SAU Community

300Kw Unopened 25 Club...

Yeah sorry, bad question.... I wouldnt have been blaming anyone for a failure for the exact reason WMDC35 mentions..... Ill stay quiet now until i have a Dyno sheet of my own so i can join this thread properly :rolleyes:

Soon mate. Hows ur car coming along? No rush aye. Just add to the 2 yrs hahaha :P

Soon mate. Hows ur car coming along? No rush aye. Just add to the 2 yrs hahaha :P

Wise guy eh? :dry:

Haha it was coming along well man, they have been busy... I was told Adam was in on Saturday still doing wiring so it must be a huge job..... Will get updates soon! And HOPEFULLY a dyno result too!

Just about 200k on the clock, using a vipec pnp ecu with addon air temp sensor and 5bar map. Redline at 7800. As already said won't name the tuner and I don't blame them at all, it was never going to hold together. When its out at the track it gets limiter bashed all day and hasn't ever had an easy life since I've owned it.

Just as a note the tune was spot on, running 12 all the time.

Just about 200k on the clock, using a vipec pnp ecu with addon air temp sensor and 5bar map. Redline at 7800. As already said won't name the tuner and I don't blame them at all, it was never going to hold together. When its out at the track it gets limiter bashed all day and hasn't ever had an easy life since I've owned it.

Yeah sorry mate, bad question on my behalf... What i really wanted to know was the KM as i thought it would also be relevent to the thread as the time (as in years) doesnt reflect the amount of KM travelled etc..... Still, thats an impressive effort.... Cheers for the info! :yes:

12:1 afr for a track car? that personally would have made me nervous, cracked ring land screams det as well, probably fine for a few minutes at full noise, but with track temps and heatsoak it might not have been enough leg room.

Could have been something else, rev limiter action or who knows but if you replace the motor it I'd definitely drop it down for the track, be nice to get a temp gauge and see what sort of temps it is seeing but sometimes it is just easier to guess and err on the safe side.

Edited by Rolls

12:1 afr for a track car? that personally would have made me nervous, cracked ring land screams det as well, probably fine for a few minutes at full noise, but with track temps and heatsoak it might not have been enough leg room.

Was wondering this myself; was it determined what caused the failure? Detonation or excessive cylinder pressures?

Vehicle has always been 11-12's and never had any issues at all even on a 35deg day at the track. No signs of detonation on any cylinders. My guess is just too much limiter bashing. I run data logging for knock sensors and a couple of other sensors, none of which showed anything abnormal from when it occured.

Edit- btw when I say track its used for drift so you don't see the same sort of heat soak as circuit really.

Edited by ltcree

What temperatures did you log it getting to? it is pretty hard to hear knock over the mechanical noise, are you using the stock knock sensors or aftermarket? I wouldn't trust the stock gear to pick up anything over 5000 rpm, apparently nissan disables them over this rpm range anyway as they just pick up too much noise.

Edited by Rolls

Yeah you'd never hear the detonation, especially with an external gate and screamer. Using the knock amplifier kit, which from memory uses Bosch knock sensors.

As for temps, just looking at the log, my peak coolant temp was 94, oil was 91, air temps around the 40 mark.

EOTD getting 2 years out of a motor that costs less than 2k, getting limiter bashed at nearly 8k pushing out 300+rwkw is pretty farken good.

really makes a good argument for not bothering to build a motor unless you are going for well over 350

that and the nissan seal of approval is often better than that of a lot of engine builders around the country.

EOTD getting 2 years out of a motor that costs less than 2k, getting limiter bashed at nearly 8k pushing out 300+rwkw is pretty farken good.

really makes a good argument for not bothering to build a motor unless you are going for well over 350

Yep amazing what there capable of when you actually think about it approaching 16-19 year old motors and pumping out double power at limiter continuously. Mines going 315kw for 2 years track car now heavy revs and sounds perfect, amazes me everytime it gets through another track day.

Definately has made me lean towards option of just chucking another 2nd hand one in when it finaly does blow.

I don't get on here much any more, work is a bitch - and never ever buy property and then build!!!! You'll have no life if you do, I can gaurantee that.

Mods: s2r33, 3076, Hks external gate, poncams, 550's, HKS cast manifold, PFC, FMIC, SP III, and all that other stuff

Fuel: anything 95 or better + WMI

Power: 301rwkw @ 17psi

Useage: parked in driveway for last 5 months, hasn't moved

Lifespan: means nothing, I've only put 5,000km on it in the last 12 months and I did that in two trips [Coffs and Mt Gambier].

Failure: Don't get to drive it enough, too damn busy

Dyno and other stuff, see it here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/306109-my-wmi-install/page__st__20