SAU Community

S14-15 vs Evo 7-9 Track Car

S15 vs Evo 7-9 Track Car  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No Golf R love aye?

MK6 Golf R can be had for under 30k (nearly same price as GTIs).. in stock form with a decent driver and only decent street tyres will nail down a 1m10~11 at Wakefield Park. Now imagine some R-compounds, better pads (not even brake upgrades), a better seat in the car. I suspect in the right hands a 1m7~8s, then come the suspension and power mods later down the track.

Not to mention it's a direct injected motor - you'll be see power/torque from as low as 2k rpm.

Until it throws a fault code :P

What's wrong with Subaru? I have a 5th gen Lib GT wagon, more room than a Jeep Cherokee SRT, goes alright. It's about to hit 240,000km, no issues besides wear and tear, as expected from a high mileage country car. Not a track car though so off topic :P

Subaru seem to be quick in the UK, so they can't be that bad.

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Not to mention it's a direct injected motor - you'll be see power/torque from as low as 2k rpm.

and get to clean the intake of carbon build-up whenever it feels like its losing power. yay!

18 hours ago, Hadouken said:

Hah what a great clip, you know they put always Tsuchiya in the fastest and best car ;) 

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

No Golf R love aye?

MK6 Golf R can be had for under 30k (nearly same price as GTIs).. in stock form with a decent driver and only decent street tyres will nail down a 1m10~11 at Wakefield Park. Now imagine some R-compounds, better pads (not even brake upgrades), a better seat in the car. I suspect in the right hands a 1m7~8s, then come the suspension and power mods later down the track.

The other two have much better aftermarket parts support, especially in WTAC formats. Parts more expensive for everything on a Golf. Plus it's a Golf...

1 hour ago, niZmO_Man said:

Until it throws a fault code :P

What's wrong with Subaru? I have a 5th gen Lib GT wagon, more room than a Jeep Cherokee SRT, goes alright. It's about to hit 240,000km, no issues besides wear and tear, as expected from a high mileage country car. Not a track car though so off topic :P

Subaru seem to be quick in the UK, so they can't be that bad.

Weak boxes, weak bottom ends, shitful motor to work on, inferior AWD system. All track specific points, but that's the context of the discussion. I have never seen a WRX or STI go faster than anything else of similar mods, and in many cases lesser mods and less money spent. They suck.

Any company that intentionally puts an untuned length manifold on a car to create a "unique" sound at the expense of torque/gas flow/heat build up is stupid.

No Golf R love aye?

I owned 1 with pretty much all mods before needing to go to a bigger turbo and to be honest they r not that impressive. They are good off the line zipping around town but they fall over massively in the top
  • Like 2

Fast = Evo

Fun = S15

Tru64?

Agree with the Subaru view though, it seems only Cosworth/Prodrive are putting effort into Subies, but they're big dollar builds. For the average steerer, Evo seem to be the go-to car. You're going to strip the interior anyway so who cares what they came with from factory :P

• Like 2

For FWD enthusiasts you just can't go passed a Honda with a turbo. It makes me sick seeing what off the shelf parts they have available. It literally feels like the perfect shopping list race car with less labour than every other commuter car.

• Like 2

Common Emo faults? 

6spd not great? 

Seen people needing to do SAYC "rebuilds" on E7s, but have no idea what that's a rebuild off (transfer case? centre diff? do they even have a centre diff?).

How much weight can come out of them easily without going silly they are surprisingly heavy. 

Bit of left field here but I'd recommend Renault Megane RS.

Brilliant little car comes with LSD and cup suspension which is stiff as, amazing car to drive as I've enjoyed driving it around Nurburgring and European alps. I managed 250km/h on Autobahn in one of these (de-restricted of course) and I reckon it's the most lively and soulful modern car. 

Early 2010/11 models can be picked up for $15-18k and chuck a set of decent semi slicks on it - I went to Nurburgring with bog stock Dunlop Sport MAXX's. 

On 6/29/2017 at 5:48 PM, Count Grantleyish said:

Bit of left field here but I'd recommend Renault Megane RS.

Brilliant little car comes with LSD and cup suspension which is stiff as, amazing car to drive as I've enjoyed driving it around Nurburgring and European alps. I managed 250km/h on Autobahn in one of these (de-restricted of course) and I reckon it's the most lively and soulful modern car. 

Early 2010/11 models can be picked up for $15-18k and chuck a set of decent semi slicks on it - I went to Nurburgring with bog stock Dunlop Sport MAXX's. 

They are brilliant - I'm actually thinking of buying one in the next 12 months, after driving a 275 RS Cup along the old pacific highway

Prices are low due to epic depreciation and the suspension setup has been done by people who know what they are doing, its pretty much perfect out of the box. Some of the later cars even run an exxy adjustable ohlins setup with composite springs and pilot sport cup 2 tyres

Edited by junkie
error

Get an s chassis! Don't see enough being used for track days!

S15 are great except for fragile 6 speed over an s14 5 speed. Plenty of aftermarket parts as well.

With simple mods the SR20 seems pretty reliable. Mines been going strong on 200kw for last few years. Recently bumped to 240 so will comment again after few more track days! [emoji23]