SAU Community

Sending my car in for a 360kw setup next month, need advice.

IM-32-FK

1 hour ago, BK said:

Not quite that bad with epoxy, but cut just enough to allow it to sit on the pipe then hose clamped around the pipe either side of the remaining curved section sealed with a rubber gasket. Didn’t leak!

I suspect it was done to have the launch control on the Apexi pro ecu as there was no pro d jetro map sensor version.

How times have changed.

My god that shows how far we’ve come with these cars 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Guys my car is nearly done. But since I’ve spent nearly 13$k+ I’m having second thoughts on the nistune. Is it really as bad as people make it out to be here? Some guy said his ecu saved him for unlimited boost, but you can set boost limits on the boost controller. I can get a link g4x for $1600 + $100 for air temp sensor + $200 for map sensor. 

Does nistune still have safety protection on the engine? I mean it still has 2 step and temp retarded timing.

You can set TP Load limits on Nistune so when you exceed a load threshold your car will cut power.

Nistune is not bad, it is limited however if you know what you're doing you can:

• Set engine load limits
  • brappy idle if that's your thing
  • launch control
  • full flex
  • boost control

Of course getting a Link would be miles ahead, however if you know what you're doing Nstune itself is quite powerful. Just these "some guys" always bag out poorly setup Nistunes and thus giving it a bad name.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You can set TP Load limits on Nistune so when you exceed a load threshold your car will cut power.

Nistune is not bad, it is limited however if you know what you're doing you can:

• Set engine load limits
  • brappy idle if that's your thing
  • launch control
  • full flex
  • boost control

Of course getting a Link would be miles ahead, however if you know what you're doing Nstune itself is quite powerful. Just these "some guys" always bag out poorly setup Nistunes and thus giving it a bad name.

That’s good to hear. I might as well keep it then. What other features does nistune have? I heard it doesn’t have ignition cut and anti lag. But through the 2 step fuel cut there’s retarded timing, does this mean some of the combustion will occur in the exhaust? I really want flames and bangs on 2 step. Also is it capable of pop and crackle?

Edited by IM-32-FK
  • Sad 1

No it doesn't, it's purely a secondary rev limiter to help you get off the line.

You can dial in -ve ignition however it uses a fuel cut so you don't get the bang bang you're after.

Do you actually need the flames and bangs? is it purely for show? OR are you actually trying to build boost to get off the line?

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Do you actually need the flames and bangs? is it purely for show? OR are you actually trying to build boost to get off the line

Both of them.

This works by temporarily modifying the stock rev limiter (fuel cut), and also imposes a temporary ignition retard. Retarding the ignition timing makes EGTs skyrocket, which produces more heat energy through the exhaust manifold, helping to spool the turbo up. Of course, it does need to be done with caution because it raises the EGTs.”

what’s the point of retarded timing if it’s fuel cut. Nothing is being ignited or feed fuel

. In reality, a fuel cut is just that: a cut. It doesn’t just reduce how much fuel is injected, it completely stops injecting fuel outright. So it doesn’t create a lean air-fuel mixture, there’s just no fuel at all, just air and spark, so there’s zero combustion.”

injectors only feed fuel to engine when under load increasing rpm?that’s news to me.(I don’t know why this text is small lol)

Edited by IM-32-FK

8 hours ago, IM-32-FK said:

Guys my car is nearly done. But since I’ve spent nearly 13$k+ I’m having second thoughts on the nistune. Is it really as bad as people make it out to be here? Some guy said his ecu saved him for unlimited boost, but you can set boost limits on the boost controller. I can get a link g4x for $1600 + $100 for air temp sensor + $200 for map sensor. 

Does nistune still have safety protection on the engine? I mean it still has 2 step and temp retarded timing.

As I said before, my wastegate actuator failed and it's failed state was seized shut. Your boost controller can't control a wastegate actuator that has seized shut. 

8 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

As I said before, my wastegate actuator failed and it's failed state was seized shut. Your boost controller can't control a wastegate actuator that has seized shut. 

I’ve had the hose come off the actuator but the boost controllers limiter stopped it going past 0.86bar. Doesn’t the vacuum open up the wastegate through the actuator? Or can the actuator still operate with atmo without a vacuum boost line?

56 minutes ago, IM-32-FK said:

Both of them.

This works by temporarily modifying the stock rev limiter (fuel cut), and also imposes a temporary ignition retard. Retarding the ignition timing makes EGTs skyrocket, which produces more heat energy through the exhaust manifold, helping to spool the turbo up. Of course, it does need to be done with caution because it raises the EGTs.”

what’s the point of retarded timing if it’s fuel cut. Nothing is being ignited or feed fuel

. In reality, a fuel cut is just that: a cut. It doesn’t just reduce how much fuel is injected, it completely stops injecting fuel outright. So it doesn’t create a lean air-fuel mixture, there’s just no fuel at all, just air and spark, so there’s zero combustion.”

injectors only feed fuel to engine when under load increasing rpm?that’s news to me.(I don’t know why this text is small lol)

There are times you would want to cut both ignition and fuel at the same time. Have a look at what Link ECU do for the rotary only rev limiter, that cut is both fuel and ignition. A very simple explanation of this is, the fuel and ignition style cut is very gentle on the motor. 

No, the injectors do not only fire under load / increasing rpm. I'm not really sure what your getting at with that statement or if you had a question. 

3 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

No, the injectors do not only fire under load / increasing rpm. I'm not really sure what your getting at with that statement or if you had a question. 

That quote said it completely stops injecting fuel outright, not reducing it, and that there’s no combustion.So I was wondering how it can hold on the 2step without fuel

1 minute ago, IM-32-FK said:

That quote said it completely stops injecting fuel outright, not reducing it, and that there’s no combustion.So I was wondering how it can hold on the 2step without fuel

Are you thinking that "2step" means huge flames / pops and bangs?

2step just means a second rev limit. 

So it works the same way your normal rev limiter works. If you have 2step, now you just have 2 rev limiters set at different points. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Are you thinking that "2step" means huge flames / pops and bangs?

2step just means a second rev limit. 

So it works the same way your normal rev limiter works. If you have 2step, now you just have 2 rev limiters set at different points. 

I know that . I’m just asking you if the revs can hold without any fuel in the cylinder, like the quote was saying

On 3/6/2023 at 6:16 PM, IM-32-FK said:

I know that . I’m just asking you if the revs can hold without any fuel in the cylinder, like the quote was saying

Yep. Engine won't just stop.

Spend the money and get the link and get a crackle tune. You want to. Ask for the impress teenage boys crackle tune.

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Yep. Engine won't just stop.

Spend the money and get the link and get a crackle tune. You want to. Ask for the impress teenage boys crackle tune.

Actually that’s one thing I don’t want. I actually want ign cut for flames and higher boost and anti lag because im gonna send it eastern creek rolling race and drag

On 06/03/2023 at 7:23 PM, IM-32-FK said:

That depends on how hori the ECU or tuning is.    Depending on the car I usually use both timing retard and fuel cut to manage the launch control as I tend to get quite OCD with the control range of the launch setup, and also try and ensure it ACTUALLY does what you need from a launch control - such as spool the turbo.

A lot of 90s/2000s launch control (and to be fair you still hear this used) did "100% cut" which basically meant all injection events were stopped until the engine speed fell under the target threshold, which is a bit self defeating as when those injection events stop so does the fuel which provides the energy you are meant to be using to spool the turbo.   With a decent ECU the "fuel cut" doesn't cut every injection cycle, it just cuts a % of the injection events based off the rules set - so even during a full engine cycle where the is limiting happening there will often be at least 1 fuel injection event, so the retarded timing will be applied to that event.   

The reason for doing both is the retarded timing both means the engine makes less torque meaning you need to cut less injection events to not overshoot the target rpm, which means more fuel going through the exhaust, and also with the retarded timing less of the fuel's energy has been used driving the piston and is instead available for helping the spoolyboi.   

So yeah, that's the point of retarded timing if it's fuel cut - at least with a decent ECU :)

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 3

On 3/5/2023 at 11:24 PM, IM-32-FK said:

I’ve had the hose come off the actuator but the boost controllers limiter stopped it going past 0.86bar. Doesn’t the vacuum open up the wastegate through the actuator? Or can the actuator still operate with atmo without a vacuum boost line?

Internal single port wastegates will probably end up somewhere around double wastegate spring pressure if you just have it open to atmosphere. A hard fuel cut on overboost will probably save the engine but it'll be quite violent to experience. Someone local to me had their timing belt jump and shred itself on their crank trigger from an overboost fuel cut which definitely ruined their day. It's also possible that the timing belt was overtensioned but in general it's better to not test the limits of your equipment.

Guys I bought a Link G4X along with a link IAT and 4 bar map sensor. I can’t wait I’m so excited!!

the product page says you need to run stock wiring for the boost solenoid but can’t run the stock solenoid. My current blitz solenoid runs straight to the boost controller with its own wiring. How would I go by this running a boost controller?

also the blitz dual sbc controller is very old now, but is it enough to suffice? It still has gain control, warning and limiter and even scramble boost. But I mostly like it because it shows my peak boost.