SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Is Andrew posting photos of your 32 online as he does the work?

Said he was taking pics that he would send to me. Unsure if he's posting it on his FB page. It should be a neat install. All tucked away on the rear parcel shelf so the rear seat is unimpeded and it's all out of site.

I almost threw my laptop across the room as I thought you were putting a cage in the R32 :) Good to see its only a harness bar!

Who is the cool folk with the DR30...any pics/progress?

It's on death row. Cage will happen eventually......

There hasn't been much noise in the media about Wrest Point which is only a week away. I saw via Just Jap that quinny has a chocolate car now.

Yeah VERY quiet isn't it. I'm sure it will ramp up a bit. But even Facebook is quiet......

Dead thread?

Yeah I think so :(

But hope not.

Have finally got around to putting together footage from our first run up Mt Buller last year at Targa High Country. We have been using out own notes for the last 3 years there and for the first two events did not have many issues with falling off the notes. This year though we were falling off in just about every stage. Seems that as we were picking up the pace the old notes didn't really seem to keep up. Buller was fairly good though if you listen to the audio you can hear us fall off a few times. I think if we do it again this year we will need to buy the proper notes and spend more time to recce with them.

Have a few plans for the car before TT this year, installing a 5ltr Sard tank in the boot over the next few weeks, replacing the rear brake rotors & pads (maybe even bigger disc & caliper) plus about to order a set of MCAs with remote canisters to replace the old and knocking HKS coilovers. If all goes well and we finish TT with the car in tact we will most likely run THC again later in the year. Possibly even Adelaide if funds persist and I can find someone to navigate.

Good luck to all those entered into Wrest Point next weekend. The weather has been close to perfect the last two years down there, hope it's the same for you all again this year!

Have a few plans for the car before TT this year, installing a 5ltr Sard tank in the boot over the next few weeks

Hi Liam. What's the reasoning behind the extra tank - so you can use E85 for TT and get through the longer stages? Just starting to think about E85 for mine - from your experience do you think this will be enough to get through?

Hi Liam. What's the reasoning behind the extra tank - so you can use E85 for TT and get through the longer stages? Just starting to think about E85 for mine - from your experience do you think this will be enough to get through?

Hi Paul. At the moment we aren't running any sort of surge tank so have been carting full tanks everywhere. With the longer stages at TT and fewer fuel stations I don't really want to rely on having 20l in the tank constantly just to try and prevent surge. Our car is still on 98 and will be for TT, might look at it in the future but would want some time to test the setup before going into something as big as TT.

The tank setup in the 34 is pretty sweet it doesn't surprise me they don't have trouble emptying the tank. I haven't had any issues at the track sitting on empty.

Liam does the 33 have the tank above the subframe or under the boot like the 32's?

The 33 and 34 tank is very similar. When I ran the R33 with Dad we never had a fuel surge issue. Without a swirlpot, that extra 12l in the R32 tank is useless when your on the track

Fellas,

little tech question. I have a minor issue where the front studs on the mazda are 12x1.5 thread and the studs on the floater rear are .5" unf. Ideally I would like to run the same thread/wheelnut front and rear. I guess the preference would be to go for the larger .5" stud all round. Have looked around and there aren't any studs I can find with the right sized knurl to be a press in option for the front hub in the .5" thread. Am guessing its not possible to get the knurling on the hub remachined to a bigger size (havent really looked into it) so my other option was to tap a thread through and go a screw in (loctite) .5" cro mo stud on the front. Any downsides to screw in?

Any thoughts

edit: seems you can drill new holes to the correct size (.007" undersize of the knurl) and press in new studs. Probably the answer.

Edited by Darkside

Thanks Mr "unf**kingsubscribed" :) Definitely dumber from reading that thread,.

EDIT: And best of luck to all those having a crack at TWP this weekend. Have a fast, fun safe one.

Edited by Darkside