SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

For a track car I would go for a turbo that gives you a broader area under the graph, not just outright power..

SS2 would be a perfect choice, gated & on happy juice

The set up will be externally gated...

Yer gives me something to think about. have to pull the trigger and make a decision soon tho....

How much power are you making Manuel? I saw how hard your car bakes, can you give a quick rundown of power/mods?

?

343kw at 18 psi on e85. Mods are ss2 turbo, brae manifold,50mm gate, and then the usual bolt ons like pump injectors pfc etc. stock engine apart from tomei poncams.

They can be made to a vband, usually is a plate to weld a dump pipe to. My turbine is larger and has different radious to 3076 so if you are supplying the housing, i will need to remachine it.

Car was tuned today!

I bought a blown R34 OP6 turbo off eBay specifically for Stao to do a highflow on. I chose the larger turbine mainly for the extra ~30kw it produces over the 21U housing. It is 500rpm laggier than the standard R33 highflow, according to Stao.

Firstly, installation was pretty straightforward. Both coolant lines had to be tweaked slightly to suit the new CHRA, but the oil feed and return were both direct bolt-ons. Obviously intake and dump pipes are exactly the same as standard.

Basic Specs:

1996 R33 S2

Unopened engine, 104,000km. New timing belt, water pump.

HyperGear OP6 highflow.

Nismo 555's

Z32 AFM

R33 GT-R fuel pump with +12v direct re-wire.

Scotty's intake pipe, A3 POD filter (for now).

JJR Return flow FMIC

JJR Dump to Venom Cat to Apexi N1

BP98

Glamour:

2m5hsid.jpg

And the dyno result:

k4v2mw.jpg

Current tune is red, overlaid on the previous tune, which was stock turbo, injectors and AFM @ 11psi.

Verdict: Car feels a lot less punchy under 3000rpm, which I expected. Turbo comes on song at around 3,800, with full boost of 19psi at 4000rpm. It hits hard and fast, where as before with the stock turbo it would feel quite weak in the upper region of the tach. Very happy with the power, and it is still very driveable around town, just less aggressive down low. Fuel economy TBA :P Might go e85 later down the track.

Big thanks to Stao and Trent for their awesome work :thumbsup::D

Edited by colourclassic

Nice result, did you have any issues with the jjr dump? I'm doing the same mods, but found the dump has a 10mm step at the bottom, (ie needs opening up to prevent a restriction)

Looks like there isn't enough meat on the flange to die grind, so will have to crack ze welder out and fix up.

Nice result, did you have any issues with the jjr dump? I'm doing the same mods, but found the dump has a 10mm step at the bottom, (ie needs opening up to prevent a restriction)

Looks like there isn't enough meat on the flange to die grind, so will have to crack ze welder out and fix up.

I've got the ATR43SS2 (i.e. not a high flow) and it works well with my slightly tweaked JJR dump. However the IWG part of the housing is probably a bit different to the OP6.

Here's a post on shaving the JJR flange, not sure if that helps: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/261613-hypergear-hiflow-service-continued/?p=6590457

I ported/die grinded mine ;)

Car was tuned today!

I bought a blown R34 OP6 turbo off eBay specifically for Stao to do a highflow on. I chose the larger turbine mainly for the extra ~30kw it produces over the 21U housing. It is 500rpm laggier than the standard R33 highflow, according to Stao.

Firstly, installation was pretty straightforward. Both coolant lines had to be tweaked slightly to suit the new CHRA, but the oil feed and return were both direct bolt-ons. Obviously intake and dump pipes are exactly the same as standard.

Basic Specs:

1996 R33 S2

Unopened engine, 104,000km. New timing belt, water pump.

HyperGear OP6 highflow.

Nismo 555's

Z32 AFM

R33 GT-R fuel pump with +12v direct re-wire.

Scotty's intake pipe, A3 POD filter (for now).

JJR Return flow FMIC

JJR Dump to Venom Cat to Apexi N1

BP98

And the dyno result:

k4v2mw.jpg

Current tune is red, overlaid on the previous tune, which was stock turbo, injectors and AFM @ 11psi.

Verdict: Car feels a lot less punchy under 3000rpm, which I expected. Turbo comes on song at around 3,800, with full boost of 19psi at 4000rpm. It hits hard and fast, where as before with the stock turbo it would feel quite weak in the upper region of the tach. Very happy with the power, and it is still very driveable around town, just less aggressive down low. Fuel economy TBA :P Might go e85 later down the track.

Big thanks to Stao and Trent for their awesome work :thumbsup::D

Thanks for sharing. This is an excellent result. I'm very happy with how the new wheel configurations performed. Even on a R33 Rb25det it still managed to hold very steady power and torque in upper rev rang, which usually dips after 6500 on stock manifold internally gate.

I have one more results form a recent customer, with a OP6 high flow based on a R34 GTT. Which managed similar result of 271rwkws on pump at 18psi:

271rwkw.jpg

I've been working on few new turbos for the time been. photos and results will be posted shortly.

With JJR dumps they need go through some serious die-grinding, they are then good to use.

I found JJR's return flow coolers get hot pretty easily, while plazamaman, PWR and most of Jap brands stays cool for much longer. Might be the next upgrade to try on.

Thanks for sharing. This is an excellent result. I'm very happy with how the new wheel configurations performed. Even on a R33 Rb25det it still managed to hold very steady power and torque in upper rev rang, which usually dips after 6500 on stock manifold internally gate.

Trent mentioned how impressed he was with the boost curve, it locks on to 19psi and holds it well all the way through. That's with a basic TurboTech MBC too.

Racked up about 80km tonight around Melbourne - gotta say I'm pretty over the moon with how this car performs now.

I believe that to be a great result. Be sure to report back with drag results if you ever go.

I'm keen to go soon and find out!

Yeah my dump needs a lot of work, I'll sort it though. The little rb20 is going to need every bit of help running a op6 high flow, lol

I found it pretty fun porting mine. I just laid the OEM Nissan gasket on and traced with sharpie what needed cleaning up. Make sure you get a nice smooth transition and don't penetrate into the welds and you'll be all good.

Edited by colourclassic

Wow epic result and sex wheels, mind sharing size and offset?

I've been a lazy prick with my car, I'm picking up a new ECU tomorrow and I'll start tuning soon.

I don't think anyone has configured their SS2 like mine yet so it should be fun to find out what it does.

Will share results and timing maps once I start.

• Like 1