SAU Community

Sending my car in for a 360kw setup next month, need advice.

IM-32-FK

11 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

Sorry when I said 'defective' I didn't mean "get defected"

I mean broken, working improperly. Literally sounds like a car running bad because it is a car running bad... whats next, making the car sound like it's spun rod bearings for clout?

Rotary idle brap tune brah.

4 hours ago, IM-32-FK said:

I thought it was only a sound vanity mod

Yeah, like, just drill holes from the discharge point of the compressor wheel back to the inlet.....nah that won't f**k up the compressor efficiency at all.

It is not a smart thing to do.

49 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

I mean broken, working improperly. Literally sounds like a car running bad because it is a car running bad...

So all the factory trucks and buses that have wild single note dose are running bad?

Not sure running bad and dose are related in anyway tbh.

Just so we're clear, we're talking about that sound that you get when you back off a turbo or supercharger without any kind of release valve?

That sounds broken to me. Because it is, in the applications that it is used. You like it, to me it sounds like someone is driving around with rod knock and thinking it sounds sick because... it's ... broken-sounding?

8 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Just so we're clear, we're talking about that sound that you get when you back off a turbo or supercharger without any kind of release valve?

That sounds broken to me. Because it is, in the applications that it is used. You like it, to me it sounds like someone is driving around with rod knock and thinking it sounds sick because... it's ... broken-sounding?

Plenty of high end race cars run no bov, also the 20det c33's & a31's had no bov from factory 

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 9.47.16 am.png

Edited by WMDC35
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

A push rod V8 with 2 valves per cylinder sounds broken to me.

All subjective 😊

It is subjective! FWIW I am on the fence about bad idling and V8's literally running like shit at idle. 😛 I much prefer an equal length header LS1 if packaging allows and a nice smooth idle...

I suppose yes, cars run no bov before they were invented. Not having a bov for the original items list for OP is at least period correct. As is the T51.

Now all we need is some frosted tips, and white rimmed oakleys and go full 2006.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

A push rod V8 with 2 valves per cylinder sounds broken to me.

All subjective 😊

Speaking of making things worse to sound better, I tried your trick of turning VCT on at idle but didn't notice any change in the level of how hectic my idle sounds. Is there anything else you played with? ...or is my VCT broken? lol

1 hour ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Speaking of making things worse to sound better, I tried your trick of turning VCT on at idle but didn't notice any change in the level of how hectic my idle sounds. Is there anything else you played with? ...or is my VCT broken? lol

You need to punch a timing hole into the zero demand table so the motor becomes inefficient at the idle RPM.

I'll post up screen shots in a bit 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You need to punch a timing hole into the zero demand table so the motor becomes inefficient at the idle RPM.

I'll post up screen shots in a bit 😎

I suppose this is adding value to this thread too :) 

image.thumb.png.09a30dfbfc61370aa6d51167ba8144e7.png

Note the scaling on the RPM axis too, you pretty much want to close up the throttle so the revs drop a bit quicker and once it kisses the cell with higher timing it will hop into the lower load cells and the RPM will drop again.

image.thumb.png.953945ad5ac119bd5a4272afc794fa8d.png

image.thumb.png.8cdd530678de0011fc001b187a5b76c3.png

Also one thing to note, you want to not overly make the idle control closed loop too aggressive as it will end up hunting. This seems to work for me, however I did notice after a hot session on the GP Circuit the car was hunting a bit (I suspect I needed to close up the throttle a bit more).

image.thumb.png.92e7df6025d989e0805b1007cab9c7f3.png

image.thumb.png.ad552e8079ec2d5bfc32e620862c513e.png

Sure this is completely stupid, but so is a T51 SPL compressor mod. Some would argue modding an old car is stupid too (I agree here) and to just buy a F80 M3.

We mod these Skylines because we are not normal.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 8:02 AM, hypergear said:

Nistune with Z32 AFM will be fine for the application, I would install the AFM in cooler piping.

I just wanted to bring this slightly back on track, and also disagree slightly with Tao. If Tao was talking about the Z32 AFM in the cooler piping - I would not do that. The old Hitachi plastic tube AFMs are not supposed to be put into pressure pipework. They are not really mechanically strong enough for it. The modern card style AFMs are easy to fit to pipework and everything about that installation is strong enough to handle boost.

48 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

I just wanted to bring this slightly back on track, and also disagree slightly with Tao. If Tao was talking about the Z32 AFM in the cooler piping - I would not do that. The old Hitachi plastic tube AFMs are not supposed to be put into pressure pipework. They are not really mechanically strong enough for it. The modern card style AFMs are easy to fit to pipework and everything about that installation is strong enough to handle boost.

Funny that back in 2008 my blue 32 I had a Z32 AFM in the pipework after intercooler with a Power FC pro and HKS T51. Not the entire AFM, just the hotwire sensor part in the alloy pipework and was setup like this from Japan. The car actually ran really well with it running 28psi and mid 10s on 98, but still got 10L/100km.

Then the stock 20+ balancer failed and destroyed the engine 👍

But still...it did work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Hack up and epoxy bodge job? Nasty.

Not quite that bad with epoxy, but cut just enough to allow it to sit on the pipe then hose clamped around the pipe either side of the remaining curved section sealed with a rubber gasket. Didn’t leak!

I suspect it was done to have the launch control on the Apexi pro ecu as there was no pro d jetro map sensor version.

How times have changed.