SAU Community

R32 Front Windscreen Molding Removal

Hi folks, I hope to get some tips on removing front windscreen molding.

The top horizontal molding on my R32 has faded, so I order a new one.  Then I found out afterward the side vertical moldings need to come off before the top one can be removed.  Are there tricks or tips to remove the side moldings and reuse them again?  

Thanks in advance.

Yes I read that already, a few times actually, but it's just not that clear.  I mean, have you actually read it or you just copy and paste?

"disengage fastener from side molding by sliding lower two side molding clips" - I don't get it. Does that mean pushing the clips downward until they slide out from the bottom corner of windscreen? Also, there are 4 clips on each side according to the graph, so leave the upper two in place?

"remove side molding from fastener by pulling out lower end of molding" - Also don't get it. After the bottom 2 clips are out, I start pulling the side molding down? The top of side molding are 90 degree, won't that bend the molding by pulling down?

Given that the clips snap into place when installing, I'm pretty sure that they don't come out from under the trim. I think the sliding movement to release them just squishes them so that they flex and their tangs come out from under the lip they hook onto.

I've had them off about 20 years ago. Just fiddled around with the screwdriver until they released.

2 hours ago, TXSquirrel said:

"disengage fastener from side molding by sliding lower two side molding clips"

Unfortunately terminology is the likely problem here, I think, not to mention the GTR manual is translated from the Japanese and there is some 'JapLish' resulting.   The 'fastener' (PN 72725-04U19) referred to is a molded 'channel' that surrounds the left, right and top of the screen.   The fastener's purpose is to hold the windscreen molds in place via the clips mentioned.  It is embedded into the polyurethane windscreen seal at the time of windscreen installation.    

The clips have to be released from the fastener to take off the molds and the recommended method is using a shaped screwdriver between the mold and the windscreen to release the clips.     My interpretation is that the 'sliding' reference is actually to  'sliding' the screwdriver under the mold to release the clips.

In the same way, the 'pulling out lower end of molding' is actually a reference to moving the bottom part of the mold away from the windscreen after the clips have been released.    That has to be done carefully as to no bend the mold.     The mold could then be released at the top.

Anyway, having actually attempted this years ago I can say it's extremely difficult to release the clips without breaking them.     Unfortunately, the clips are no longer available from Nissan spare parts other than by buying a complete mold set.   They are available via the Heritage program, but quite expensive.

I bought complete new molding sets (front and rear) before the price went crazy and they've literally just been installed in my car.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 4.27.57 pm.png

Thank you all for the feedback.  I bought the top molding first then read the manual, that's when I went oops. 

I thought I was being clever and saved money to find a website selling only the top molding, but looks I still need the whole molding kit so I wasted more money instead.  Just that my two side moldings are still in really good shape, so I'm spending extra money solely for the damn clips.

11 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

No more than 4 years ago.

I bought my current GT-R in 2015. I reckon every piece of vinyl and plastic that I have bought since then has cost a comparative fortune.

So, six years?

Kudos sell the entire front screen trim and seal kit. I have done it and it's a pain in the arse. You will absolutely not save all of the coloured clips under the side trims - they will be brittle and just snap.

On 04/04/2021 at 8:28 AM, GTSBoy said:

Maybe.

I bought inner and outer door window strips for not too much not too long ago (like <2 yrs). Door hinges are still only ~$30 trade.

Inner door strips for white 32 arrived today. They are about $90 - $100 each.

It's the upper outer weatherstrips that are killer at over $1400 a side....Fk that !

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 5:08 PM, TXSquirrel said:

Can you please share how you did it?  

My molding was rock hard from age so I cut it in half somewhere in the center with an xacto knife, being careful not to destroy the molding fastener under. I then proceed to pull it out starting at the center working my way towards the side molding. If you look at your new molding, you'll notice that there's nothing that actually holds it into the fastener under the side moldings. Repeat with second part. 

If this is the first time you change a molding on your R32 or any older car, use a heat gun to soften it up as you pull it out. If you don't, it will tear often and you will need to remove the broken parts afterwards out of the molding fastener which is a pain. If you don't have a heat gun, just leave it out in the sun. I also put masking tape on the painted edge to protect it. Cheers. 

Edited by TurboTapin
  • Like 1