SAU Community

Antz 1994 R32 Gtr Project & Restoration

Ants

So as promised I installed the nismo 320kph speedometer today.

Although it is actually a rather simple process I thought I would post a little tutorial on it as it may help others out there who are going to be this for the first time (I have taken my dash and speedometer cluster out many times before 1. for cleaning (lost count on that) and 2. for installing leds lights)

So first up we need this

IMG_1450_zps41a95a5f.jpg

Nismo 320kph speedometer

Then you need the right tools

IMG_1456_zpsd6490d61.jpg

A little ratchet and Philips screwdriver will do and is useful for those hard to get places

IMG_1454_zps44a77395.jpg

IMG_1455_zpsfcc5b519.jpg

first up, remove the screws under the steering column (there are five to remove)

IMG_1457_zps0f30987e.jpg

then remove the dash shroud, has two screws up top, two screws on the side and fours screws under the steering wheel. - you also need to remove other screws that cover the dash shroud underneath (next to the display clock and next to the fuse cover)

IMG_1458_zpsb611fd62.jpg

Behind the dash there are the following electric plugs (on the LHS) that need to be removed which does not appear easy to take off at first but it is all about getting a bit of leverage in there and then they come off really easily

IMG_1459_zpse504c31e.jpg

Electric plugs on the RHS

IMG_1460_zpsd6eadf24.jpg

now the speedometer cluster - there are four screws to take off and then it becomes loose

IMG_1463_zps276352f7.jpg

Behind the cluster are again more plugs to remove - there should be three in total (the white one above was the hardest one to remove, but just flip the cluster face down and its easier to pull out :sweat: )

IMG_1464_zps93bf8d6e.jpg

once done, remove the clear plastic casing with a flat head screw driver and then remove the four screws at the back

IMG_1467_zps8b6910c5.jpg

and then the speedometer just falls right out (the nismo 320kph speedometer just looks so much better than the standard oem speedometer)

IMG_1466_zps5bd38593.jpg

put the new nismo 320kph speedometer in the cluster and then it is just a matter of putting it back together - just a reverse process of the above

IMG_1453_zps1fe75a14.jpg

before,

IMG_1474_zps2991c90d.jpg

after :miner:

Edited by Ants

Ok,

So with regards to handling and suspension I just liaised with Sydneykid and have to mention that I just got taken to school regarding the difference between good suspension and say other (i.e. Japanese) suspension.

The way I initially viewed suspension has been BLOWN away!!!

Need to discuss a few more things with Sydneykid to make the right choice suspension and handling wise.

But needless to say that I will go with Sydneykid's advice and guidance.

Edited by Ants

Nice work. That's why i'm getting rid of my Apexi N1's and moving to some Bilsteins previously revalved by Sydneykid.

Need something suitable for trace but still compliant on the road.

Chuck up the recommended spring rates he recommends for yours, when you know.

Ok,

So with regards to handling and suspension I just liaised with Sydneykid and have to mention that I just got taken to school regarding the difference between good suspension and say other (i.e. Japanese) suspension.

Need to discuss a few more things with Sydneykid to make the right choice suspension and handling wise.

Ok,

He usually recommends Bilstein non adjustables. See here for a useful discussion:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/374385-bilstein-coilover-conversion/

Depending on what you want to do affects spring rates. 5/4 kg/mm front & rear tends to be a bit soft for the track. I ended up 5.5/5 which with the attessa controller some sway bars, much -ve camber on the front and other bits works well. From what I can remember from Bilstein themselves the standard offering doesnt need revalving in that range.

From Bilstein:

The front shocks, if they are as per factory spec, will support a spring rate of about 10kg/mm. While the rear, again at factory spec, will support about a 6kg/mm spring.

Edited by djr81

djr, your are right and thanks for the additional info (suspension overload :turned: )

He has made mentioned about non-adjustable Bilstein shocks but all makes very good sense.

Once I have made a decision regarding the suspension I will post the necessary information, however it will obviously vary upon what I want to use the car for.

Ok,

I was exaclty the same, its so good to have him on here

I was exaclty the same, its so good to have him on here

Yep your not wrong. We are indeed lucky to have him part of SAU.

His input is very valuable.

Edited by Ants

Mate, i thought that i was anal when it came to attention to detail but you've taken it up to another notch! Great build cant wait to see it finished.

Edited by Tyranus

Mate, i thought that i was anal when it came to attention to detail but you've taken it up to another notch! Great build cant wait to see it finished.

Thanks man. I'm actually not that compared to some other guys on here. But I like to try and do things properly ;)

A nice assortment of parts you have there, look forward to some more updates .

Yes I know. Ask and you shall receive.

Firstly - my ECU has finally arrived in Australia -

Secondly - I have almost put the car back together

image_zps7b299765.jpg

I trial fitted the bumper but will sand it back (again) and respray because I can :woot: (which is why N1 vents are taped up)

Car should be going to mechanic either this week or next week where I will post progress pics as it all comes together.

Happy days ;)

Edited by Ants

Small but important update,

IMG_1542_zpsdb55d41d.jpg

IMG_1543_zpsf662e95c.jpg

IMG_1546_zps56874f52.jpg

ECU is finally in my possession (after a month long wait) - Brand new Apexi Power FC + HC (non-d jetro version)

Just ordered some more parts (its bloody never ending :woot: ) will post updates later

LOL,

Kind of get excited when parts I order arrive (if they don't arrive broken :unsure: )

Yep, suspension is another story Robbie and I am going to be a bit patient with that because I need to save up for it now that I have spent a crap load on something else :woot:

Anyways, do it once, do it right is my motto, so better off being patient.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

This is a lot to read(first post to now) but well worth it my head is spinning as I try to take it all in. I am by no means a mechanic so the technical stuff just flys over my head. All and all good Fu[king job on this build man just good Fu[king job.

Are those red covers on your horns a standard item? Not that I ever use the horn, but as I don't have them on my car - I might be missing out on something! ;)

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

This is a lot to read(first post to now) but well worth it my head is spinning as I try to take it all in. I am by no means a mechanic so the technical stuff just flys over my head. All and all good Fu[king job on this build man just good Fu[king job.

Thanks mate. Much appreciated (may have to tone down the swearing though :whistling: )

Are those red covers on your horns a standard item? Not that I ever use the horn, but as I don't have them on my car - I might be missing out on something! ;)

I don't think they are standard items. When I took them off to clean them, I found out that they are Hella Twin tone horns (Porsche red in color) You can get them from Ebay for $25 bucks.

If your missing something, I think you would know because your horn would not be make any noise :w00t:

Edited by Ants