SAU Community

Ethanol Availability

The fuel stations have been so slow with the E85 rollout and it sounds like the Caltex version that is coming out won't even have a fixed ethanol percentage so I was looking at other options. Is it possible to buy bulk quantities of ethanol to mix up your own?

Haha, youre joking right? Pissheads have ruined it for us...

The Caltex blends will change slightly but nothing that cant be tuned around, just run the winter blend a little rich. It will only change once a year. Once you convert you will be glad for the E70 cold start benefits.

Caltex have been doing pretty well and plan to have 100 servos with Eflex in less than a year. Thats a lot better than the LPG rollout was and not taking into account any other brands that may jump on the green bandwagon.

And with Mobil closing down many servos in the near future and independents taking over many of their old stores i feel it will be a case of all we have to do is ask as these old servos get revamped and new pumps put in etc....it wont take long...

the new series 2 commodore is capable of running up to E85 ethanol blend and i dare say that ford will follow suit with the falcon, so once you see more of these cars on the road then you will see more ethanol blend fuels around the place.

the new series 2 commodore is capable of running up to E85 ethanol blend and i dare say that ford will follow suit with the falcon, so once you see more of these cars on the road then you will see more ethanol blend fuels around the place.

+1

I think they call it flexifuel or something like that don't they ?

I think it would be interesting to see how the major manufacturers react to the widespread availability of E85 in terms of their engineering decisions with mapping and performance targets etc ?

And with Mobil closing down many servos in the near future and independents taking over many of their old stores i feel it will be a case of all we have to do is ask as these old servos get revamped and new pumps put in etc....it wont take long...

??? Mobil is closing down???

??? Mobil is closing down???

No, not entirely but they have sold ,or are selling alot of stores.. , caltex were buying over 300 of them but that plan was scrapped,now im reading 7-eleven are buying them, but im not certain whats going on atm, but i know a few already that have sold

Edited by Arthur T3

so if its not going to be one percentage each time you get it how will that effect those who have tuned their car to run on say e85, i guess the correction maps will take care of small changes or will it just be %70 ethanol all the time?

It will change slowly throughout the year from e70 to e85, depending on the season. Not an issue if you tune for e85, just runs a bit rich in winter which helps with the cold starts.

2 maps would be a good option but you would have to run a wideband or ethanol content gauge to tell you they have changed. I think there will be aftermarket ecu support for Flex fuel sensors soon which would be the best way of mapping.

YOU KEEP THE TUNE VERY SOFT. you should only be leaning on the tune if you are buying the stuff drummed with data sheets.

so if its not going to be one percentage each time you get it how will that effect those who have tuned their car to run on say e85, i guess the correction maps will take care of small changes or will it just be %70 ethanol all the time?

Platinum Racing Parts, E85 mix with premium unleaded, E85 with 106 race fuel mix, E90 with premium and 106 race fuel and E100, in 20L 60L and 200L.

I just bought 200L of E90 which with 106 racefuel mix gives you 117 ocane and 30% oxygen.

:P

• 3 weeks later...
Platinum Racing Parts, E85 mix with premium unleaded, E85 with 106 race fuel mix, E90 with premium and 106 race fuel and E100, in 20L 60L and 200L.

I just bought 200L of E90 which with 106 racefuel mix gives you 117 ocane and 30% oxygen.

:P

Do they have online store? Link?

No, not entirely but they have sold ,or are selling alot of stores.. , caltex were buying over 300 of them but that plan was scrapped,now im reading 7-eleven are buying them, but im not certain whats going on atm, but i know a few already that have sold

Out this way all the Mobil SS's have changed over to Caltex, all we have is Shell and Caltex and a few BP scattered around the place.

In the town I live in, we used to have 7 fuel outlets [shell, Mobil, BP, Ampol, Caltex and an Esso]. A decade later and we have three, two Caltex and a Shell.

And no choice really, they are all selling the same range and type.

I'd say that E85 will be here in another 10-20 years :), it will be at least 5 years though, lucky I've got WMI and don't really care.

they have new website www.platinumracingproducts.com but i still think it redirect's you to their distributors websites. i buy my fuel through envy dyno. experimenting with E90 at the moment.