SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

I went on a track day when I was ~19 as a friends dad thought I might enjoy it. he didn't mention until we got there that it was basically a day for old pro drivers to get their kids/grand kids on track. It was like having your grandpa in the car yelling at you your driving like a pussy, get on the power earlier. Your lines are all wrong. Braking way too early and not hard enough.

Was brilliant/10 would do again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That sounds like a lot of fun.

Speaking of track days doing one on the 28th Sep at Sandown (not the sau one) 
There's a whole heap of Lambos, Lotus etc. kind of stuff, going to be constantly overtaken I'm sure 

Whats the best way to look after a stock car on the track? 2 laps on 2 off? I'm sure if I hammer it for the 20 minutes straight something will stuff up. 

Edited by UNR33L

Should be good for more than 2 laps with an sti, but tires are probably going to overheat and lose a bunch of grip before anything else, throw some performance pads at it and you should be sweet.

1 hour ago, TiTAN said:

Should be good for more than 2 laps with an sti, but tires are probably going to overheat and lose a bunch of grip before anything else, throw some performance pads at it and you should be sweet.

I'll just wear out my stock pads then chuck in performance pads next time I reckon.

Yeah I figured the tyres would go mooshy after a couple of laps.

Someone take some of my tyres... Got 4x 215 17's RE002 in my garage and 2x 275 18's yokohamas sporty ones... Will have more 18s soon once i take the current gloria wheels apart.

I still hold a little bit of TLX after Leighs recommendation. Though i waited and bought at under 60c, now sitting above 90c but not sure whether to just sit on it long term. They seem to be doing some good work with clinical trials and testing with Japan.

Yeah the Mrs said there's starting to be some progress in that division now so that explains the higher share price I guess.

The fact that she held onto hers the whole time means she has faith I guess? 

Edit: Just saw it has gone up 50% in the past month not bad. 

Edited by UNR33L

I could sell it soonish while its high... So far ive just been short trading stuff over a few months and it all pays quite well. So far nothing really done well long term. Aus market seems to be on the downslope from what i can see.

I just checked 88e lowest that's been in a while! that explains the lack of 88e talk in VWL lol.

I don't have any shares at the moment, not sure what I want to invest in - maybe just be boring and pay mortgage off. 

Or just build race car, because race car.

I'll just wear out my stock pads then chuck in performance pads next time I reckon.
Yeah I figured the tyres would go mooshy after a couple of laps.

I took that approach with the ST. It ate the rotors in the process, not a big deal as they were all of 120 each but I doubt the sti rotors are as disposable.

I just checked 88e lowest that's been in a while! that explains the lack of 88e talk in VWL lol.
I don't have any shares at the moment, not sure what I want to invest in - maybe just be boring and pay mortgage off. 

Bolt-on racecar m8
Moonlight racing will get you mad hookups on subie bits if you need. SAU discount

I think CPH, WSA, SW1, MXC good buy in points at the moment. Quite low.

Been trying to get into TV2 at .7 or .8c for dat quick turnaround but no luck yet.

Bought a packet of MIN which will start getting dividends (which i havent set up yet... Should do that).

1 hour ago, TiTAN said:

I took that approach with the ST. It ate the rotors in the process, not a big deal as they were all of 120 each but I doubt the sti rotors are as disposable.

Surely STI Brembos / pads / rotors are more 'track ready' than ST ones 

If they can't last one track day they don't deserve to be on the car 

A few laps should be fine in the STI, keep at eye on the oil/water temps and it won't be an issue. The main problems I've seen on stock cars at Sandown are brakes not being cooled down properly.

2 x 60km->200km for each straight means full throttle for like 20 seconds each time.
Make sure you go easy on the gearbox and don't try to shave off time by smashing gears.

2 x 200km->80km (maybe 100 on the back straight, I don't know)  also means the brakes get a big workout.
Make sure you don't superheat them, I had the adhesive on A1RM's fail, the pads completely disintegrated into powder.
Make sure you don't park the car with hot rotors, they will warp or crack if they cool unevenly, if you don't get a full cooldown lap make sure you do 3-4 laps of the carpark instead, and put a chock behind your wheel instead of pulling on the handbrake when you do park it up. Saw some GTR Brembos make a huge PING sound a few minutes after parking, and everyone that heard it just winced when they saw the source of the noise.

TLDR; Sandown, high speed braking, kills rotors, pads, tyres.
All easily avoidable if you drive to the (track and car) conditions

• Like 1

Can confirm Sandown kills brakes. Have spent more on brake pads than i have on tyres over the last 3 years. Cheap rda rotors lasted well, the rears finally gave up and developed cracks after 20+ track days, definitely got my moneys worth from them.

Better than stock brake pads and fluid are a must if you plan on doing more than 1 flying lap.

4 hours ago, UNR33L said:

Lowest was 1.8 cents. Lack of talk is due to lack of anything significant happening for a couple months at least.

2 hours ago, Odium said:

A few laps should be fine in the STI, keep at eye on the oil/water temps and it won't be an issue. The main problems I've seen on stock cars at Sandown are brakes not being cooled down properly.

2 x 60km->200km for each straight means full throttle for like 20 seconds each time.
Make sure you go easy on the gearbox and don't try to shave off time by smashing gears.

2 x 200km->80km (maybe 100 on the back straight, I don't know)  also means the brakes get a big workout.
Make sure you don't superheat them, I had the adhesive on A1RM's fail, the pads completely disintegrated into powder.
Make sure you don't park the car with hot rotors, they will warp or crack if they cool unevenly, if you don't get a full cooldown lap make sure you do 3-4 laps of the carpark instead, and put a chock behind your wheel instead of pulling on the handbrake when you do park it up. Saw some GTR Brembos make a huge PING sound a few minutes after parking, and everyone that heard it just winced when they saw the source of the noise.

TLDR; Sandown, high speed braking, kills rotors, pads, tyres.
All easily avoidable if you drive to the (track and car) conditions

awesome information thankyou! 

+2 or +3? to Sandown, I would not trust stock hardware there.

Even as a STI, I would be changing pads, Fluid and Tyres to 200TW anythings, at a minimum before even thinking about entering.

Unless it came from the factory with a crate for track specific stuff, or an OEM roll cage, OEM stuff + Sandown = no good.

No good to the point of doing 1-2 semi flying laps and realizing you have burned your money not-good.

9 minutes ago, UNR33L said:

I wasn't planning on pushing too hard to be honest, I'm surprised that things would start failing at 1-2 laps?

I have had things fail in 1-2 stops. I had the same problem mentioned above with a1rm's in a 5 minute session at Broadford, and Sandown is far tougher..

Road is not track. Most tracks don't come close to the torture on a car's cooling and braking systems that Sandown does. I can't see toooooo many comfy OEM manufacturers putting pads on any car that are great for Sandown.

I'm not saying don't give it a go, but there's a chance that if you do, you may do one session and leave because it's pointless continuing... so if you can get ahead of it, its worth looking into. Even if you buy track pads and such to swap out for the day then go about merrily on road pads afterwards for the road.

I think your overestimating a stock cars speed.. and under estimating it's reliability

Whilst a STI is very quick on a road a stock one on the track just does not have the tyres/suspension to be corning hard enough to really carry enough speed to cause a problem.

plenty of people run STI's on the track and they have no probs car mags run them all the time.

your just  going to do a few 200 -> 60 slow downs, and a set of brembos will handle it fine.

your not going to be pulling low 20's or anything.

monitor your temps adjust your tyre pressure during the day (I assume STI have TPS as the stock imprezza does) and you will be fine,

Sandown is normally 5 lap sessions I would be doing 2 hot 1 cool down and then 2 hot to finish (you then get a cool down coming into the pits)

couple laps of the pits and don't put the handbrake on in the pit.

you are going to have lots of fun.