SAU Community

Educated Guess At The Final Tune Results

Nismo 3.2ish

That makes 2 of us, I am stuffed if I know what I am doing anymore.

Why do they tune rich, is there some short time advantage until the plugs foul up ?

Too lean can melt pistons and valves, too rich fouls plugs and washes bores, which if you can't get it right is the 'safer' option.

That makes 2 of us, I am stuffed if I know what I am doing anymore.

Why do they tune rich, is there some short time advantage until the plugs foul up ?

Isn't this concept of a "Safe Tune"...if so 387(?) kW on a safe tune would easily be over 400 if tuned correctly (but with higher risk ie. leaning out)?

Too lean can melt pistons and valves, too rich fouls plugs and washes bores, which if you can't get it right is the 'safer' option.

there must be somewhere in between, but does this rich tune make it easier for tuners not to stuff motors up ?

We are only talking a day or 2 of driving, I reckon it would be well under the original tune of 386kw and this was also noticeable on the old build, you could feel it.

Isn't this concept of a "Safe Tune"...if so 387(?) kW on a safe tune would easily be over 400 if tuned correctly (but with higher risk ie. leaning out)?

I think it would be lucky to hit anywhere near the 387 mark, I doubt if they could get a reading off it over 6000rpm, the graph would start looking funny from the 5000rpm reading.

Just take it back and specify a time for them to have it fixed and back to you. A couple of days to diagnose and fortnight to fix should be more than enough. Is it still losing water?

Yes, I am think Jez is the go, sick of this!

Bummer this has happened, you must feel sick just thinking about it. I did when my 32GTR build went south and I was taken for a ride (not by this workshop).

IMO it needs to go back to CRD, and you need to insist that it is fixed and fixed right. Stamp your foot and behave like a 3 yr old if needs be...maybe then they will take some notice as they sure haven't been so far.

I can't believe they let it leave the workshop with issues, particularly when this thread is wide open. They must be reading it. I would.

Would be interesting to see who has worked on your car and if they have a no admittance to workshop policy, my experience with the big name companies is that they use a team of young guys that are learning still and theres maybe one or two guys that have the knowledge but they mostly work on the expensive jobs..

At this rate, you could of maybe built this thing yourself and done just as good, lol.

Take it to a known good tuner like JEM, arnt they down your way? seem's they do good work on other members cars.. ask them to just do a power run, see what they think.

Edited by AngryRB

Bummer this has happened, you must feel sick just thinking about it. I did when my 32GTR build went south and I was taken for a ride (not by this workshop).

IMO it needs to go back to CRD, and you need to insist that it is fixed and fixed right. Stamp your foot and behave like a 3 yr old if needs be...maybe then they will take some notice as they sure haven't been so far.

I can't believe they let it leave the workshop with issues, particularly when this thread is wide open. They must be reading it. I would.

I think I used all of my tantrums up trying to get the build done,haha

Yes I know they read SAU, Paul mentioned I was being treated like a Mushroom and in an email to me, they referred to themselves as the Mushroom Farmers, I liked that :)

Pete there's a lot of talk about warranty, what exactly is your warranty 'in writing'?

There is no written warranty, but you cannot manufacture or preform work without the customer expecting to get what they where told they would get or paid for, otherwise it would all go POP!

I have come up against this type of thing before and not worried about a written warranty on expensive work carried out on my car.

There are situations where their license can be canceled for periods and can be strongly enforced.Been here with a car yard and they told me to piss off, sure I will go, like Fark!

But this is not the situation here, they asked me to bring the car in again and leave it longer so they can sort it out.

I do I want to go through this again and if it is re tuned as rich as they seem to like , it is only a matter of time before I am here whinging again :/

Would be interesting to see who has worked on your car and if they have a no admittance to workshop policy, my experience with the big name companies is that they use a team of young guys that are learning still and theres maybe one or two guys that have the knowledge but they mostly work on the expensive jobs..

At this rate, you could of maybe built this thing yourself and done just as good, lol.

Take it to a known good tuner like JEM, arnt they down your way? seem's they do good work on other members cars.. ask them to just do a power run, see what they think.

I am 350 Klm out of Sydney

But you have a look , they have a pretty good name, they have cars coming out of their butts down there, never short of work, so this is some indication that they must know what they are doing, just not in my case,haha

I hope they fix it properly for you, I guess this makes us all more weary, I'll stick to slapping a stock neo to a stock RB30, atleast no workshops can stuff me around :yes:

Edited by AngryRB
  • Like 1

Get one out and tell us what it is, even use feeler gauge to get gap

Should be a BCPR7ES with a 0.8/0.7mm gap

It sound to me like the spark is getting drowned which is why you are getting black smoke out the exhaust, if you can see it in the rear veiw mirror then there is alot of it meaning there is way to much fuel

that's a platinum part number iirc.

They would have swapped to copper.

Do most of your cars run a little rich , just to be safe?

My top Japanese tuner tunes rich but not so rich that it causes problems. He also recommended PFR7G plugs gapped to 0.8mm (If you have BCPR7ES they should be ok as well).

I wouldn't worry too much about the guarantee - your engine should not blow up if you take it to a reputable tuner. Give CRD a last chance to fix it (for free) . Ask them for the torque, kw, boost and AFR charts - any tuners i have used are happy to supply them - and post them up in here.

If you are not 100% happy take it to another tuner.

Note: I have attached a chart (not from the Japanese tuner) from my old auto RB25DET (with stock ecu, Apexi SAFC , Apexi SITC and Jaycar boost controller!)) showing power, torque, boost and AFRs on one page just as an example, Some tuners will put them on two or four pages.

post-49463-0-62221700-1429450425_thumb.jpg

I would seriously be stopping in at to see Jez on the Central Coast on your way down. Even if you don't want him to do any work on it to void whatever sort of warranty you have, just talk to him about what work has been done for the money you have paid and see what he thinks.

0414879711 - Jez

I would seriously be stopping in at to see Jez on the Central Coast on your way down. Even if you don't want him to do any work on it to void whatever sort of warranty you have, just talk to him about what work has been done for the money you have paid and see what he thinks.

0414879711 - Jez

Thanks Josh. I have Jez's number and intend to see him after the car has been repaired. I will be finished going to Sydney.