Specs of the new setup:

• Head reconditioned
  • Camtech 272 cams (VCT removed)
  • Custom spring/retainer setup
  • ARP head studs
  • Nitto headgasket
  • Garret GTW3476 turbo with custom twin scroll 0.82 rear housing
  • 6boost manifold
  • Turbosmart 40mm external wastegates (x2)
  • RB26 plenum
  • Adaptronic M6000 Modular ECU
  • 2200cc injectors
  • Fuel rail
  • Extra fuel pump in surge tank
  • Like 1

Enter Aus Time Attack. Day of frustration.

First of all, get to the track the morning of the event (car had been unloaded in to the garage the day before) and the car won't start. After some dicking about thinking it was due to the cold temps with E85 and lack of cold start tune on the car, we noticed the fuel pumps weren't even priming. After some testing and chasing wires through the car, we found that the old alarm/immobiliser had failed and wasn't provided a power signal to the pump relays. Ripped that out....aaand that was half the day gone.

Get out on track, car is feeling good. Come back in from a couple of laps to check things over and find that the insulation on the bonnet had sagged and caught fire :7_sweat_smile:. Luckily had only just done so. Ripped that out, no damage, good to go.

Next session, head out, come in for my first hot lap, get through the kink and turn 2, lose all throttle. Car still running but no throttle. Stop car. Open bonnet, throttle cable had come loose, no biggy. Oh, except for the litre of oil that is all over my engine bay..... /facepalm.

Get back to the garage thinking the worse, turns out the catch can had just filled and overflowed. Phew..spend the next half hour cleaning the car up. All looks good. Start car, oil starts leaking. Turns out the oil drain hose had split. Annoying. By the time I get in to town to get a new hose and fit it up, all my sessions had finished. Luckily for me Boz is such a nice guy he let me run in the Open class group as there was only a couple of cars running by this point, which allowed me to get some seat time in the car. After not driving the car for 6+ months I had lost my finess no doubt, but was glad to see the car was running ok at this point.

End Aus Time Attack day.

Moving on, I got some better hose for the oil return line and replaced this. Now time for a local supersprint at Mount Panorama.

19243135_1590323620987619_85197038086497

Things went much better this time around with the only issue being a melted boost line which was easily replaced. I placed 1st in class and second outright with a new PB of 48.52 seconds. In-car footage of my fastest run here below:

19511278_1591501644203150_42543765243933

19420688_1591501637536484_83265233548613

• Like 2

After this I installed a fresh set of Intima Type D pads in the front calipers before attending Nulon Nationals Round 3 at SMSP with the BLCC team.

20017868_1614618551891459_36134451922139

Unfortunately I battled with wiring gremlins and heat issues the majority of the day. Time to start sorting out this factory loom (which I would soon find had melted lol).

20121516_1618878618132119_45870610867804

• Like 1

Whilst attacking the wiring I decided it was time to spend the money on braided lines all around the hot side. Clearly heat wasn't going to be nice. Insert big box of Aeroflow parts here haha >>>

20507497_1633394113347236_36984576203150

With this I made up a braided oil drain hose for the turbo as well as installed a Turbosmart OPR for the turbo. All boost lines to the wastegates were also replaced with braided line. Apparently I don't have a photo of any of this installed so will have to get around to that lol.

I tidied up the wiring loom near the turbo which was a complete mess. I also removed the ABS unit and installed a heat shield next the turbo/exhaust. To help with getting heat out of the engine bay I also tracked down a Ztune style bonnet and fitted that.

It was also decided to rewire the fuel pumps with new relays and clean up the wiring for them to assist in any diagnosis in the future after the Aus Time Attack events.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, blah_blah said:

ah damn was hoping to see a seperate boost graph from start. when does it make full boost?

Whats the main difference between the GTW and GTX turbos?

Yea unfortunately that's all I have. Was a late night of tuning so didn't think to change the graph up.

Honestly not entirely sure on the differences between GTW and GTX, I went with Matt's recommendation on the turbo and after seeing the same turbo on big yella (Nulon's SR20 Civic) and Matt's shop car running the GTW3884 I was impressed by the results so went with it. Best decision I've made with the car. The old turbo didn't hit full boost (17psi) until 4200rpm. As you can see  this setup is around 24psi at 4000rpm, big difference. I'm making the same power as before at about 4900rpm with better response lol, but a lot has changed to make that happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Did you change the sump when doing everything? Noticed in the video from bathurst you are getting your oil pressure light come on under braking :)

Nope, stock sump remains..... why?

3a5.jpg

But in all seriousness, yes I have noticed the light comes on briefly. Plan was to get an ASR sump in there before WTAC but money has eluded me due to some unexpected costs outside of the garage. During my test day at SMSP the oil pressure looked good, but as soon as funds allow sump will be changed and possibly will go down the route of an Accusump or something like that. As it stands, the bottom end of the engine is COMPLETELY stock lol.

This is a cool car, I saw it at Redsun actually :)

That plenum adapter is a shame, I asked Matt about it after seeing it installed on your car and he showed me a number of photos which look identical to the ones above. It's possible but no way is it as "bolt-on" as Otaku Garage claim..

From seeing how it was made to work in person I can confidently say there's no way they actually bolted an RB26 plenum to an RB25 head with this adapter.