SAU Community

MLR's 86 not a build thread thread

I duno why but every time I see there is a new post in this thread I’m expecting it to start with

So the motor let go yesterday and now I’m going to spend a butt load more on making it mental 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, UWISSH! said:

I duno why but every time I see there is a new post in this thread I’m expecting it to start with

So the motor let go yesterday and now I’m going to spend a butt load more on making it mental 

Give it time mate, it's not like I'm talking it easy on it.

Although at only 200kw 270nm it's not like it's making huge power.

From talking to a few people alot of cars grenaded due to people not knowing how to tune them properly.

Maybe if it was being tracked the additional heat and lots of high rpm the longevity could be counted in hours, but for a street car, at the current power level, the thing just loves a bit of sensible thrashing and catches alot of people of guard. 

My only oil control is a Forester heat exchanger I put on, typical to the RB one that everyone removes, I love it because it brings up the oil temp quicker from cold, and the quicker my oil hits 90°c the quicker I can give it some beans, and it also works well at stabilizing the oil temp during spirited driving. It has zero effect on my coolant temps, which basically stabilize around 90°c.

I'm currently wondering if and when a 2nd generation 86 hits, there has been alot of talk but nothing solid.

In other news: my stock clutch isn't liking its life and will need to be looked at shortly.

Maybe > https://vsport.com.au/product/86-brz-exedy-clutch-replacement-kits/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GTofuS-T said:

have you learned to tighten them correctly so you stop losing them?

I have a habit of putting the car on stands, pulling stuff apart, then putting everything back together a day or so later, I also have big drain grates around, after working on the car I tend to walk around looking at stuff, typically drinking and tripping over shit, hell, it's not a sensible thing to do, but it's how I roll.

Note to self: be more organised when working on the car.

Meh, yeah nah.

Organising shit is for chicks.

EDIT: come to think of it, this lack of organisational skills could be the eeason I have no 1/4 or 3/8 sockets left, and I can never find a 10mm or 14mm socket, on a positive note my allen keys are pretty rusty.

2 hours ago, UWISSH! said:

So the motor let go yesterday and now the wife’s gone mental 

Fixed lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Been away with work for a while, managed to get home last weekend, took the thing for a spin.

I think I need a new clutch...by think I need one, I mean my throw out bearing seems kaput.

#UWISSH

No catastrophic engine failure yet mate, I am working on it though.

12 hours ago, mlr said:

Been away with work for a while, managed to get home last weekend, took the thing for a spin.

I think I need a new clutch...by think I need one, I mean my throw out bearing seems kaput.

#UWISSH

No catastrophic engine failure yet mate, I am working on it though.

Am disappointed... plz try harder. I wana see how crazy it gets next (either divorce or nuts engine)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to get an analysis done on my gearbox oil at Mainlube in Botany.

I'll drop off the sample to them, it will take 30 minutes for the test and evaluation, from there we will make a call of what is required.

I only need to grab 2.5ltrs of the stuff so additional cost isn't really a worry .

I might end up getting a oil from them, they build their oil packs on site based of the analysis, type of metals used and the use and service schedule.

I'll post up when it's done, give me a few weeks.

Maybe this is something I should have done with the Skyline, that thing would chew the case hardening of the gears after a few hard launches, it ate 3 gearboxes that way when I had it.

I have heard of people getting tests on engine oil, but never gear box oil.

And as the Aisin 6 speed is rated to 250nm, and I'm currently at around 280nm ATW, it might be cheap insurance for gearbox longevity.

Maybe?????????

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...WIKIXS_zCTWs6-

Ebay purchases.

I just got home from 2 months away with work, sooo, I'm going to drop a week of leave, so while it's up on stands and I'm playing with my gearbox and diff oil,  every time I wrap an exhaust, I swear I will not do it again....and this time is on the car....yeah....it's going to suck.....and I'll say I'll never do it again......till next time.....#nevergonnalearn26525502_s-l400(1).jpg.2f387c90914f772bba0c4f9833da3494.jpgs-l400.jpg.6e15331992146591edb202b3ace14016.jpg

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

FYI, I once set my car on fire with one of those turbo blankets.

I've run 2 of them before without issue, and heaps of heat wrap.

Smokey as all hell when new though.

My plan is to intall it, drive straight to the hwy and drive to Goulburn and back.

Last time I "cured" a beanie and wrap, the STI, it looked like my car "was" on fire, that much smoke came out when I stopped at the lights a guy came over to see if I was alright.

I think in my case it wasn't actually the blanket itself, but oil residue/something along those lines, installed with dirty hands etc and it was that that got it all going. it was legit fire and flames and required a fire extinguisher, details in my build "thread" lol.

So this may not apply to you, if you put it on right, clean, with new gloves, etc. I will say that the blanket crumbles into dust really satisfyingly if it does catch on fire, though.

29 minutes ago, mlr said:

I've run 2 of them before without issue, and heaps of heat wrap.

Smokey as all hell when new though.

My plan is to intall it, drive straight to the hwy and drive to Goulburn and back.

Last time I "cured" a beanie and wrap, the STI, it looked like my car "was" on fire, that much smoke came out when I stopped at the lights a guy came over to see if I was alright.

You dropping by for a beer mate?

Pretty sure the 86 won't make it down the last road to our place since the last floods though....so we may have to set up chairs on the corner

29 minutes ago, Duncan said:

You dropping by for a beer mate?

Pretty sure the 86 won't make it down the last road to our place since the last floods though....so we may have to set up chairs on the corner

I always carry a folding chair in the boot, no one has time for drinking standing up.

Epic external cleaning day.

Wash with Mothers car wash

Polished with Mothers polish

Glazed with...yeap, Mothers Glaze. (Jackie is awesome, all my prezzies are car wash related).

Then washed again.

Then the whole exterior was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.

Then, for something different, I tried the Mothers CMX ceramic spray stuff, spray wipe, let dry, then buff, then, because waiting 24hrs is for chicks, I gave it a second coat 1 hour later....?

I'll give it a 3rd coat tomorrow morning, and a 4th after lunch.

That should finish the $60 bottle of "stuff".

So far, after 2 quick coats, the paint is nice and deep, sadly I missed a few little scratches when polishing, meh...

So, hopefully, I will not need to do to much to clean the car for a year, spray on some wash, then gernie and dry.....hopefully....

We'll see.

In other news, turbo beanie is here, exhaust wrap isn't yet, plus need some gearbox oil.

Fun times ahead, jobs for tomorrow, jobs for next week.

In other, other news, f**k work, I've got car stuff to do...

Lots of work but a non productive day in the end.

Turbo beanie was a letdown.

Whilst it was for an internally gated turbo, it fit like arse on the internally gated AVO.

Attempted to wrap the header when it was on the car, stopped attempting when I made blood for the 3rd time.

The only real way to get it right would be to remove the header.

The header and turbo does have ceramic coating so.....f**k it.....??.

• Sad 1