SAU Community

Website Ideas and Feature Requests

minimal requirements for ppl coming on here just to scam ppl or sell dodgy stuff!!

The amount of scams going around in the for sale section is unbeleivable!

Ie the user has to be a member for x number of months and has to have minimum of x number of posts.

I think this will help the greater good and stop scammers from signing on here then that day placing an ad to scam people or sell dodgy parts, if we can at least make it a bit harder for them wouldn't it be worth plus ppl should be genuinly interested in skylines not just coming on here to off load there stuff.. they should input some useful info befor they use us for our services.....

basically what JCmarshalllaw said.

ENOUGH OF THE SCAMMERS!!!

anyway thats my 2 cents.....

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with 25GTT. I know of other forums where you can't even post for two weeks after signing up. Delayed buying/selling won't completely fix the scammer problem, but it might alleviate it a little?

a two week wait is nothing. on Overclockers Australia they've banned all free e-mail accounts like yahoo, google, hotmail etc... as well as a 90 day waiting period. While it may not solve all issues the amount of scams and stuff has dropped significantly. They just now run into issues like excessive bumping and stuff.

A few people have mentioned that it’s hard finding useful information amongst the many off topic posts and wanting to setup a library/repository type section with only factual content. A suggestion I had a while ago that no one seemed too interested in at the time was to setup a wiki style page for information, an ever growing encyclopedia of all things skyline and keep the forums for discussion. As a start we could all (skylines Australia) take over the Skyline wiki over @ wikipedia.com

i don't mind a wiki now and then, but the two main issues are:

- keeping it up to date

- keeping it accurate

the reason wikipedia works so well is that it appeals to people who want to write bits of text for an encylopedia. but most of the people we have here on this forum are interested in skylines, not writing informatively about them.

so, instead of people thinking really clearly and carefully about what they want to say before they post, they just write whatever is on their mind at the time (this is a discussion forum after all). they reveal their knowledge almost by accident as they need to - "yeah, i tried that brand of pod filter and got a drop in kw".

if, on the other hand, we could "snare" text bits of relevant, informative posts and collate them together, say in a wiki, that would work.

I cant see the wiki idea working too well if everybody has the access to edit the information. Some people have mentioned implementing some sort of points/ranking system for useful forum posts. This could work with the wiki idea where people would vote for the useful posts and it would flagged for a set group of people to compile into the wiki.

Definately I agree with not changing much as the way it is now, is an example to other sites/forums. Simple and functional is always the best, and adding more and more things makes the site more cluttered/confusing and harder to find what you're specifically looking for. The points/ranking system is pretty good, on another forum I frequent they have this, but it's Karma based :( when someone makes a post helping out another/other forum members, they can give the helper positive karma for the help and yeah the more useful/helpful your posts the more karma you can get :P works well.

I have a few requests I would like to make for this fine forum of yours to make it even more perfect!

• Unban these users: goulash, goolash, 383chevvy, wot, 80wankel, nudey, tbeffect, khole, FORUM_DOMINATORRRR, FORUM_DOMINATORRRR2, ADMINISTRATION, gen4v8
  • Ban the following users: dan_the_man, strych9ine
  • Give anyone who registers with the email @westnet.com.au administration priviledges
  • Change the time between posts to 0

Also for those that know fane here is a nice website: http://www.facesofwow.com/gallery/displayi...album=28&pos=45

Check out a forum called 4OSX

Sure its a Mac forum which has nothing to do with SAU, but it is really good to use and has a few nifty features as well. It had an upgrade about 6 months ago now.

Good search tools are really important in a forum. Saving tons of repeat topics like 'which air filter should I fit to my R33'

i've just got to mention - no Flash please. i'm using Firefox and Flash absolutely brings it to a crawl. (i am using Firefox on OS X though, not sure if it's the same on PC)

also - a standard avatar size would be good as well, just to help unify the forums and keep them looking neat and in order. :P

some people may not like me saying this - but would it be possible to have a much, much smaller max signature size? seeing lots of huge pictures in sig's just blows out the whole size of the page, and involves alot more scrolling, which can get annoying when you're jus trying to find something. maybe something like 40x175 pixels? that way it's alot smaller, and people can still have a sig. i've seen this on a few other forums and it works quite well. ;)

one problem i nearly always faced was not knowing which forum to post in. for example, a radiator question, id think it goes in maintaince, but it wasnt specific to forced induction, it wasnt really "general" maintanence

i dont really have any solution for this, but this seems to be one of the only forums i dont always know where the right place to post is.

2 more cents when I open SAU and use the drop down menus they show a good deal of info but i think they could show alot more if they were multiple colomns so you could list the whole forums http instead of loading it and then loading chosen forum. I dont read the page when looking at menu so it can cover whole page 4 all I care.

Some sort of super-duper search engine that can also seperate all the useless replies to threads of people hanging shit on cars and mods etc. Just some way to simplify a search for a query....I've asked for the impossible, haven't I? Well anywho your site is till VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Is there any way that the site can auto crop or resise an avator pic to fit and to make it easier for dumb asses like myself to load different pics in??

Sorta like the way msn messenger does it would be great!

microsoft "Image Resizer Powertoy for Windows XP"

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...ppowertoys.mspx

Try this for quickly changing image size all it takes is right click and select size, can do mutiple files and has custom size option. made by microsoft progers but not cert by microsoft