SAU Community

Timmy's R34 Gtt

Thanks mate.

Yea I removed 50kg, so 1460 - 50 = 1410kg[emoji14]I will easily be under 1400 once I remove a few more things though.

Looks like I need to go back to school and sharpen up my maths skills. 1410 is pretty good.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey timmy_89, there are tonnes of images missing from the first page, can you send to me and I'll fix?

Thanks for following up but to be honest I'm unsure what the photos were they were posted so long ago lol.

So back on the 13th March I attended a RTDC track day at SMSP South Circuit. This was my first time on the track so I wasn't out to break any records and just wanted to have a fun day. I made sure to pack a spare set of driveshafts, because well... we all know my luck lol. (Fortunately they were not needed haha).

I was able to get a PB of 1:05.67 on the day which I was happy with. It was a very hot day and my tyres were going off after one hard lap so each session mainly consisted of driving out, hot lap, cool down lap, cruising around the circuit and enjoying my track time for the rest of the session.

One of the better pictures I have found of me from the day. I was running fairly wide on turn 1 most of the day :D

10398921_1035977706460717_78060523689980

My fastest lap in car-footage can be seen below.

• 2 weeks later...

So another track day has gone by, unfortunately not much luck at this one though. Sunday saw Round 1 of the NSW Supersprint Championships held at Wakefield Park. I was optimistic and hoping for a new PB, seeing as I was sporting some more power and less weight. I was rolling on my oldest set of RS3's as I am trying to get my full use of them but it may have been a bad call as I was struggling for traction all day.

A number of others were saying they were running slower then expected on the day as well, so perhaps the track was a bit greasy as well, but this is motorsport....

Anyway, I pieced/slapped together this video testing different camera angles in the car for a lap around the circuit.

Next Sunday I will be attending the Esses Decent at Mount Panorama. Very keen for this, again because I have more power. I will be changing rims/tyres over before this as I want to try and compete with my previous 2nd outright position ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After the Esses Decent I decided to give the car a full service.

Changed engine, gearbox and diff oils. Checked all other fluids.

13010910_1054438861281268_21357226395369

I also found a turbo gasket leak. Fun times.....lol.

After removing the turbo I found that the studs had warped. I purchased some new studs, removed the old ones, then snapped one of the new ones putting it in :domokun:

This meant I had to remove the manifold to get the broken stud removed, so I took the opportunity to get the holes re-tapped.

13092180_1060009277390893_47590758693687

Eventually got everything back together. Oh.... I also removed the A/C from the engine bay ;)

13173658_1063495353708952_45518039075788
  • Like 1

This weekend just gone I was fortunate to drive for Bathurst Light Car Club in Nulon Nationals Rd2.

Saturday was the Esses hill climb, which I had not driven since the new turbo/flex setup. It was great fun and I set myself a new PB of 28.93 seconds.

The track was very greasy for the first couple of runs and there were a couple of cars that had incidents, but I still tried to push my best and hug the walls as best I could. Unfortunately I hugged one wall about 2mm too much and scratched my rims on it (didn't touch any panels), so I have a small collection of orange paint on my rim now :P

13164260_1067606029964551_79542167388001
SpeedRun were there to capture the moment :D
13220624_720793501395736_754015641113981

On Sunday we ran the Mountain Straight hill climb. Was great to see some of the more powerful cars stretch their legs, unfortunately I was unable to better my previous PB though.

I managed to piece together a best run of 51.11 seconds.

At the end of the weekend I was happy to come away with 5th overall in class (2WD Turbo), as well as the trophy 'Parachute Pants' for pushing my limits around the track :)

13226938_1068292239895930_76392746040977
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was also fortunate enough to head down to Sandown Raceway with Nulon for the VicSprint series that are running. The car suffered a few issues including a miss which developed progressively over the day. I still managed to set a PB of 1:25.01, but definitely hope to get back there again as I know there is definitely at least a couple seconds left in it.

After developing the miss at Sandown, I swapped the spark plugs, changed coil packs, and checked all cooler pipes. The miss still occurred intermittently but was definitely happening less. I also blew another turbo gasket, so had to replace this. After replacing the gasket, I ran out of time to look for any other causes of the miss and decided to risk it and headed to Round 4 of the NSW Supersprint Championships which was held on SMSP Brabham Circuit. I was excited to get out on track as this would be the first time I would attack the main straight at SMSP.

13627055_1103007509757736_11790071426979

Unfortunately the car developed a constant miss as soon as I went on track for the 'sighting' session. :(:(:(

After checking over a few things I went to Redsun Motorsports workshop to get some help from Matt to troubleshoot the issue, he was very quick to find that one of my injector plug adaptors had a loose wire. We played with the wire and had the car running well for a temporary fix. I drove back to SMSP to make it out for the last session for my group. I managed to put down a best lap of 2:15.8. There was definitely some more time in the car, but I managed set the fastest lap for my class and set a new class record!!

Unfortunately, after pulling back into the pits after the one session I found this.....

13626394_1103105243081296_33767673162159

After seeing the above I knew I needed to do some more investigating. I was glad I had left the heat shield off the turbo so that I was able to see this. When I got home I got straight into pulling the turbo off. I had the turbo flange and spacer plate machined as after seeing the heat in them, there was no doubt they would be at least a little warped. After we, I removed the injectors to have them flow tested, suspecting that the car was running lean to cause this much heat, it was possible an injector was partially blocked after running E85 for almost a year. Surprisingly, they tested perfectly:

13619804_1112322238826263_56092679321373

We decided to pull out the injector plug adaptors and hard wire some plugs in to rule out any issues with the adaptors. We cleaned the fuel filter and then ran it up on the dyno at Redsun Motorsport. I was happy to see that the car was making similar power to what it was when it was last tuned ^_^ . AFR's and fuel pressure all seemed fine, and more importantly the turbo didn't look like a nuclear reactor meltdown was about to occur. We did find something surprising whilst I was on the dyno though, and that was that the boost settings on my eboost2 were not what I thought they were. Turns out I have been running most events on only 15psi (~270rwkw) since the last tune. I guess this is good news in a way? Lol....

This bring us to Nulon Nationals Round 3, held on the GP Circuit at SMSP. The car ran relatively fault-less all day. Unfortunately the tyres are beyond there prime so it was difficult to hold speed through corners. We left the tune and boost settings as were so that we could see how the car performed. I managed to put down a 1:49.7 on the day, a little slower then I was hoping, but still under the 1:50 mark at least.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bit slow with updates again.....

After the last Nulon Nationals round, my good mate Sam (f**king top bloke) helped me begin making a rear firewall for in the car. It's still not quite finished so I don't have any pictures of it in the car, but here is a progress shot.

14039884_1131040173621136_20248937347784

Towards the end of August I also attended round 5 of NSW Supersprint series which was also on the GP Circuit at SMSP. I was able to set a new PB of 1:48.5 (only just, but a PB is a PB lol). Turns out this was also a class record within the series so pretty happy with that. I've just realised that I don't have any footage uploaded for this so will get onto that soon haha.

14100454_1133604873364666_15628916156420

Also, in more exciting news, I left the car with Prowraps and Graphics recently for Jeremy to design and apply (??) the new wrap. To say I was happy with the result would be a complete understatement......

14237689_1150906974967789_33867918335580

There are still a few finishing touches to be done (such as the mirrors), but I had to pick the car up early to complete some pre-WTAC maintenance and finish things like the rear firewall off. Can't thank Jeremy enough for the solid effort that he put in to designing the wrap and getting it on the car in the time he had the car.

More updates to come soon, watch this space!

• Like 3