SAU Community

Na P-Plate Cars

yeah but if u mildly mod the supra aswell, supra would win, in standard form the supra wins against the magna anyways, magna 0-100 is 7 seconds, supra is low 6's

and as for evidence, i have none, haha but im pretty sure the MarkIV was sold here, coz in the description of heaps of cars that are for sale it says "Australian Delivered" does this mean it was sold here brand new? and not imported later? im not really sure..

Both those cars are pretty girly.. haha but your probaly right, i just cant think of any other cars, apart from the ones uve said and the honda s2000 unless u go FWD with a honda vtec... those are pretty fast and look decent enough..

actually the official time for the supra was around 6.8 seconds, so there is bugger all in it. the times are close enough that whoever is the better driver (or whoever has better quality tyres) will win. rolling start i'd say the magna would win because being fwd they are harder to get off the line.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok 2 things, a v8 soarer isn't a fast NA car (a v6 or v8 commodore will be faster). secondly, you can't drive a v8 on your P's.

Sorry i'm from New Zealand where we can drive whatever we want on our equivilant of P's. I had a v8 soarer de-cat with custom exhaust and K&N panel filter and it was definately a fast car. Faster than my Rb20det R32 coupe was, in fact faster than most stock turbo imports around. In that case, i can vouch for the Autech s15 as i have driven one of them a lot (flatmates car), also i have had a R33 NA which was awfully slow in comparison. Another fast NA ca is the Alfa 156 with the 2.5 V6 engine in manual,they are cheap as chips (over here anyway)and go hard.

the soarer must've had some other work done to it because the stock 1/4 mile times of them are low to mid 16's. stock r32 gts-t should do it in just under 15 seconds. an exhaust and air filter won't get you that much more power. if it had had a manual conversion as well then that would help a bit, but v8 soarers aren't that powerful and weigh a lot (about 1800kg).

Get a latest gen VTi-R Prelude. It's the perfect P platers car. Still good looking, light, economical, reliable, sporty feel. They handle reasonably well and will break into the 6's for a 0-100 when driven well + the basic N/A mods. Ignore the FWD stigma bullshit - if you think people are going to laugh at you for that, they're going to laugh at you more for drag racing in a slow P plater car regardless of what drivetrain configuration you have. And drifting in a P plater legal car is fail anyway.

Keep in mind some states have laws against P platers having ANY modifications to their cars, so it kind of defeats the point of going legit with a non-turbo car if you have plans to modify a Supra etc.

Most people on the road cannot drive a manual for shit, let alone drag with it. If you're playing traffic light heroes, an automatic 0-100 in 8 second car will beat 90% of the people driving manual 0-100 in 7 second cars. There's no such thing as a bad launch or a sloppy gear change.

Oh yeah, bloody P platers.

another quick car that you wont fins may people going around in is the Ralliart Magna. FWD I know but very limited production and had great proformance stock. recaro seats and a decent sports exhaust stock from memory around 11k to buy. looks really tough IMO and the cops should leave you be as its a magna.

something I would look at if you wanna test what vic roads will give an exemption to would be the HSV XU6. needs an exemtion for the supercharger but it does fit within their definition of a family car and has a power to weight ratio of just under 125KW.

Get a latest gen VTi-R Prelude. It's the perfect P platers car. Still good looking, light, economical, reliable, sporty feel. They handle reasonably well and will break into the 6's for a 0-100 when driven well + the basic N/A mods. Ignore the FWD stigma bullshit - if you think people are going to laugh at you for that, they're going to laugh at you more for drag racing in a slow P plater car regardless of what drivetrain configuration you have.

Keep in mind some states have laws against P platers having ANY modifications to their cars, so it kind of defeats the point of going legit with a non-turbo car if you have plans to modify a Supra etc.

Most people on the road cannot drive a manual for shit, let alone drag with it. If you're playing traffic light heroes, an automatic 0-100 in 8 second car will beat 90% of the people driving manual 0-100 in 7 second cars. There's no such thing as a bad launch or a sloppy gear change.

Birds - Please try not to group all P platers together some we are not all the same.

As for Mods I agree. why worry about whether the car is turbo or not when any mod is illegal. exhaust mod only or a rb26dett the law sees it as the same "high performance" car. sure the cops may forgive an exhaust mod but will your insurance company do the same if you wrap it around a tree. remember part of your insurance agreement is that you must be legally allowed to drive the car.

Can't go wrong with an NA Supra. Bang for your buck they're probably the best P plate car going around. RWD, manual, good looking (although thats purely opinion) and they sit right under 125kw per ton, so you're not going to get much faster legally. Add to the fact that the 2JZ can handle 500rwkw on stock internals, you'll never have trouble in NA form, just get a compression test first. If you can afford the SZ-R even better, the gearbox is as strong as the engine, has an LSD and 4/2pot brakes. Plus its very easy to turbo once you're off your Ps.

Downside is the backseats are non existent, you can't fit a decent sub in the boot, the interior looks VERY dated and its not as great on fuel as some of the others cars mentioned.

I've owned mine for nearly two years and apart from the paint I love the car. Not the most powerful car on the road, but more than enough to get out there and learn to drive it.

Birds - Please try not to group all P platers together some we are not all the same.

It was a joke mate, you'll say the same thing when you're off your Ps.

Get a latest gen VTi-R Prelude. It's the perfect P platers car. Still good looking, light, economical, reliable, sporty feel. They handle reasonably well and will break into the 6's for a 0-100 when driven well + the basic N/A mods. Ignore the FWD stigma bullshit - if you think people are going to laugh at you for that, they're going to laugh at you more for drag racing in a slow P plater car regardless of what drivetrain configuration you have. And drifting in a P plater legal car is fail anyway.

pretty much spot on. in an auto you just sit there with your left foot hard on the brake, right foot on the accelerator stalling it up to the point just before it starts to move. light goes green, foot off the brake, accelerator to the floor and you will out in front against most manuals, which then makes them panic a bit more and makes them more likely to miss a gear, etc.

pretty much spot on. in an auto you just sit there with your left foot hard on the brake, right foot on the accelerator stalling it up to the point just before it starts to move. light goes green, foot off the brake, accelerator to the floor and you will out in front against most manuals, which then makes them panic a bit more and makes them more likely to miss a gear, etc.

I don't know much about autos, but surely this is really bad for the car.

Both those cars are pretty girly.. haha but your probaly right, i just cant think of any other cars, apart from the ones uve said and the honda s2000 unless u go FWD with a honda vtec... those are pretty fast and look decent enough..

You didn't mean the V35 looks girly, did you? :P

sorry dont like the look of the prelude.. sorry just taste, but your probs right about the autos.. considering that, maybe an aero top supra in auto would be worth a look at, as na only came in auto.. and only engine mods are illegal, so exhaust, suspension and air intake(dunno if thats classified as engine..) should be alright to mod..

Can't go wrong with an NA Supra. Bang for your buck they're probably the best P plate car going around. RWD, manual, good looking (although thats purely opinion) and they sit right under 125kw per ton, so you're not going to get much faster legally. Add to the fact that the 2JZ can handle 500rwkw on stock internals, you'll never have trouble in NA form, just get a compression test first. If you can afford the SZ-R even better, the gearbox is as strong as the engine, has an LSD and 4/2pot brakes. Plus its very easy to turbo once you're off your Ps.

Downside is the backseats are non existent, you can't fit a decent sub in the boot, the interior looks VERY dated and its not as great on fuel as some of the others cars mentioned.

I've owned mine for nearly two years and apart from the paint I love the car. Not the most powerful car on the road, but more than enough to get out there and learn to drive it.

im really thinking about getting a supra, id have to agree that they are probs the best p plate car.. an aero top auto or a normal one in manual tho ?

You didn't mean the V35 looks girly, did you? :P

ofcourse not.. haha

im really thinking about getting a supra, id have to agree that they are probs the best p plate car.. an aero top auto or a normal one in manual tho ?

What do you want from it? A comfortable cruiser, or something you can learn to drive in?

It was a joke mate, you'll say the same thing when you're off your Ps.

its ok i got that it was a joke. i already use it when i see p platers trying to race at lights or driving modified v8s and turbos. but as somebody trying to follow the law it does get tough

Life is full of stereotypes mate, you just need to get used to being painted with the same brush and take it with a grain of salt, because that's one part of human nature that will never be wiped put.

Kez, what allows you to do that in an auto is the torque converter...the fluid inside acts as a type of clutch, allowing the engine to keep rotating but with the car being held still by the brakes...it has a threshold, which is why you can release the brake and the car will move by itself with no throttle. Stalling it up, as Marc described, is the equivalent of launching in a manual with a clutch...you build up the revs for a faster launch, but you need to hold the brakes down hard so the car doesn't move while you're building up engine speed. Doing this alot will eventually wear out your torque converter, but a couple thousand rpm doesn't do a great deal of harm. Some torque converters in auto drag cars have such a high threshold that you can stall it up to 4500rpm+

OP, intake and exhaust are engine mods. Not sure how enforced it is, but they are certainly part of the engine :)

i wouldnt bother with a 'line or supra or silvia on my P's. i'd just sell it when i got of my P's and buy a 34 gtt or 32/33 gtr. the only thing NA imports have going for them is the resale price cause it seems that every second kid wants one. if your after speed (why?), you'd be better of with, if moneys is abundant, an aurion or xr6 like someone else said.

but since your pretty keen on a supra, dont do this to it. http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=9401453&__Qpb=true&Cr=2&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal%7C0%7C%7CpCar_RankSort_Int32%7C1%7C%7CpCar_Make_String%7C0%7C%7CpCar_Model_String%7C0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294962861%204294962110&silo=1011&__No=15&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=291&__sid=12C6A69D372A (cut and copied from the lulz thread)

Okay, lots of shit advice in here so I'm going to add to that with my 2c.

If you have a 20k budget, I'd be in a S2k in a flash. 2L NA manual vert that does 270kmh stock is pretty bloody impressive. (Not that you should test that out..)

As for the more realistic cars, NA skylines are boring as batshit, not to mention slowww!

Autech S15 DE = Waste of money like skyline NAs imo. (So expensive too)

I'm a fan of 300ZXs but I know most here aren't... Still going to leave this here: Clicky Me 170rwhp stock is a pretty decent effort... Plus targa = girls ;)

Supras. I do like them and the manual NAs go hard for what they are. You could get an aero top auto, then convert it to manual, especially with the budget you've got, maybe twin turbo swap down the track after Ps.

E36 BMWs are nice, just got to get one thats been looked after. I had no troubles with my old E36 M3. Off the shelf TT & SC kits are available...

If you have some old school taste, you could go for something like this: Click link

Or cause your budget is so big, you could get one of these: Click linky

Those are all the good RWD suggestions really...

Edited by Ten Four