SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

I like to hear what intercoolers people are going to after the Blitz return flow . I have one and I think from memory the earlier ones had a larger bore return tube than the later ones .

Also if someone's had the Blitz and changed the core to something else and then plumbed it return style I'd like to see pics of that PLZ . 

Cheers A .

Interesting to see that you guys made that on such similar setup. My cat is very highflow. And the intake is a scotty special so no way it could suck shut.

Exhaust is just a normal 3 inch stainless steel with resonator and cannon. Going to be swapping cannon to a oval muffler soon.

Can't really see what else would be causing my particular setup restrictions other than the wastegate, intercooler or intake. But if you guys are running similar then I'm stumped. Intercooler has been proven in the past to be an issue though. 

3 hours ago, V28VX37 said:

I remember at least two cars reporting just a smidge under 300rwkw on pulp with a Blitz so doubt that it's the sole restriction. Maybe search the 'all dyno results' thread for the full supporting mods?

Also like I think I mentioned the other day, my car went from 257 to 275 rwkw by swapping from an Xforce to a Venom cat, decent difference. Which cat are you running?

I run no cat. its not a road car. My cooler testing results were all based on the same exhaust.

Mine was tuned at about 289KW on BP 98 by JEM - Same turbo, Same cooler, 3" JJR exhaust with an unknown dump and unknown highflow cat, Splitfires with the stock airbox and snorkel. Interesting to see the differences between them. 
I'll also be changing my cooler in the near future and going to a venom cat as recommended by V28VX37. 
Similar to you my IWG actuator was opening at 10PSI which I changed after getting it tuned. The tuner mentioned that he had to have my AVCR settings cranked right up to get it to hold boost, since changing it to a Turbosmart variant I have the settings at 1/3 what it used to be. 
Inbox me if you want more details 

How much boost are you running for that amount of power? On 98

Interesting to see that you guys made that on such similar setup. My cat is errm none existent. And the intake is a scotty special so no way it could suck shut.

Exhaust is just a normal 3 inch stainless steel with resonator and cannon. Going to be swapping cannon to a oval muffler soon.

Can't really see what else would be causing my particular setup restrictions other than the wastegate, intercooler or intake. But if you guys are running similar then I'm stumped. Intercooler has been proven in the past to be an issue though. 

I'm going to go with wastegate issue. Needs more preload or stiffer actuator. Top end is dropping to 16psi. If it could hold 20 you would probably make 285kw on 98 and that would be around the expected power for the setup. I run an older type blitz return flow cooler also with just a high flow 21u and there is no issue holding 19psi flat to red line. A conventional cooler would be better but it still does the job pretty well. I'm also running a crappy Nismo exhaust, car sounds like a vacuum cleaner on steroids.

4 minutes ago, hy_rpm said:

Exhaust isnt a jap branded jasma badged one is it ?

http://www.zssracing.com.au/zss-attack-dt-exhaust-system-nissan-silvia-s15.html

This but suited for R34 GTT, so no step downs to 2inch or anything silly

3 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Possibly collapsed mufflers also.

No muffler on it, 3inch dump into 3 inch highfow cat + resonator out of a big cannon

1 hour ago, hypergear said:

I run no cat. its not a road car. My cooler testing results were all based on the same exhaust.

Hey Tao, I mean no bad brother

Would not 90% of your turbo cutomers be street driven guys looking for their super responsive "holy grail" turbo that passes for near stock appearance, like I see repeatedly in threads including yours ( me included )?

You do sensational research and track cars have to a degree, unlimited mods to achieve their attainable power, but, seriously if your going to punch out dyno figures that are up there, why not also run them with a sytem that has half a chance being legal. Sure your kw at wheels will be lower but then isnt that more real life mate?

This is a public forum , I do not encourage any members breaking laws.  on same time none results compared against appears road legal either.

Must remember a engine system makes power depending on the amount of air it can flow. If any components within is maxed then no more power could be made. one of reasons of why I buy cars and modifying them is to susing out the limitation of individual components and learn their rolls.

There are always two parts in my evaluations. One part that people overlook is vehicle modifications. Without a solid foundation results are meaningless and useless to any turbo developments. If any one following my FB, you will notice the time and frustration I've been through building testing beds before any official results.

I got what I've got. This is where problem comes in, and that Sexy looking R34.2 drained a 25 year old bones dry is a perfect example of nothing works the way they seemed. Car's been modded all over again, following diagnosing issues from worn and teared oem parts. That build is still in progress, A lot of money and frustration.

My results are based on a free flow engine system followed by a good turbo combination. Not I only made my mod list clear, I've putting extra efforts  proven comparative component data so people don't take detours. If my steps are followed there is no reasons of why my results can't be matched. After all my cars are bought pretty standard from average Johns on Carsales just like everyone else. 

Hey mate, as I said, I mean no bad to you and was never intending to put you in a defensive posture

Your dedication to research and development of our Nissans is highly admired and respected

Disregard my last post, I must not have explained myself well enough

All the best Tao ??

no no, nothing wrong with the inquiry, its probably something many other members had in mind. I'm covering areas people needs to know and expect before modding their cars, and in case of under performance, there is enough information to pin point the problem.   

• Like 1

Just for reference, I had a setup running a cat, 2x mufflers and 1x resonator that sounded quieter than 90% of the Skyline boats out there and it made more power than Tao's test rig. Not to mention ran the stock intake plenum, and a modified stock exhaust manifold. 

So yeah it all depends on your setup and tuner.

• Like 1

Tao what is your intercooler preference for a GTS25T please . I've search a little way back in this thread and you mentioned PWR .

I want to lose the Blitz return flow and I agree that inlet flow restrictions are an issue and seem to peg these cars at around 280ish RWKW even if most things are sort of right .

To recap I run the Blitz RF IC and 3076R 0.82 IW on std manifold , with Scotty fabbed intake tube . The exhaust is 3 1/2" from housing to behind cat which is an I can't remember 200 cell stainless one .

3" pipe with straight through mufflers x2 . Will look into Venom 100 cell if they are as good as it gets in a cat . Going to ID750s and fixing forked exhaust guides made a hell of a difference to the low down and idle mixture control , no obnoxious fumes at idle . Can just about get away with 100 cell I reckon . 

I do like the idea of the OE cast crossover pipe because I can keep the standard recirc valve . I think ultimately I can get away with non standard IC piping in the engine bay because after more than 10 years with this R33 I've never been asked roadside to "pop the lid" - ever . I guess I'm too old and and don't hoon so cops ignore me .

Please can you tell me the gun intercooler and pipework to run to not make flow or cooling an issue ever for 300 plus wheel wasps . Also I'm running 98 PULP rather than ethanol these days so need every cooling advantage I can get to run acceptable ignition timing . Every Skyline out there is seemingly an IC with a car bolted to it and it doesn't seem to make them cop bait around here . So , money aside , what do you think rocks - PWR Plazmaman ? Looking for a result not a bargain .   

Edited by discopotato03

1 hour ago, Manuel Kasko said:

I got recommended Plazmaman by both Tao and Jez, I think they sell for between $800-$1100 from what I can tell. 

and I can give you kids better deals :)

Also for budget conscious consumers, the new HDi GT2 cores are not that bad either.. "lowish" intake temps.. I recorded only 45 degrees on a S15 with 1.5bar of boost going into it on the dyno at full noise with the IAT mounted near where the FMIC pipe work goes into the battery tray.

12 hours ago, vxsr33 said:

How much boost are you running for that amount of power? On 98

I just had a look at the dyno sheet - Looks like 18PSI tapering down to 16PSI which seems to hold 18PSI consistently since changing the actuator.