SAU Community

Educated Guess At The Final Tune Results

Nismo 3.2ish

I paid $1600 for a petrol tune and think this is very high, but what do you do when someone gives you the invoice, walk out and leave the car ?

What is a reasonable price for a Flex fuel tune, E85 and 98 pump , from 0-100%

Got the R33 tuned for $600, eflex tune on power fc from scratch, took just over an hour and got to watch it being done and chat with tuner, :yes: maybe the extra grand is because "GTR stroker" , so that name means $$$ before it is even put on dyno ..

Edited by AngryRB

^^^ e flex tune (ie the Caltex stuff) or a full flex tune? Two very different things!

Seeing that it's a PFC, it will be one map not the 5-6 maps with a sensor needed for a "flex tune".

I paid $1600 for a petrol tune and think this is very high, but what do you do when someone gives you the invoice, walk out and leave the car ?

What is a reasonable price for a Flex fuel tune, E85 and 98 pump , from 0-100%

I would expect to pay over $1000 for a full flex tune (E85, 98 and anywhere inbetween). It is a very time consuming exercise if done properly. But there should be no surprises. A good shop should be able to give you a reasonably close estimate (not a fixed quote) before you start.

When you get the car back it should start and run properly and any problems related to the tune should be fixed for the price already paid.

Obviously i have never dealt with your shop but it seems to me that once you have the car sorted you should in the future try somewhere else for a tune if you need or want a different tune.

I would expect to pay over $1000 for a full flex tune (E85, 98 and anywhere inbetween). It is a very time consuming exercise if done properly. But there should be no surprises. A good shop should be able to give you a reasonably close estimate (not a fixed quote) before you start.

When you get the car back it should start and run properly and any problems related to the tune should be fixed for the price already paid.

Obviously i have never dealt with your shop but it seems to me that once you have the car sorted you should in the future try somewhere else for a tune if you need or want a different tune.

Hi Bob

If it was $1600 for a " full flex tune " I would have no problem with that, but for a petrol tune it seems pretty high ?

I guess I am a bit pissed off with the other shit that does not work after waiting so long

1, Loosing water and they have no idea where it is going, thats OK but it would have been noticeable after the Dyno tune and they drove it around for a few days, It should have been repaired before they told me to come and get it, I was told to keep an eye on the water, maybe I mistakenly read something in this, but it sounds like they knew it was loosing water somewhere?

2. The starter motor stays engaged for a second as the motor starts, this also should have been fixed and I was told to have it repaired with my mechanic ?

3. The motor shit itself over 6000rpm the next day after the tune, Took it back 3 days later (weekend in between)and they drove it around the local streets for a while, made a coupe of changes? and said it is ok, first chance I had to give it a run at 6000rpm + it shit itself again. This should have been put on the Dyno to try and find the fault , not a drive around the block or 2 in a 60 area ?

Maybe I am being unreasonable in my expectations after paying a shit load of money to have this job done. You would think after having the car for over 5 moths you would get it right before giving it back. A bloke said it looks like the coil pack could be stuffed or something similar, there must have been a way for these blokes to test the bloody thing ?? :rant: :rant:

You would also think they would be happy to get rid of my whinging old arse and do the farking thing right in the first place !

1 and 3 sound like fair expectations to me.....and #1 in particular would bug me because testing for a leak is very simple with a cheap tool....you would be right to wonder which other corners were cut if the cooling system was not pressure tested

With 2 I would take their advice. It wasn't part of the work they did and any general mechanic will do it quicker and cheaper. RB starters are easy to get recondition.

#2 Fair enough , but it was OK before the build and why not fix it while it is there regardless of what made it stuff up. First he said the shaft needed some lubricant and since I complained about that not being done, the story changed to a miss match with the starter is related to a slight miss match between the older worn starter motor gear and the new flywheel ring gear.

This maybe so, but fix it before you give the car back ?

It was $9000 over quotes given and I copped it sweet, but come on, with a build like this you do not give the car back in worse condition than it came in ?

Wow this sounds like a cowboy shop. I cannot believe it. I know sometimes things happen but they should be able to diagnose and fix real quick.

I had a O-Ring break on my oil cooler (at the block) I was leaking oil all over. The engine builder got it in the next day even though he was busy and had it fixed tested and tested again to make sure.

Mine was also more expensive than the prices I was given but thats the price to pay when modifying cars.

Keep it with them though - Give it back and say you do not want it returned until it is 100% fixed.

Wow this sounds like a cowboy shop. I cannot believe it. I know sometimes things happen but they should be able to diagnose and fix real quick.

I had a O-Ring break on my oil cooler (at the block) I was leaking oil all over. The engine builder got it in the next day even though he was busy and had it fixed tested and tested again to make sure.

Mine was also more expensive than the prices I was given but thats the price to pay when modifying cars.

Keep it with them though - Give it back and say you do not want it returned until it is 100% fixed.

Yeah I guess that is where I am at, but 700klm trip each time starts to give one the shits when this sort of thing is going on :(

After waiting for so long and expectations being high, it is a downer :yucky:

Maybe it is just me, I can be a pain when I am being ignored ?

Just not used of being treated like this, BUT they say they are all the same ?

When you can talk to them they are nice blokes, stuffed if I know :unsure:

My other experiences with them have been good, job done on time and I got what I paid for, this one is different ?

Yeh no they aren't all the same if that's what you are going through.

But sometimes shit happens, this time was my turn :/

I am sure they have many happy campers out there :camping:

If this happened all of the time they would not have a business and they have a very busy one :)

What plugs are you running pete and what gap? Id also look at swapping in a known set of good working coil packs or buy a new set to see if that helps with the missfire.

They changed the newish plugs on Monday with new plugs, I do not know the gap but these blokes make these things all the time, you would think they know what to use. The plugs were a little dirty.

Paul suggested the coil packs might need changing, I am going to see my local bloke in the morning and book it in for a check up. It is a starting point . Just a matter of what coil pack to buy, any suggestions ?

Those coils look good, i dont know the go to plug and gap off the top of my head but id make sure you are running whatever piggaz or xklaba are running. You know how to take a coil and plug out surely?

Edited by Gts30t

Those coils look good, i dont know the go to plug and gap off the top of my head but id make sure you are running whatever piggaz or xklaba are running. You know how to take a coil and plug out surely?

Mick , knowing and being able to do it are 2 different things, my back is stuffed big time :)

This one, don't fark around with it, get the best possible spark you can

https://m.facebook.com/mojoperformance/posts/594366707319412

Thanks Mick, I am going to my mechanic to have him test the car and see what he find, it is a start and if he thinks it is the coils I will get these ones :)