain Tech nights (which I'm also keen to attend). Ownership of the car vests in the club and it could even be 'hired' by others on the day and used as a promotional tool - "come along to one of our Texi days, have a bash in our SR20 120Y datto and tell your friends". I'd hope certain sponsors would come to the party for e.g. tyres, turbos, tuning and suspension.

Whoa...that was like a Will Ferrell moment in Old School.

mind blown, would be an awesome idea for someone like me

I wont ever race/skid the 34, but it may be ages before I ever buy myself a track car, if ever, and I also lack any mechanical skills whatsoever, which limits me to either spectating, helping or being a passenger (not that any of those options are bad :yes: )

The idea actually gave me a spark along with something that Chris was discussing over in the whore thread.

What if we got a few guys to go in share/club lease payment and get 1 or 3 Hyunai excels? Now before you go all "what the hell?" on me. There is a concept racing class in other states using the excel as a benchmark. You can't do too many things to them, but that keeps costs low. They we could bring them to Texi's and have some friendly "Star in a Resonably Priced Car" with a leaderboard.

Also if we have a couple of them then bring them to a track day using GPS timers for time battle style stuff. Or find out if the class is run in NSW and get into that with multiple drivers. Now, really, the cost of getting them there etc. means it is going to be a few 100 out of pocket for this type of racing. But maybe we could also challenge some other clubs with the same rules. Normal maintenance would need to be sorted, etc. etc. Lots of logistics to sort.

This is all - Brainstorming/thinking out loud so just saying got me thinking.

Do you get rough figures for track days before hiring eastern creek?

If so you may be able to solve the problem of people not turning up by getting them to pay a portion of the total fee (say $50) to register for the particular day..

Not sure if logistically that would work but I reckon if people have already payed for it partially they are more likely to show up.. And if they don't well at least you still have the original $50

I think a swap meet would be good, you could combine a swap meet with the texi day. Maybe charge a small price to sell.

I would like to see more cruise destinations, tech nights, just more social events. for example bbq cruise, drive in nights, maybe even a bullrun road rally style event.

Maybe an sau raffle, might help raise some funds.

also what about a trackday club. you could setup an account like paypal, and have people pay into it weekly, so that that way they have prepaid before booking a trackday.

Well said eric & co. Most people dont see the costs of running a track day and what it can mean for a club, might be worth highlighting the costs for them. Turn up with 25-30 cars at wakie and you can be pretty sure the clubs losses will be in the thousands.

Ec GP was like 16k last time we checked and very hard to get in. So at double what Wakefield costs just too much if people aren't coming in numbers. I'd love it too but not financially smart where we are at right now.

I'd just like to add my 2c as a (semi) long time member who has more or less sat on the sidelines since joining the club. I've been a member for about five years now, and in those five years I've been to one track day and one AGM. The track day was great, but to me it was just another day at Wakie, and the AGM was awkward because I didn't know anyone (my fault really) and since then my car has been off the road.

I don't have any interest in cruises or tech nights, and I can't attend motorsport events because my car is borked.

My barrier to getting more involved in this club is that I don't really know anyone and that I don't currently have an operational Skyline (soon to be rectified). So hopefully when my car is back on the road I can attend more events and get more involved, but at this stage without a working car my interest in the club is pretty limited. I like the fact that you guys have an interest in motorsport (I wouldn't be here if you didn't) but I understand that can't be the focus. Some hillclimbs would't hurt though :P

Don't be afraid of events because your skyline is off the road, many of us don't even own skylines or even nissans anymore. I'm still welcome and I haven't had a Nissan for years now, had a soarer, supra and now buying a v8 commodore

That's the best part about sau-nsw is the important people don't care what you drive or if you Rock up to a track day/texi/cruise in a daewoo matiz

Don't be afraid of events because your skyline is off the road, many of us don't even own skylines or even nissans anymore. I'm still welcome and I haven't had a Nissan for years now, had a soarer, supra and now buying a v8 commodore

That's the best part about sau-nsw is the important people don't care what you drive or if you Rock up to a track day/texi/cruise in a daewoo matiz

Yep - a few texis ago, we had a Barina Spark - was awesome! He seemed to really enjoy himself, was good. He beat me in the battles in the arvo after it started raining though :/ Stupid cheap Chinese tyres.

Hey guys ,

An inter club event is an awsome solution !

We're facing the same financial problems although the club does turn over enough to stay in the green

Our eyes are on the EC gp circuit & we think it's possible with a joint venture

We met sau officials at the top secret imports tech night & stil yet to follow up

Something to think about is that a lot of people are keen for trackdays, in this thread and others, so if the club can find a way to run them and limit liability or eliminate it all together then its a win.

As mentioned above, non refundable deposits is a start. For a $200 odd trackday i personally would have no issue paying a non refundable $100 deposit well in advance. Nearly every other regular track event does this.

Also discounted price the further out you book? Gets people thinking and preparing in advance and gives the club a big heads up if spots aren't filling.

Another thing to me is that SAU NSW is WAAAAAAYYYYYY to lenient with letting other people advertise for free their events in our events sections. I normally have no issue with it, but when the club is running an event eg trackday, then all other similar events should be removed until its full. Yes it may piss off a few people, but we are here for SAU, and need to look after our own backyard first. Half of the events are advertised on most jap car forums anyway so those who want them can usually find them.

I completely understand the risks and being a past unelected member of the committee know how hard it is to fill some of these events, but we used to sell out 2-3 trackdays a year. Whats changed??

The idea actually gave me a spark along with something that Chris was discussing over in the whore thread.

What if we got a few guys to go in share/club lease payment and get 1 or 3 Hyunai excels? Now before you go all "what the hell?" on me. There is a concept racing class in other states using the excel as a benchmark. You can't do too many things to them, but that keeps costs low. They we could bring them to Texi's and have some friendly "Star in a Resonably Priced Car" with a leaderboard.

Also if we have a couple of them then bring them to a track day using GPS timers for time battle style stuff. Or find out if the class is run in NSW and get into that with multiple drivers. Now, really, the cost of getting them there etc. means it is going to be a few 100 out of pocket for this type of racing. But maybe we could also challenge some other clubs with the same rules. Normal maintenance would need to be sorted, etc. etc. Lots of logistics to sort.

This is all - Brainstorming/thinking out loud so just saying got me thinking.

Not trying to be a dick, but i really can't see this happening, and its kind of a waste of the effort you guys already put in to spend it on an idea that will almost be impossible to get off the ground. Logistics would be a nightmare as you said. Who pays for any damage? the driver or the group. What if the whole group takes it easy and enjoys it while the last guy revs the tits off it and blows the motor every time he steps in? You'd also probably need to get some kind of legal involvement to make it fair for all, which is more money the club doesn't have. Great idea between mates, but for me not something a club does.

I completely understand the risks and being a past unelected member of the committee know how hard it is to fill some of these events, but we used to sell out 2-3 trackdays a year. Whats changed??

See my post bobbeh

I dont agree with non refundable deposits especially at long notice, shit can and does happen the will mean people cant make it

The old ACT Supra club had a black list

If you said you would attend and pay for an event and pulled out at the last minute (without a good reason) you would go on the black list and would make your word worth nothing

Eg - If I say yes I will attend xx texi day, send form in and say will pay later and dont, same if I said i will attend x cruise and have a seat booked for me for lunch and dont show without prior warning...than a big black mark goes on my name....it stops people wasting everyones time

imo It will a) stop people tyre kicking, you may say

and

b) might get people who cant attend for what ever reason telling the orgainiser so.

Same should go for people who volunteer to help at events and then dont show, so the execs need to scramble to find helpers

I have to point out that on our events it is pay in full or your spot isn't reserved. Always been the way we run things. Also, unless the event is full the fee is non-refundable. We do our best to look out for regulars but it is just too difficult with people popping all over the place.

I've personally paid for and missed several events. It is part of supporting your local motorsport. And since SAU does it so cheap for it's members I have no reservations about that at all.

See my post bobbeh

yeah, dude i agree with alot of what your saying.

To me it's just heaps of people are saying they want track days, which is great. Including some of the flat beak hat patrol, so to me it's up to the club (not just the execs but all of us) to find a way to turn the enthusiasm in the forums into attendance on the day. And yes i know i'm stating the obvious, but the great minds on our exec team should be able to swing it :yes:

Eric, what i was trying to get at was more about getting members to commit well in advance to minimise the clubs loses.

What about a pay by the month track day? eg, if the track day in 2013 is set for july, allow members to pay $20 per month between now and then so it's not a big hit at once?

Shame everyone here doesn't realise that the sau days were always tops and to get on it

Maybe sleep with boston as he can hook up Wakefield deals cheap

people here don't realise you need 40 people at 250 each to make a Wakefield day break even