SAU Community

Best Cat Converter To Use?

Amon please PM me the brand of cat that failed.

I would like to know this too if you don't mind, I've used magnaflow 200c metal cats on two of my cars with no problems, and they're fairly cheap on the scale of cats.

While there may be issues passing emissions with a 100c cat, I'd much rather take my chances of "maybe/maybe not" passing a test, than certainly being screwed running no cat.

It was a magnaflow 100 cell 4 inch body cat, the cells were all folding over.

I know its not top line but they are very popular.

Would be keen to know of a proven one that can flow 400kw and not die..

Thought id post the brand up, not defaming, just stating my encounter

No idea, Im near positive it died at last track day though. Hot day, all running fairly hot, full boost regularly

Did you pull any timing out of it for the track day? I wonder if it is just a track day issue or tune issue around the area you drive on the track?

I have a metal cat so I am interested what leads to the failure on some of them as you describe.

I figure a lack of advance could lead to combustion continuing out of the exhaust valves and skyrocketing EGT's but it doesn't sound like it in your case.

Im near positive it died at last track day though

yeah I'd be extremely surprised if a cheap metal cat like magnaflow would stand up to the high temps and rigors of trackwork, think that would be asking alot of them. Street shouldn't be any isssue though. I'd be putting in a 3in race pipe during track use myself.

Any aftermarket car will be hard to pass EPA on 98, E85 would be easier as produces less NOx and other shit I don't know of lol.. I just I know it passes easily as my mate passed his 4G63T running E85 with a TD05, 272 cams, etc.. with DIY road tuning.

The reason I run a cat, is because I hate the smell of the exhaust, smells more pleasant with a cat lol

What i ran for years without issues, even flaming exhaust so lots of unburnt fuel went through it.....

http://www.cateran.com.au/cateran/images/Racecatposter.pdf

Compared to a decat, i notice a slight power drop after 7800 rpm though to 9000 so not bad on the restriction side of things.

Only thing is the port for the temp probe is a diffrent thread so i dilled the old one out and welded my own nut to it.

I need to go for an emissions test to get my engineer cert and iv been told to get a euro 4 cat converter has anyone heard of these or what have people used to help pass epa? I'm running e85-90 2200 injectors 270 duration 10.5 lift ect.

Sorry for hijacking didn't want to start another thread

Euro 4 are the best for passing tests but also the most retrictive and the most expensive.

Most people use Euro 3 cats as they are far more affordable, add E85 to the mix and your sitting sweet.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBD2-EURO3-Universal-Catalytic-converters-all-models-UNIVERSAL-FITMENT-/131059342207?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e83bedb7f

However if your runing a ECU, cams and aftermarket turbos, ive heard bad stories about the Full called in EPA tests, where they ask you to bend over and touch your toes while they put the rubber gloves on.....

If its not the full EPA test and just your engineer and he is approving your mods your OK.

Ive spoken to a a few kit car builds who have failed their engineers test for using high flow cats, but passed using the Euro 3 ones on petrol.

Edited by GTRPSI