SAU Community

R33 K-sport brake kit fitment

R33 K-sport brake kit fitment

yo...picked up a K Sport front kit, 8 pot calipers and the 330mm discs. Like the other thread on here, i had some issue with runout being 0.24mm, way over the 0.10 max. But a bigger issue was, the caliper adapters use an M14 bolt to bolt the adapter to the hub, rather than the stock M12. KSport have replied quickly, telling me I need to drill out the hub mounts to 14mm - i know plenty of people on here using this kit but never had anyone mention this before; is this right or have i been sent R34 adapters? 

Not keen on drilling out the hub mounts as it means i won't ever be able to go back to stock calipers again if needed.

R33 K-sport brake kit fitment yo...picked up a K Sport front kit, 8 pot calipers and the 330mm discs. Like the other thread on here, i had some issue with runout being 0.24mm, way over the 0.10 max. But a bigger issue was, the caliper adapters use an M14 bolt to bolt the adapter to the hub, rather than the stock M12. KSport have replied quickly, telling me I need to drill out the hub mounts to 14mm - i know plenty of people on here using this kit but never had anyone mention this before; is this right or have i been sent R34 adapters? 
Not keen on drilling out the hub mounts as it means i won't ever be able to go back to stock calipers again if needed.

Sounds like R34 adapters to me? I thought all K-sport kits were meant to be plug and play, I wouldn't go drilling just yet.

Also that's massive runout, I had heaps of vibration at just 0.10mm in a 310mm disc, you'll need to get that sorted.

Here's my mission from last week with some tips: https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/448613-r34-gtt-brake-improvement-without-breaking-the-bank/?do=findComment&comment=7803377

You could get a metal bush made up and insert into the 14mm holes and then just use your 12mm bolts. Or if the threads are in the adapter use a time sert or helicoill to reduce the size. I know of people who have used both methods successfully. When I was in a similar situation, I just drilled out the holes to 14mm and had some reducer bushes made up just in case I ever wanted to revert to stock calipers.

K-sport have probably just given you the kit that they had in stock, bugger that particularly with the run out problem.

Edited by 260DET

sounds to me like you have the wrong kit. 32 would definitely be 12mm and 34 is 14mm....I don't know if all 33s are 12mm or maybe they changed along the way somewhere.

Either way I'd be trying for a sway to a 32 kit first, but if not I'd happily drill the hub out to 14mm (after all you can always go back to stock because 12mm bolts fit in 14mm holes...

Which end of the brake fitting has the wrong end, chassis or caliper end? All the ones I've had a banjo at the caliper end and flare at the car end.

When you say the runout is over spec, is that the disc when it is bolted to the hub? it could be the hub or the mating surface that is the issue as much as the disc.

I just put a set of these (ATTKD brand) on the cima last weekend and they went on perfectly, 4th set I've bought of these over 10 years now. 

thanks Duncan. I've never read anything to indicate any R33 gtst had anything other than 12mm mounting bolts, with 14mm appearing on r34's, with the bigger discs.

the 12mm bolt would fit in the 14 mm hole but would be sloppy, and adapters can be made but why bother if I don't need to, and Ksport do make a r33/12mm caliper adapter? Plus a lot more stuffing round taking off hub, putting on drill press to make sure hole is drilled square, etc.

Hose has a banjo fitting at caliper end but a concave fitting at the end where it fits to the factory hard line, and the stock line has a raised/convex fitting rather than concave.

For the runout, the hub is spotless and has about 0.02mm runout. I have fitted the ksport disc to all 5 different positions on the hub and I get the same runout figures in every location I'm open to further suggestions on what to check but can't see any issue with the hub and the fact the dial indicator readings are consistent on the disc, has me thinking that it is runout on the disc. Didn't get as far as the driver's side to check its runout, due to the caliper adapters not fitting anyway.

• Like 1

thanks dude, will see how we go.

While the first reply from K Sport was a bit 'brush off' they did reply quickly so will see how this develops, before passing any harsh judgement.  Something along the lines of, mistakes happen, it's how you deal with them that matters..

• Like 1

Wait.. sorry man. The adaptors are for those of us with 14mm hubs and need them to be 12mm for 32r/33.

The bolt slides through the hub and bolts to the caliper. Sleeves won't work if the hub is 12mm and the bolt is 14mm. But will if you were to drill your hub and want to go back to stock.

Get them to send you the correct kit with the correct brake lines... That's ridiculous they didn't correct their mistake straight away and instead they asked you to drill your hub...

• Like 1

Yeh, I'd be telling them it's going to be returned for a refund and take it from there. They know exactly what they have done and are counting on you rolling over, surely there are other options available to you.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:46 AM, 260DET said:

Yeh, I'd be telling them it's going to be returned for a refund and take it from there. They know exactly what they have done and are counting on you rolling over, surely there are other options available to you.

seems that's exactly it. Their "lack of staff in the office" to deal with the matter, is not my problem.. All i'll say is, I have a refund from them now, and also have an ATKKD kit from Justjap on my car which fits EXACTLY as it should. Works great, and as always I got very good service and communication from them.

• Like 6