SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

39 minutes ago, blah_blah said:

This is my return flow setup:

10929096_1009459115735114_79092875403676

In saying that i will be going to a custom piping setup in the next month. Just to make it cleaner less pipes and to fit a 4inch pod

Mmmm that looks awesome! Have you got any more pics?  

50 minutes ago, kingtube69 said:

Mmmm that looks awesome! Have you got any more pics?  

Only pics i got:

1939497_1009458549068504_274021022972297

10559751_1021991617815197_81149067125310

If anyone is interested i might sell my existing cooler pipe setup if i dont need it after my custom one

14 hours ago, blah_blah said:

If anyone is interested i might sell my existing cooler pipe setup if i dont need it after my custom one

My R32 has the same cooler kit, It was abnormally laggy, and I tried doing:

cooler.jpg

might be worth while give it a short and see if there is much differences in throttle response. Mine was huge. 

Well I'd expect a huge difference in throttle response with no intercooler too!

So a water to air cooler, aka celica gt4 style which keeps the inlet tract super short might have some benefit for rb20 tragics? haha.

How is the research with the RB20 going?

haha the RB20det is probably the most troublesome, in past cases I just need to bolt up the bits, sort out the ecu and its good. But in this case I had to diagnose and fix heaps of worn OEM pieces that I didn't expect, plus mods fitted by previous owners didn't work as they seems. Still fixing and setting up test bed at current stage.

• Like 1

The return flow setup shown on top of the page,is the same setup

Vl turbos where running in the 90s and still some today.Core depending ..cant be to bad for flow as they run 9s on 30ish psi with autos and 3582s

Cant be to much pressure drop slowing them down..

Cheers

Darren

On 15/01/2017 at 10:37 PM, V28VX37 said:

I've had this small issue recently with my ATR43-SS2 (2013) where I occasionally find a drop of oil underneath the front housing. I have checked the water and oil lines and they are all fine and tight. I've also been conscious to wipe the housing clean each time in an effort to pinpoint where it's coming from.

I took the photo below just then, you can see a bit of oil collecting at the edge of the housing and right under one of the housing bolts. It also looks a little wet right around the bolt so I'm wondering if that's the cause? I chucked a 13mm socket in there and tightened it a touch (it turned easy enough) but didn't want to overdo it as I don't know the torque specs.

@hypergear Tao have you seen these turbos spring a leak there before? What's the torque specs on the housing bolts? Cheers

32201403301_8f8ede1f1a_b.jpg

Bill and I were wracking our brains at Sandown about this and we reckon it's actually the oil feed line on the top of the core, leaking under the fitting that connects the braided line to the core. That sprays oil onto the rear of the front housing, which then drips down to the comp cover as above. The fitting under the oil line in the top left corner below:

28664626573_0ec72d6ac6_z.jpg 

Apparently there's a copper washer under that fitting and it's important that it's annealed before installation (?).

Tao, any pointers on where I could get a replacement fitting and copper washer for this turbo (ATR43SS2 late 2013)?

Cheers

8 hours ago, V28VX37 said:

Bill and I were wracking our brains at Sandown about this and we reckon it's actually the oil feed line on the top of the core, leaking under the fitting that connects the braided line to the core. That sprays oil onto the rear of the front housing, which then drips down to the comp cover as above. The fitting under the oil line in the top left corner below:

Apparently there's a copper washer under that fitting and it's important that it's annealed before installation (?).

Tao, any pointers on where I could get a replacement fitting and copper washer for this turbo (ATR43SS2 late 2013)?

Cheers

I don't think the fitting would require replacement, just the copper washer.  Autobarn should carry them, if not try a pirtek or similar. Annealing definitely helps as it allows the washer to be crushed nicely and provide a good seal imo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, V28VX37 said:

Cheers

Yeah I have also noticed that every few events it would start leaking and the washer needs to be replaced, at first I had a alloy fitting and the fitting also needed to be replaced as it must of been deformed from the heat now using a steel fitting seems only the washers die.

• Like 1

its just a 12mm copper washer you can get them form Auto spare shops normally hanging on a wall pack. the drain adaptor gasket is to suit OEM drain pipe, cheapest place to get that is Ebay or simply cut one out of gasket paper. No silicon glue on either of the fittings. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...