SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

Nope. And they are HID. But I never tow at night unless the car is on the prime mover

3 people and all your spares for 2 days racing doesn't help either I don't think. The damn car isn't that heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

So you're saying you're left with a car with an absolute max weight of 1,400KG...

Not a lot of wiggle room if you need to carry tyres, fuel, or much else.

Plus it has a max tow ball weight of 100KG... So at max trailer weight you don't get near the 10% towball weight... That'll make that trailer so nice and easy to tow... Not...

Plus a kerb weight of 1716KG, add your 100KG tow ball weight on and you've only got 400KG of in car weight you can carry before you're over your GVM... So put two adults in at say 80KG each, you now have 240KG of in cabin weight you can add... Not a lot of room weight wise for tool boxes, fluids, the tyres and fuel that really can't go in the trailer as it'll end up over weight soon...

Personally I'd stick to something with better specs.

Balls :) 

All I'm suggesting indirectly is that for some people a current mid size SUV might do the job for them. I find that the Cherokee, not a Grand Cherokee, tows like a champ. Much more stable and comfortable than the Triton based diesel Challenger I used to have and which was rated at around 3,000kg towing capacity. 

Another medium sized SUV towing contender, Renault Koloes rated at 2,000kg but beware of the 2.5litre petrol and CVT transmission. Still, it may suit some who primarily need a family hack.

Yes, CTV would not be my choice for towing but given the tow rating I guess it would handle it.

Basically though there are medium sized SUV's out there that tow very well. My 2015 Cherokee has a Sport mode for the auto which engages all wheel drive and stability control on the fly. In my experience it's a nicer tow car than a lot of the old school 4WD's out there.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...