SAU Community

2013 V8 Supercar Series

Whiplash

COTF shares an almost identical weight distribution to previous cars.

The old diffs were heavy and by the time you added drive shafts, spool center, crown wheel and pinion, diff bracing, watts link , bearing carriers, brakes etc to them the weight crept up.

The tank was also behind the rear axle. A full fuel safe sprint cell with swirl pot reserve and pumps was around 130kg.

The new transaxle is lighter than the fuel system and diff of old combined.

The COTF fuel tank is slightly heavier than the Hollinger which was In roughly the same position (further forward obviously but I between the axle none the less)

The chassis are not that dissimilar in terms of torsional rigidity and behaviour.

Regardless of what people think the floor pans of last years car right back to VX have very little incommon with the road car.

Are the DVS cars still a relivent stepping stone to the main game with the new cars? I notice Luff and Purcat are in Porsche Cup this year, and I remember Skaife saying this years cars drove more like Porsche Cup cars

Yes still relevant - but obviously not as much as last year. The COTF is, fundamentally, a different beast to setup & drive than last years cars. One result will be that the co-driver/internationals (if they are going to the Gold Coast this year) wont suck as much in comparison to the regulars as the cars are

A: Easier to drive

B: More like other categories in the way they drive.

It is for GTR and skyline owners.

I've owned over 15 of them in 10 years.......

When I locked up tonight there was 14 cars in my workshop, 8 of them are Skylines, 7 of those are seriously high end preped Motorsport cars.

But how many could do 1000 racing Kms around bathurst? The engineering on Gibsons cars was amazing. It may be old now, but doesnt make it bad. Group a also gave some creative interpretation of rules, which was interesting, and something you don't get in the current series, for better or worse.

You can still see the grp a cars, and get closer than you ever would have been able to for the fans. Go to http://www.heritagetouringcars.com.au/

On topic, I really looking forward to seeing the v8s this weekend. Hopefully the new marques can improve, and the Mercs have a more consistent meet.

Honestly there is 3 I'd send up there as is and one more that would be close.

There is harder places on the tour than Bathurst. Clipsal was one of them. Chaos canyon on surfers is obviously another.

What GMS did with the GTR will always be admired. They took a nugget of a car and made it great, no doubt.

I'm betting there will be a win this year for Scotty mcglauclan. GRM have a pair of good cars this year and Scott has a lot of COTF miles. On one of his better known circuits I think he will come out on top.

quiet thread is quiet.

Couple of good races today, looks like some of the nissans are set up really soft in the front end- searching for fnt end grip maybe?

What happened to the Merc? Did it pop an engine today? I saw lots of smoke on the screen, I did wonder if he over rev'd it coming into T1, because it did sound tough right before the smoke poured out.

Was right about him getting a win but so early was surprising.

Even though 6 faster cars were relegated to the back helped his cause its good to see.

Hopefully he'll back it up. Great for Rodgers to finally get a win on the board too. Caruso was a bit of a flop and captain crash spent more time running into things than racing.

So what was the go?

I heard that they got excluded because of ignition timing irregularity. Did they reduce timing to get better drive in the wet? Or was it something else?

From what I understand ECU base timing was 7 or 8 deg and the crank sensor had been adjusted to give the 6 deg required base timing.

Timing light would have displayed 6 deg which is why there was no performace gains but the ecu has its trigger angles locked and they had 7 or something as base.

Chances are the engines have all been like this since they left the engine shop (they all use the same engine shop bare the Kelly's) Kelly's engines may have been at the same shop prior to Melbourne though.

There would have been no data available to V8 supercars from previous rounds so they could only infringe the last race.

When I installed the KRE built aurora engine in my VY we used a timing light and adjusted the crack sensor to get 6degrees base. Never even looked at what the ecu had as base.

There is actually very little you can do with the controlled ECU as far as ignition mapping goes. You have maximum timing numbers and the engines take those numbers very very easily. So its a case of throttle open maximum allowed timing and trim the fuel to suit done.

What is the go with Moffat? Is he lucked upon some good results or is the guy actually reasonably talented and starting to find some form?

I can't stand Moffat.

There is something about the guy that irritates me. He has had some shining moments for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

probably cause he'd be serving big macs if he had a different last name

Give him a break. Its not like his old man is bung full of charisma. Or that the rest of the field isnt the son of someone famous/rich.

• 3 weeks later...

some very good racing this weekend. certainly showed why it deserves it's place at the top of australian motorsport. plenty of close racing, with a bit of panel rubbing. as far as viewing goes, it really does make f1 look pretty boring, where the cars being within a few metres of each other only really happens on behind a safety car

• 1 month later...

120L of fuel in the cell. I know the aurora engines the fast holden teams have use on average .9L/km. Kelly's claim they having fuel consumption issues so wouldn't surprise me if they are using 1.2L/km. plus the formation lap would have them out of fuel buy the end.