SAU Community

Gran Turismo 6

Perhaps by dictionary definition the GT series can be called simulators. By the definition established by the simracing community, no way.

It's a simracing thing, and most would not understand unless they've immersed themselves into a proper sim for a decent amount of time.

Not sure what that video of NFS was meant to prove, but that was pure arcade. lots of fun for the masses and good for drunken gaming nights, but no real appeal to the purists.

Agree with how easy it is to get gold's everytime and get out in front....with a controller.

The whole game changes with a steering wheel and pedals. Becomes much more precise

and you actually have to pay quite a lot of attention to what you're doing. Try it with a wheel

and you guys might be surprised.

this

Perhaps by dictionary definition the GT series can be called simulators. By the definition established by the simracing community, no way.

It's a simracing thing, and most would not understand unless they've immersed themselves into a proper sim for a decent amount of time.

Not sure what that video of NFS was meant to prove, but that was pure arcade. lots of fun for the masses and good for drunken gaming nights, but no real appeal to the purists.

can you try and explain? just saying its a sim racing thing doesnt explain anything. Whats so wrong with the way GT drives?

Ive tried a Racing sim or 2 ( no idea which ) but it was all, buy this car here, and pay for that track there. Never race anything but the car you started with....i guess that is more real, and for that reason I love the video game aspect of GT. I love my 500 car garage!.....in GT5

No it's all about the physics.

You're right - newer Sim's like I-race are like that - you have to buy everything. That's not what I mean by Sim racing (although I-Race is a fantastic simulator). The idea is to get as close to real feeling as possible in a driving game. While most of today's driving games do a reasonably good job, and I'm the first to admit that the GT series is fun, they lack the feeling of immersion you can only get when the car behaves exactly as you experience in real life. In fact, with a proper sim, the only thing missing is the feeling of G forces.

GT still has a fair way to go before the cars behave realistically. Their FWD modelling is atrocious (I've yet to see a FWD that can power oversteer, and understeers under brakes). I know that 99% of people here wont care about that, but it is relevant to me as I race a FWD on gravel, and the GT physics are way off the mark.

Real sims are the ones that most gamers try, and throw in the bin after 2 hours because they can't do a single lap without crashing on every second corner. These days most of them dumb it down so that the 12yo kids driving in chase view can still manage to drive, so they keep buying the game. One of the most realistic driving sims ever made (Grand Prix Legends - released in 1998) was a commercial flop. You only had 7 cars and 11 tracks, and it was infuriatingly difficult to drive. Most people who tried it returned the game within a week. However, there's still a strong community providing updates (tracks, skins, different eras etc) and running online race series all over the world. In the last 15 years, the physics remain largely untouched. I've just started driving it again with a clutch and shifter (like they did back in 1967) and still have an absolute ball. It punishes you harshly for poor throttle control, and excessive control input - just like a race car in real life would, when driven on the edge.

I don't see the point of having every single model mx5, do we realy need 30 variants of the same car.

Still can't believe that they never added the r34 ztune to the car line up

No it's all about the physics.

You're right - newer Sim's like I-race are like that - you have to buy everything. That's not what I mean by Sim racing (although I-Race is a fantastic simulator). The idea is to get as close to real feeling as possible in a driving game. While most of today's driving games do a reasonably good job, and I'm the first to admit that the GT series is fun, they lack the feeling of immersion you can only get when the car behaves exactly as you experience in real life. In fact, with a proper sim, the only thing missing is the feeling of G forces.

GT still has a fair way to go before the cars behave realistically. Their FWD modelling is atrocious (I've yet to see a FWD that can power oversteer, and understeers under brakes). I know that 99% of people here wont care about that, but it is relevant to me as I race a FWD on gravel, and the GT physics are way off the mark.

Real sims are the ones that most gamers try, and throw in the bin after 2 hours because they can't do a single lap without crashing on every second corner. These days most of them dumb it down so that the 12yo kids driving in chase view can still manage to drive, so they keep buying the game. One of the most realistic driving sims ever made (Grand Prix Legends - released in 1998) was a commercial flop. You only had 7 cars and 11 tracks, and it was infuriatingly difficult to drive. Most people who tried it returned the game within a week. However, there's still a strong community providing updates (tracks, skins, different eras etc) and running online race series all over the world. In the last 15 years, the physics remain largely untouched. I've just started driving it again with a clutch and shifter (like they did back in 1967) and still have an absolute ball. It punishes you harshly for poor throttle control, and excessive control input - just like a race car in real life would, when driven on the edge.

clutch ftw! GT has always failed at off road racing......GT5 was just bad at it. fortunately I havent had to do so in 6 yet.

I get what you mean, and if I ever tire of the GT series, a sim will be the next natural progression.

I don't see the point of having every single model mx5, do we realy need 30 variants of the same car.

Still can't believe that they never added the r34 ztune to the car line up

Im sure the Ztune is there. and totally agree on all the MX5's. even 33 GTR's is a joke.....I just wanna find the premium one!

Im hoping this gps track creator is half decent because otherwise its starting to feel like grinding GT5 again, aka, its getting boring :(

I've seen a video of it attached (and by attached I mean plugged into the computer...) of an 86, looks promising :) I can't wait to recreate Lakeside and see how fast I can really go around there without the fear of death

Warps, you might be pleased to hear this comment from a guy on another forum who tracks a fast (62s at Lakeside) FWD Corolla; "I've noticed the fwd cars pitch/react a bit more realistic with lift off oversteer."

Warps, you might be pleased to hear this comment from a guy on another forum who tracks a fast (62s at Lakeside) FWD Corolla; "I've noticed the fwd cars pitch/react a bit more realistic with lift off oversteer."

Forza 5 does lift off oversteer incredibly well. I can only assume GT6 is somewhat similar.

After playing GT solidly for a day or so I've come to these conclusions.

FWD is massively improved, theyre a whole lot of fun. Car sounds are also more improved than I originally gave them credit for, alot of cars have been re-recorded and you can actually tell that your passing a different car. Even on my dodgy $40 logitech setup (PS3 is no longer in my loungeroom)

Skylines still sound lame....even with a few grand of mods. my 800hp 33 GTR is nuts fun to drive but doesnt sound angry enough.

AWD is also better, the above mentioned 33 drives much better with that HP than previous games. You can steer and tickle the throttle without just driving straight ahead.

Cars can now be lowered!!! dumped even in some cases. this and the adjustable Nos takes it back to oldschool GT :)

Musically this is the worst GT ever.....the menus used to be a nice loungey place to be, now just a little anoying. and most of the in race/replay music is just crap. Going to add my own music this weekend.

The moon buggy thing is just plain stupid and entirely boring and un nescessary

All in all very happy with it, especially goodwood, bathurst, Nurburgring, and load times!

Moon buggy?

is it a bit like the Mercedes motor wagen or whatever it was that had 1hp. I remember driving that, took about 3 hours to do a lap, not sure the point of it lol

you actually drive on the moon. it's pretty crap.

now that I'm driving more powerful cars I'm liking the physics more. oversteer is much easier to control. it's no longer near impossible to hold a decent slide, or link up corners. I've been racing in a s2000 with minor mods and its great fun. and also hitting the kerbs unsettles the car more which I like. I've also found that in some cases you can use the kerb to corner better. if you hook the inside wheels over the kerb then it sort of holds the car. and you can use them on the exit to catch a slide too (like coming out of turn 2 at bathurst)

on the note of bathurst, I love racing it. going along the top of skyline and down to forrest elbow, you get an idea of just how busy the race drivers actually are in real life. and something else I noticed with the physics that took me a little bit to get used to, but like, is that at very high speed they've given the steering a heavy feel to it (taking into account how the extra down force puts more pressure on the wheels, plus the wheels rotating at high speed makes them harder to turn)

i agree about the multiples of cars. it isn't just mx5s though. does there need to be so many different r34 gtrs? why not scrap some and put in a 33 gts-t and a 34 gt-t

Agreed. There are now 4 mazda cosmos too, but no sign of any RX-2,3 or 4 yet. Bin the unneccessary extra models!

RX3 would be cool :)

So would a quad rotor RX7

I haven't bought the game yet, I dunno if I want to or not. I'm trying not to spend any more money on PS3 because I want to get a PS4 when they have stock again