SAU Community

My Bolt On Engine Upgrade Thread: R34 Gtr

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your excel graph is very interesting and exactly what I would have done.

But it does point out one thing to me: equal boost for boost, 2860-5s seems

a toss up when you lose mid range and don't get more than you lost

back on top. In other words, losing 30kw at 4000rpm and gaining 30kw at 8000

rpm doesn't seem like a fair trade to me (figures are just guesses). If someone

can give me +30kw, I'd ask for it at 4000rpm, not 8000rpm..

Of course if you ran higher boost then you would still lose the same at 4000, but gain

twice what you lost, up top.. That is where the larger turbo really stretches its legs.

Edited by moneypit

Very nice results bakes!! must feel as great as it looks.

You wouldnt happen to know what the intake temps are using the -5's do you? would they be lower than the -7's cos im sure they would have to work hard displacing air to make the 300kw atw where the -5's are doing it with less strain on the turbos and engine.

Your excel graph is very interesting and exactly what I would have done.

But it does point out one thing to me: equal boost for boost, 2860-5s seems

a toss up when you lose mid range and don't get more than you lost

back on top. In other words, losing 30kw at 4000rpm and gaining 30kw at 8000

rpm doesn't seem like a fair trade to me (figures are just guesses). If someone

can give me +30kw, I'd ask for it at 4000rpm, not 8000rpm..

Of course if you ran higher boost then you would still lose the same at 4000, but gain

twice what you lost, up top.. That is where the larger turbo really stretches its legs.

Yep valid point at the same boost level as stock. At a bit more boost its definately a different story as you mentioned and as seen in my graph.

Im sure I could actually run a bit more boost and make more top end again but its all good...............for now. lol

The loss in response is barely noticeable to me. Im no pro driver.

Very nice results bakes!! must feel as great as it looks.

You wouldnt happen to know what the intake temps are using the -5's do you? would they be lower than the -7's cos im sure they would have to work hard displacing air to make the 300kw atw where the -5's are doing it with less strain on the turbos and engine.

Are you referring to general intake temps Johnny?

If Yes, I cant see any difference, not running hotter than stock.

Are you referring to general intake temps Johnny?

If Yes, I cant see any difference, not running hotter than stock.

Umm i would say im thinking of the temps after the intercooler before the plenum; the sensor displayed on a power fc controller.

Im curious cos i remember you chose the -5 cos you wanted power to come without stressing the turbos to the max (less boost and cooler intake temps) Jst wanna know how they compare to stock or the -7's

cheers mate.....how bout that top end :laugh:

Umm i would say im thinking of the temps after the intercooler before the plenum; the sensor displayed on a power fc controller.

Im curious cos i remember you chose the -5 cos you wanted power to come without stressing the turbos to the max (less boost and cooler intake temps) Jst wanna know how they compare to stock or the -7's

cheers mate.....how bout that top end :thumbsup:

Sorry man, I didnt think you would be after what I said :laugh: My bad!

Cant answer it mate, I dont have a sensor display. Top end is great, just keeps pulling.

of all people i thought you would know this dude... unless you use a hub dyno.. the size of the wheels and friction properties of the tyres will affect the power output on any particular dyno.. high reading or low reading.. his volks have a rolling diameter of 675mm while the original gtr wheels are 654mm, so the original wheels will give a higher speed reading and slightly higher power reading. the big wheels will give a higher torque reading and less speed.. it doesnt matter anyway as the dyno was just used to tune it.. scott @ insight said it has got more to offer and its a very safe tune for day to day driving.. and its been tuned for maximum low down response... not top top end power.

regardless of power readings and dynos and crap thats gone on and what anyone thinks.. this car now hauls. it has fantastic driveablity, excellent fuel economy, and power to boot.. for the amount of punting bakes does.. the money has been spent, the parts are fitted, and the result at the end are what matters, it should keep him happy for a while..

simon, if your not content with anything about bakes gtr, feel free to line your r31 up anytime you like (or your mates mp3 player) .. until then.. let him enjoy his car stop worrying about what you could have done for him..

:laugh:

Lint it doesn't matter what i no or think, You should not be so quick to assume that my question was an attack on Bakes (i'm sorry if anyone else saw it that way)

I asked the question for no other reason then to see what people's understanding of his comment about the wheels was - nothing more then that.

As for "what i could of done for him" when we were speaking on the phone last week i believe my offer was more so to help YOU in regards to helping Bakes get the A/C sorted etc before it went to Sydney, and yes i would have done a couple of things another way, as would've you as you had the same thoughts about the mods as i did ! But its not my car and not my call.

Anyway Bakes I'm glad its all sorted out for you and doing what you wanted it to.

Sorry guys for the crap

no attack dude... its all good... im not assuming you were attacking.. i just didnt expect that question from you, regardless of if you wanted to see other peoples responses to it.. you know dynos are a worthless.. big wheels or not.. i was just clearing it up for those people whom the question was aimed at.

all i remember from our chat last week is alot of talk about the mines gtr.. we got the a/c sorted, that wasnt a drama, it was just a matter of re-fitting the parts someone took out.

the last bit was just a bit of fun.. bakes gave it a short stab on the cruise on sunday and scared us both.. it has more than enough power for the street without sacrificing drivabilty.

cheers mate

Car made 400HP at 4 wheels but was pulled back a bit on final tune to keep everything nice and safe (stock motor) Not running crazy boost either. (only ~1.2/1.3 Bar)

The tune is fantastic, runs so smooth. Tuned for cold start also, Im very happy with it. Ive found no need to give it more than 70% throttle yet either, she goes pretty good :P

Here is my performance mod list:

* HKS Front pipe, HKS rear pipe with Hi Power Muffler, Hi flow cat

* Garrett 2860R-5 Turbos

* HKS SPL full piping kit with HKS super power flow pods

* Nismo Fuel Pump

* Turbosmart fuel regulator with pressure gauge

* Hypertune Billet fuel rail

* Siemens 610cc Injectors

* OS Giken Cam gears

* Nismo twin plate clutch

* Vipec V44 ECU

* Tech Edge Wideband AFR controller

* HKS EVC6

Tune results at different boost settings on Insight Motorsports Dyno, ALL WHEEL HORSEPOWER: (19 inch volks on)

img1476aaa.jpg

Now for those interested I had some fun with excel to compare my results from where my car was stock except for exhaust to where the car is now:

Notes: Above dyno graph is in All Wheel Hosepower, the graph below I made is in All Wheel Kw

: Blue line was done on IS Motor Racing Dyno with stock wheels/tyres

: Yellow and red lines are on Insight Motorsports Dyno with 19 inch wheels

stockturbosvs5turbosdyn.jpg

My biggest loss in response is ~ the 100Kw mark with a loss of ~550/600 RPM. The -5s catch up ~ the 4400 RPM mark

Would be interesting to do another power run now on the IS Motor Racing Dyno.

Impressive dyno graph there Bakes!

AWD kW's!

Damn you tuff car.

Congrats on your work Bakes, more from an informative point of view as I'm sure a lot of people have been waiting on your results to form the basis of there own in devours.

:thumbsup:

Would be interesting to do another power run now on the IS Motor Racing Dyno.

Nice setup Bakes saw at the Cruise on the weekend. Realy nice setup.

So wen will you take your car to Indy (IS Motor Racing)? Are you just going to be doing a dyno run?

Congrats on your work Bakes, more from an informative point of view as I'm sure a lot of people have been waiting on your results to form the basis of there own in devours.

:/

Cheers mate. Hopefully the thread helps others out as you mentioned.

Nice setup Bakes saw at the Cruise on the weekend. Realy nice setup.

So wen will you take your car to Indy (IS Motor Racing)? Are you just going to be doing a dyno run?

Yeah mate, would just be a power run. I might go to the next dyno day at one of the Sydney dynos next time SAU has a day on. Just for curiosity reasons to see how much variation is out there (higher and lower). Would be a fair bit I would think.

• 1 month later...
Sorry man, I didnt think you would be after what I said :P My bad!

Cant answer it mate, I dont have a sensor display. Top end is great, just keeps pulling.

Does this mean the HUD stops working with the Vi-Pec or am I confusing INT Temp with Intercooler temp, not Intake temp.