SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

On 11/13/2016 at 8:00 AM, Deano 1 said:

wheres the best place to order one of these bad boys, should i be looking in the states or australia?

The cheapest place I have found selling them for are the following 2 places in England. I’m looking at a 7670 T4 external gate and the cheapest i could find in Australia is $2875, the 2 below are $2030 posted to my door.

http://www.hybridturbos.com/shop/borgwarner-efr-turbos/

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/performance-turbos-borg-warner-efr-series-c-1050_1286.html

If you want to buy locally email mtq, munt-WA said he got a good price on a 9174 from them. Turbotech list their prices and are cheaper than anything advertised I could find in Australia

http://www.mtqes.com.au/

http://www.turbotech.com.au/products/performance-turbos/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deano 1 said:

whens the sale start Full Race Geoff??

Hey guys, Our Black Friday sale starts today, lasts until friday 11/25.  SR20 manifolds on blowout for $799.  s200sx 7670 4" inlet $549.  s300sx FMW $699. Complete Turbo kits are $500 off (coupon code: fullr@ce500). E-mail questions to [email protected] - We are a small staff here and crazy busy this week, but send an email with shipping address we'll get back to you. thanks -Geoff
15068927_10154584195242527_2058852835802

I run Cartel Online ww.cartel-aus.com and can now source BW turbos. We will beat any price on Borg Warner turbos offered by any Aussie reseller and our website also has a price match request where we will also try to price match any international reseller (advertised international price + freight + 10% GST)

Not all models are listed but I am getting there... And Interest Free finance is available too

https://www.cartel-aus.com/product-category/enginebraking/borg-warner-turbos/

• 3 weeks later...

OK question time. 

- What would be the best option for a solid 375-400rwkw in a stock bottomed RB26? Has headstuds, e85 setup, 76 plazmaman, cam gears already. 

- Could I potentially low mount this? 

- On what manifold? 

- Are we all agreed that the IW setup on these is good enough or is an external setup going to be better?

The goal is maximum response to improve over -9s on a street car. I may also move to Kelford L182-A cams and springs.

Will a 7670 get me there? My tuner just said a basic 3582R and a 6 boost would do, but these appear more responsive plus the smaller size means I have better chance of low mount. If low mount is too hard/expensive then high mount it will have to be. 

Edited by ActionDan
  • Like 1

400kw would be pushing it on an EFR7670 but high 300kw @ wheels with epic response should be doable.  I wouldn't rely on an EFR7670 being a lot smaller than a GT3582R, haven't seen one in person but they're not little things.  I'd definitely go external with an RB26, partly because you'd want the 1.05a/r hotside.

A GT3582R would clearly do it easily but won't touch the 7670 for response.  

Edited by Lithium

I tried to get my 8374 low mounted. 7670 is smaller, but only a little. Low mount isn't happening unless you find a solution for a gt35 low mount.

7670 ewg would Max out at your power goals. Should be a highly responsive turbo for the power.

This whole ugly turbo thing. Seriously guys, man up. You won't be worried about an "ugly" turbo when you're driving the thing. End rant.

What Dan said. 7670/1.05 would be an amazing setup on a RB26.

To draw a comparison, Benny from Benchmark tuning has put a fair few 7670's on EVO's. He says th basically drive like the factory EVO snail... but go onto make north of 400 Kw wound up. It would make the typical "-7/-9 2.6 build" look rather silly.

Because total power is not just about what airflow the turbo can provide.

Fair to say 6L will make more power than a 1L yes? Adding the same turbo to each doesn't magically mean the 1L will now make the same output as the 6L.

So I'm surprised a 2L will make the same/more than a 2.6L with the exact same turbo.

Then again were talking 80s engine vs much newer design...

Fair to say 6L will make more power than a 1L yes? Adding the same turbo to each doesn't magically mean the 1L will now make the same output as the 6L.

So I'm surprised a 2L will make the same/more than a 2.6L with the exact same turbo.

Combustion efficiency vs air flow.

The increase in efficiency is rather small for your initial statement to be relevant.

5 hours ago, ActionDan said:

Pretty sure you'll find posts on here (in the original EFR thread, in fact) that suggest that an increase in displacement will typically shift the power curve to the left, not offer you additional top end power.

22 hours ago, ActionDan said:

- What would be the best option for a solid 375-400rwkw in a stock bottomed RB26? Has headstuds, e85 setup, 76 plazmaman, cam gears already. 

- Could I potentially low mount this? 

- On what manifold? 

- Are we all agreed that the IW setup on these is good enough or is an external setup going to be better?

The goal is maximum response to improve over -9s on a street car. I may also move to Kelford L182-A cams and springs.

Will a 7670 get me there? My tuner just said a basic 3582R and a 6 boost would do, but these appear more responsive plus the smaller size means I have better chance of low mount. If low mount is too hard/expensive then high mount it will have to be.

Garrett's 3582R has an 82mm compressor and can reach you 400rwkw target

BorgWarner 7670 is a 76mm compressor, will be out of breath at 400rwkw but may work well for 375 and quick response

BorgWarner 8374 is 83mm compressor, and pumps out 400rwkw easily. 

Internal WG has its benefits (simplicity, cost) especially with EFR twins.  But when looking to run a single at high boost and high rpm, external WG is typically more popular.  it requires the gates, dumptubes, flanges/clamps etc

22 hours ago, Lithium said:

400kw would be pushing it on an EFR7670 but high 300kw @ wheels with epic response should be doable.  I wouldn't rely on an EFR7670 being a lot smaller than a GT3582R, haven't seen one in person but they're not little things.  I'd definitely go external with an RB26, partly because you'd want the 1.05a/r hotside.  A GT3582R would clearly do it easily but won't touch the 7670 for response.  

agreed

19 hours ago, Piggaz said:

This whole ugly turbo thing. Seriously guys, man up. You won't be worried about an "ugly" turbo when you're driving the thing. End rant.

oh the horror!  its so ugly i cant bear to look at it let alone drive it!  hahaha

Kenneth-TS-GTR-11.jpg

14 hours ago, ActionDan said:

spend some time with matchbot, videos at the bottom of the page explain how to use it: http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/aftermarket/matchbot.aspx

21 hours ago, ActionDan said:

They're an ugly turbo to want to high mount. Dare I say the Precision is prettier to look at? When you see a full 6262 setup for $2300 (manifold, EWG, Dump. turbo, and lines) doesn't look like a bad option. 

Yeah that ugly integrated bov on the compressor housing that gets rid of 2km of factory bov pipe work out of your engine bay. Got a link for this brand new $2300 Precision 6262 kit?

21 hours ago, Piggaz said:

It's a gtr, it sits in the shed and you look at it not drive it :laugh:

If you can wait until May next year i will have results on my 7670 T4 external gate vs -7 twins.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2016 at 10:01 PM, sneakey pete said:

I tried to get my 8374 low mounted. 7670 is smaller, but only a little. Low mount isn't happening unless you find a solution for a gt35 low mount.

7670 ewg would Max out at your power goals. Should be a highly responsive turbo for the power.

I tried out the 8374 and 7670 on an HKS bottom mount. Issue with the 8374 was the compressor inlet sits too close to the engine mount and also fouls the oil supply port on the block. 7670 sits much better, will have to use a sharp angle for the intake pipe right off the compressor to clear the mount. I'll dig up some pics and post them later. . .