SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

So they give you a 20% pay cut for 4 years, then pay you 80% in the 5th year when you're not working, presumably when they forecast they'll have no work for you anyway...

Say you're on 100k, they cut that to 80k for 4 years, saving themselves 80k over the 4 years, they then pay you 80k in the fifth year to have the year off... So they've saved themselves $100k per employee, and all you've gained is a year off, with $100k less in your pocket than you would've had on normal terms

Sounds like a good deal...................

So they give you a 20% pay cut for 4 years, then pay you 80% in the 5th year when you're not working, presumably when they forecast they'll have no work for you anyway...

Say you're on 100k, they cut that to 80k for 4 years, saving themselves 80k over the 4 years, they then pay you 80k in the fifth year to have the year off... So they've saved themselves $100k per employee, and all you've gained is a year off, with $100k less in your pocket than you would've had on normal terms

Sounds like a good deal...................

Take the cynical blinkers off Monica

They haven't saved $100k per employee, they've gotten 4 years of work out of them and paid out $400k either way

And that mere year off could be spent on a beach with a European woman, not stuck in traffic in Tarneit

Tell me someone on 80k is going to happily doing workload of a 100k position?

100k for 5 years = 5 years of work for the company and $500k in your pocket (before tax)
vs
80k for 5 years = 4 years of half-arsed work for the company (They'll need to take on another employee to cover the 5th year so they're out $600 instead of $500k), barely making your house payments if anything goes wrong in your life (sick family, babies, etc).

What happens if situations change and you want to change companies after 3 years? Do they need to pay out 60k pro-rata on your last day? Thats a huge financial liability for the company.

100k for 5 years = 5 years of work for the company and $500k in your pocket (before tax)

vs

80k for 5 years = 4 years of half-arsed work for the company (They'll need to take on another employee to cover the 5th year so they're out $600 instead of $500k), barely making your house payments if anything goes wrong in your life (sick family, babies, etc).

What happens if situations change and you want to change companies after 3 years? Do they need to pay out 60k pro-rata on your last day? Thats a huge financial liability for the company.

Considering last couple companies I worked for complain if you have more than 20 days annual leave owing...1 year hell no

Take the cynical blinkers off Monica

They haven't saved $100k per employee, they've gotten 4 years of work out of them and paid out $400k either way

And that mere year off could be spent on a beach with a European woman, not stuck in traffic in Tarneit

She'll leave you pretty quickly once your 80k runs out and you're sleeping in that same beach permanently

The concept isn't a bad one. It's like working 3 12 hour days a week for 36 hours and then having 4 days off, just on a grander scale.

What if it was 10%, instead of 20%? Having a year paid off ain't such a bad idea, because unlike the VWL regular elite most don't actually plan that well because life tends to get in the way.

vs

Company pays you $400k over 5 years as your 5th year is unpaid but supported by the 80k saving you accumulated over the 4 years.

The company will then hire an additional person at $100k. So the end cost is the same for the business. $500k.

She'll leave you pretty quickly once your 80k runs out and you're sleeping in that same beach permanently

Well yeah cos I obviously wouldn't undertake any financial planning or change my lifestyle at all

I should just go to work and take zero risks, what was I thinking

• Like 1

I went from EBA hourly rate, 40 hour week with fortnightly RDO (paid 36 hours a week)

to

Salary, the worlds most complex over-time system, no RDO's and monthly pay.

to finally

Hourly rate salary, OT penalty rates, no RDO, fortnightly pay.

(^ best). RDO fortnightly was a joke, couldnt run a site properly or finish a job as planned. I prefer the extra paid hours.