SAU Community

Now: R32 Gtr Brake Upgrade Discussion

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article. We got a alcon kit front and rear only 4potters, big 4 pots front and little 4 pots rear. We run full slicks and before our braking was only very average, now not even the little clubmans, super sport 400kg motorbike engine powered things can outbrake us. But being a 1000kgs heavier we just cant accelerate through the corner like they can :kiss:

I believe the only difference between the 6potters is bigger pad, better wear and less fade again, but they cost more. But big brakes with a good suspension setup surely will yield better results then std brakes with a good suspension setup...would it not? Weve found it like that so far.

The tyres are the limiting factor in braking performance, using a full slick means that YOU have a higher limit. Therefore you will benefit from larger brakes until such time as the brakes’ performance once more exceeds the tyres’ grip (CoF). Once you reach that point, going larger in the brakes would have zero effect. To get any improvement in braking performance you would have to improve the grip levels first.

In good condition, the standard Nissan Sumitomo callipers (4 spot front and 2 spot rear) with standard sized rotors and decent pads can easily exceed R type tyres CoF. So sticking BIG brakes on a road Skyline with road tyres is simply a waste of money from an improving performance view point. If all you are chasing is the look, then that's a different question.

:happy: cheers :angry:

At the risk of getting off topic (Which seems to about lube oil & adult themes which I don't want to think about) how do I get more performance out of my stock GT-R calipers? The R compounds will grip up to 1.2-1.3 gees, but the brakes will only ever kick out one gee (Above 100km/h), no matter how hard I push. Pads are good Ferodo DS2500's all round.

Well my guess is that the only way for us to increase the tyre grip any further would be to run a softer compound slick rather then the mediums were running now. But i think i could say that at the moment since our skyline isnt a road sort the brakes are well suited, and they still exceed the tyres grip as a lock up is still capable. ive got flat spotted slicks to prove that :(

Speaking of looks, I'll be pulling the Bremmies off to fit braided lines and give them a recolour in the same crystal Metalcast red I have on the engine covers, similar i guess to SK's.

Ooooh, very nice (rice). My brake callipers are more Snap On red, not candy apple like the cam covers.

:( cheers :O

At the risk of getting off topic (Which seems to about lube oil & adult themes which I don't want to think about) how do I get more performance out of my stock GT-R calipers? The R compounds will grip up to 1.2-1.3 gees, but the brakes will only ever kick out one gee (Above 100km/h), no matter how hard I push. Pads are good Ferodo DS2500's all round.

How about a higher CoF pad compound? Say a Performance Friction or a Hawke.

:( cheers :O

I have read this thread, and also done a search and read quite a few threads. Im after some pads for spirited street driving, good when cold, good when pushed a bit. Its for a mildly modifyed R32 GTR.

I was thinking Ferodo DS2500? Any input?

Thanks

Hey Marcus,

What you putting on the rear??

Nice brakes, bet you can't wait to get it on the track...

Used Pizza trays and some multi-grips with custom braided lines and links. Should lock those rears easy! :laugh:

To get any improvement in braking performance you would have to improve the grip levels first.

In good condition, the standard Nissan Sumitomo callipers (4 spot front and 2 spot rear) with standard sized rotors and decent pads can easily exceed R type tyres CoF. So sticking BIG brakes on a road Skyline with road tyres is simply a waste of money from an improving performance view point. If all you are chasing is the look, then that's a different question.

By performance are you allowing for consistancy? I agree with what you are saying with the std calipers, but the rotors? GTRs are a big heavy car with a good turn of grunt.

And thinking logically there has to be something to the fact that Nissan gave the R32 V-Spec 324mm rotors. The only real difference in caliper is the step up to differential sized pistons, bot the piston area wasnt overly different. The fact that the R33 and R34 uses 324mm rotors, the N1 GTRs use 324mm rotors etc etc

Well i think thats a decent indicator that even Nissan think the original R32 brakes were a little underdone, whilst the 324 rotors with Brembos is good enough for the cars they hoped would be competitive in Production Racing

So dont think the R32 GTR brakes can do a great job even with good pads etc, do the job yes, but shoudl be pretty high up on the list of things to do if you want to enjoy and go quick at the track. Of course if you only need three laps at a time...i will change my tune

dammit. now i wanna upgrade my fronts from f40 to something bigger :laugh:

ive got ap 4pots on the rear with 330x26mm twopiece. veryy impressed with them.

but... one thing i noticed is they came with alloy pistons. wich i thought was stupid.

so from a factory standard of the shelf caliper. i think the brembos are better. stainless pistons annd a big enoughf pad thats very widly used to keep the pad cost down. honestly the "big reds" are a nice caliper.

but some nice monoblock brembos or alcons would be cool*droules*

Hey Marcus,

What you putting on the rear??

Nice brakes, bet you can't wait to get it on the track...

hoping to run a std GTR33 rear brembo with 350z rotor (322mm) if someone (not naming anyone, Roy) gets off his Dutton fat arse and draws up the brackets...

that is unless i find a set of porsche 911 radial rears in the meantime...

hoping to run a std GTR33 rear brembo with 350z rotor (322mm) if someone (not naming anyone, Roy) gets off his Dutton fat arse and draws up the brackets...

that is unless i find a set of porsche 911 radial rears in the meantime...

What size rotors you got up front? 365mm??

I have read this thread, and also done a search and read quite a few threads. Im after some pads for spirited street driving, good when cold, good when pushed a bit. Its for a mildly modifyed R32 GTR.

I was thinking Ferodo DS2500? Any input?

Thanks

DS2500's are a great 'all round' competition pad. I run them on the street also, but I would probably vote them as being more of a short track/circuit pad than a full time street pad. You CAN run them on the street all the time, they feel ok, but they whine and carry on a bit when cold which some people find annoying.. ie sounds a bit like a train pulling up.. ~squeeelll~

If you are on the street all the time, not doing any circuit work or anything - I would probably recommend Bendix Ultimates or even Performax? Cheaper, less noisy - still work well for one or three hard stops.

Even Ultimates can sometimes have a little squeal though.. seems to be on a car by car basis to some degree.