SAU Community

2013 V8 Supercar Series

Whiplash

Only short term runs in more open circuits, was very hot at the track with >30C, and out in the concrete jungle the heat radiates

Engine 10cm closer to the firewall under the new COTF and appears to just be an over site on cabin temps, guess the spaceframe chassis provides less protection than the chassis of old.

The Merc's weren't expecting to win, minimal testing due to brake failures.

COTF are all new car, Nissan and Merc need to get their head around the COTF parts and engine, holden and ford just the COTF parts as they have proven engines for the last 20 years.

Kind of scary to see how easily the cars peel back when in a crash / hit curbs, sunday qualifying had a great example, super slow mo of HRT hitting the chicane and all the pans separating from the car.

I think they said the longest runs were around 20 laps but don't quote me on that. Also street circuits have an affect on heat. Although the problem is isolated in the foot well there would still be a slight increase

Thats a shame about brake failures.

Just bad luck I guess, since the brakes and pedal boxes are control. Unless you didn't have enough air ducting. Any teams running water cooling, or has that gone with cotf?

Thats a shame about brake failures.

Just bad luck I guess, since the brakes and pedal boxes are control. Unless you didn't have enough air ducting. Any teams running water cooling, or has that gone with cotf?

didn't take any photo's yesterday but we had extra air tubes ect connected to the mirrors going down to the fot well, but i think the damage was done on saturday to everyones feet, check out the pics on Tim Slade's FB page, that's from Saturday's race and he drove with that on the bottom of his foot yesterday

Edited by Whiplash

didn't take any photo's yesterday but we had extra air tubes ect connected to the mirrors going down to the fot well, but i think the damage was done on saturday to everyones feet, check out the pics on Tim Slade's FB page, that's from Saturday's race and he drove with that on the bottom of his foot yesterday

Imagine that on the work cover claim...

Not much time to make corrections. Melbourne is going to be just as hot.

I love the total uncertainty this year (apart from 888). Adds the extra dynamic.

I'm wondering if the rate that they can get fuel into the cars has changed with the change in the location of the fuel tank. Smaller diameter pipe into it perhaps?

It will be a rule for safety rather than an engineering oversight. If the fuel goes in slow you effectivey get a minimum time for pit stops, this means team have time to put the wheels on properly without rushing.

I think it was a great weekend for the new chasis, thumbs up to Skaife and the team for persevering with such a radical change; I certainly was not a believer but ended up watching all of both races, even cheering for that blouse Rick.

Both new cars did well, they will be 5x better next race and 10x better by the end of the year. Congrats in particular to everyone at Erebus for such a good showing with so little time.

On the heat, I am totally amazed they hadn't done long runs in hot weather. If you are spending millions a year, that test would be critical. I'm sure it will be sorted for next race though.

The Merc was still the best looking and sounding car. It should be good watching the new teams climb up the field.

I was surprised to hear Rick moaning about the fuel consumption and lack of power in the Nissans, since Larco's whiteboard said they should all be within 1%....hearing Rick moan in general was no surprise though.

I had heard that Rick was a moaner. From Tod.

I'm sure they can be within 1% of peak power but with substantially different power/torque curves - which makes a big difference.....you would know how painfully different a bush bearing n1 turbo (32/33) is to a ball bearing n1 turbo (34) in race use

It is fair to assume both the nissan and merc have less low down torque and could make more peak power (but are not allowed to)

The marketing is that they all have to have matching torque curve. But all of that tech info is pretty dumbed down by the time it gets to Larco's whiteboard

The marketing is that they all have to have matching torque curve. But all of that tech info is pretty dumbed down by the time it gets to Larco's whiteboard

that was in between the pits for 4-9 and 47 as the 7 commentry team were in the middle ( hence the photo in post 109 ) was very tempted to run in an draw on the board

I stopped watching after the r32's were banned, racing back then was so much more exciting with different production cars having different strengths ie, straight line speed vs cornering and I thought instead of banning the skylines they could have regulated their performance more. Bringing back a Nissan that isn't the skyline after the way they went out last time dosn't make sense to me, these cars now are so far away from being production cars I don't know why they even use commodore or falcon shapes.

I stopped watching after the r32's were banned, racing back then was so much more exciting with different production cars having different strengths ie, straight line speed vs cornering and I thought instead of banning the skylines they could have regulated their performance more. Bringing back a Nissan that isn't the skyline after the way they went out last time dosn't make sense to me, these cars now are so far away from being production cars I don't know why they even use commodore or falcon shapes.

There is a national (and NSW state) production car series if that's what you are looking for! Get along to a track to support it :)

Group A racing was dead the whole way across the world. When will people realise the GTR wasn't banned, the entire category ceased and changed to an entirely different format. It had nothing to do with elliminating the GTR.

The fact nissan aus and Japan are allowing the Kelly's to run as a factory backed team is great. Screw the GTR, screw group A racing (as good as it was its dead and will never be back) nissan have the Altima and wanted to push the car to the public market.

I love my GTR's as much as the next guy but they are intelligible so move on.

The peak of Aussie motor racing is the V8 supercars and the category has made significant changes to appeal to the public. The reality is the majority of Motorsport fans appreciate supercars and enjoy the category. It's the minority's like the nissan fan boys and sierra fan boys that whine and bitch about it.

The cars use the body shells so they can obtain manufacture support. Infant a lot of the panels being used are factory parts.

Group A racing was dead the whole way across the world. When will people realise the GTR wasn't banned, the entire category ceased and changed to an entirely different format. It had nothing to do with elliminating the GTR.

The fact nissan aus and Japan are allowing the Kelly's to run as a factory backed team is great. Screw the GTR, screw group A racing (as good as it was its dead and will never be back) nissan have the Altima and wanted to push the car to the public market.

The peak of Aussie motor racing is the V8 supercars and the category has made significant changes to appeal to the public. The reality is the majority of Motorsport fans appreciate supercars and enjoy the category. It's the minority's like the nissan fan boys and sierra fan boys that whine and bitch about it.

The cars use the body shells so they can obtain manufacture support. Infant a lot of the panels being used are factory parts.

There are Sierra fan boys?

But you are right. Group A is long dead. Good riddance too. The cars were brilliant but the racing and the politics were rubbish.

It's funny. If and when there is a GT3 GTR in Australia all the GTR fanboys will praise it for being a GTR and a V8 Supercar killer blah blah and carry on about how its a GTR but a Supercar is just a body shell.

Seriously there is as much GTR in a GT3 skyline as there is ford or holden in a V8 Supercar....

Fair enough they are primarily based on the monocoque chassis but so were the V8's till this year.

Okay fair enough you make a good point but I don't see why you would write "screw the GTR, screw group A racing". You can get your point across without being an as#hole!.