SAU Community

Shoota's R33 GT-R RB30/26

I love what you've done on the fab side with this build, but seriously you've done all of this and have not even looked at the totally crap standard box ? After many years of GTR, it's driveline first. For what you've got it will be an OS Giken at a minimum. Any stock GTR 5 speed will last one serious launch with sticky tyres with that turbo and power it will make. Gearset will look like my Gearset below:

WP_20180930_20_42_30_Pro.thumb.jpg.3ecef720b8f1bfeecf91ebdacfffaeba.jpgWP_20180930_20_42_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.05758f9196b6066662dbb0c9a44d3035.jpg

I know people will report "but I make 500kw+ with stock box no problems", that is always not for very long or not actually using that alleged power.

Get a better box before you break it properly, save you pulling the box twice.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BK said:

I love what you've done on the fab side with this build, but seriously you've done all of this and have not even looked at the totally crap standard box ? After many years of GTR, it's driveline first. For what you've got it will be an OS Giken at a minimum. Any stock GTR 5 speed will last one serious launch with sticky tyres with that turbo and power it will make. Gearset will look like my Gearset below:

WP_20180930_20_42_30_Pro.thumb.jpg.3ecef720b8f1bfeecf91ebdacfffaeba.jpgWP_20180930_20_42_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.05758f9196b6066662dbb0c9a44d3035.jpg

I know people will report "but I make 500kw+ with stock box no problems", that is always not for very long or not actually using that alleged power.

Get a better box before you break it properly, save you pulling the box twice.

I didn't make it clear but I bought the box as a fully rebuilt gearbox with cryo hardened gears. 

It was a few years old but had never been installed in a car. 

When I bought it I wasn't expecting to be making mid 500's.

I know an upgrade will be on the cards sooner rather than later. 

@Dorifudo @BK @UWISSH! @admS15@Dose Pipe Sutututu @Robzilla32 @Everit26 @Looney_Head (and so many others along the way that have stopped by to say hi) thanks for the kind words. I'm not gunna lie, even though this car is being built for my own selfish reasons, it is still nice to know that people either enjoy seeing it come along or will gain something from seeing what/how I've done it. Especially in tough times when you start to question what you've done and are really struggling to keep motivated. That's me right now after my recent setbacks. The kind words are the things that you grab onto to keep pushing through the pain barrier and finish it off when your mind is telling you to dump it and do something else!

I appreciate it everyone, keep pushing me! ?

20191213_130454.jpg

20191213_130441.jpg

20191213_130431.jpg

20191213_130422.jpg

20191213_130414.jpg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Looney_Head said:

All good bro, I have had those moments with my build, and take inspiration where I can. Cars looking great, how's it coming together?

We're still having a (hopefully) brief trial separation. 

Collecting my thoughts before the next onslaught! 

To cap it all off its now not starting! It progressively got harder to start now nothing at all. 

Has fuel pressure and spark but the injector pulse when tested with a noid light seems very dim so might be an injector power supply issue.

More head scratching and fault finding to come! ?

Ha ha, no shed skids @Dose Pipe Sutututu don't want to ruin my painted floors!

Even once it's "finished" we both know it's NEVER finished. There is no such thing with a project car. There's always a new piece of tech or upgraded part to add. New gearbox, new clutch, drive by wire, fresh paint..... The list goes on. 

Apart from the fact I can't stand BMW's I do understand the attraction of jumping in a car that you know you'll hit the key and it will start! Plus the air con will work, the windows don't make wierd noises, there's no click from the dash, etc! 

• Like 1

Cheers  @Shoota_77  I always look forward to seeing the updates to your build

While nowhere near as big as your project, I started an interior resto in August and was going great guns but then...work, life, health and all of the other BS that gets in the way, got in the way.

Will definitely get back into it over the summer though.

5 hours ago, Shoota_77 said:

Even once it's "finished" we both know it's NEVER finished. There is no such thing with a project car. There's always a new piece of tech or upgraded part to add. New gearbox, new clutch, drive by wire, fresh paint..... The list goes on.

Haha, I hear this!

@Shoota_77 i know what you mean about the BMW, i owned a 2015 Mercedes ML63 with AMS tune, 720hp and 1000nm. Started everytime, massaging seats and all the gadgets, but got bored very quickly sonsold it and now have a money pit but well worth it.

Edited by Dorifudo
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shoota_77 said:

We're still having a (hopefully) brief trial separation. 

Collecting my thoughts before the next onslaught! 

To cap it all off its now not starting! It progressively got harder to start now nothing at all. 

Has fuel pressure and spark but the injector pulse when tested with a noid light seems very dim so might be an injector power supply issue.

More head scratching and fault finding to come! ?

Damn, it always feels like one step forward two steps back, it took me 8 years to get mine built to were it is now, and it still feels like it's got a few more years to go (gearbox, fuel pressure issues, random noises to track down etc) but am loving having it going now. Mine doesn't turn any heads which is cool and sad at the same time lol

14 hours ago, Robzilla32 said:

Cheers  @Shoota_77  I always look forward to seeing the updates to your build

While nowhere near as big as your project, I started an interior resto in August and was going great guns but then...work, life, health and all of the other BS that gets in the way, got in the way.

Will definitely get back into it over the summer though.

Haha, I hear this!

Yeah "life" certainly has a way of getting in the way of a good time!  It really is hard to find the time to start with in our busy lives and then force yourself off your arse out to the shed to actually do something when you do get the time!  The main time I can get out there is after the kids go to bed at around 8pm and I can then head out to the shed for a few hours.  We do 5 X 9 hour days during the week and then another 5 hours on Saturday morning so it really is a battle for time.

Good luck getting back into it, i look forward to seeing how it all comes together!

13 hours ago, Dorifudo said:

@Shoota_77 i know what you mean about the BMW, i owned a 2015 Mercedes ML63 with AMS tune, 720hp and 1000nm. Started everytime, massaging seats and all the gadgets, but got bored very quickly sonsold it and now have a money pit but well worth it.

Sounds like a beast!!  I've got a soft spot for the Benz product having looked after them as a brand for about 5 years.  The C205 C63 is still one of my favourite cars (apart from the GT but just not practical).  We had one on loan from head office for a week.  It had the optional carbon ceramic brakes on it too..  I took a mate out for a drive one night and he almost threw up when he got out from the rapid acceleration and deceleration from the ceramic brakes! :) :)   Was a beast.  Had the V12 Maybach up to some stupid speeds out in the quiet backroads too!  That thing sat on the road incredibly well for the size of it.  I had a couple of blokes kicked back in the reclining rear seats watching footy on the TV's at the time :) .

13 hours ago, Looney_Head said:

Damn, it always feels like one step forward two steps back, it took me 8 years to get mine built to were it is now, and it still feels like it's got a few more years to go (gearbox, fuel pressure issues, random noises to track down etc) but am loving having it going now. Mine doesn't turn any heads which is cool and sad at the same time lol

I see you've got a build page going now.  I'll have a read when i get a sec.  

As long as it turns your head who cares what everyone else thinks!  I just love looking at mine even though it's a bit of a bucket in terms of body kit quality.  I just love the shape.

I might have had a power nap in the drivers seat the other day too....  GT-R seats are good for a snooze!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

I would have to snooze before I went for a drive,too much adrenaline to sleep after the drive ?

been enjoying your thread Shoota , looking great ?

Cheers Peter, how is yours going?  Are you getting it out much?

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Dorifudo said:

Any more updates?

Through a process of semi confident elimination, I've ripped out the front diff and sent it off to be looked at. There was a lot of metal in the bottom of the housing. To be honest I'm still not 100% confident that it is the cause but definitely issues so I'll sort that out first. The noise did go away as soon as I dropped the front shaft so looking likely it is the front diff or could be the transfer case as the noise goes away when there is no load. Hopefully get the diff back (also getting a non V-Spec rear diff I bought years ago serviced so I can piss off the viscous LSD at the same time. The front is already a 1.5 way LSD so should hook up nice with mechanical set-up front and rear!). 

I've bought a set of GK Tech adjustable front camber arms so will whack them in seeing I've got everything out to remove the front diff and axles.

Bloody prick of a job to remove the diff while the engine is in the car I tell you.... 

Other than that still struggling with motivation but hopefully once I get some stuff back and new bits in the mail I'll get excited again! 

• Like 1