SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

13 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Mine has all sorts of cool storage cubbies, one of the things will actually really miss

Yours is X95 yeah (aka first generation or something)? 

I leased a D95 in France, and the storage is rubbish, only had a cupholder and it only fit a can of red bull lol 

X84 (second generation).

The D95 RS265 is mostly cosmetic, they handle a little differently. The RS265's want to pivot under braking more, and the visibility is way less.

Generally nicer interior though. They fixed the issues with the 225 sport when they released the 225 cup. I drove both of those and the difference is surprisingly huge.

And yes I noticed immediately getting out of the D95 gen back into mine that I suddenly had space to put stuff everywhere. (inside door jams, inside door rests, specific slots for sunglasses etc, massive center console, etc, multi level glovebox etc etc etc)

Greg, that's right these D95 is mainly cosmetic (that being said I haven't been in X84), and yeah visibility is shocking as I'd discovered when I drove LHD car in UK and its 11ty billions of roundabouts. Apart from these it's wild car to drive through alps and Nordscheleife, rear end does want to overtake front end when you're attacking the corner hard, also when you're going above 210km/h, front end does lift and then it'd settle at 225/230km/h. 

Now that I've a Golf, man the amount of stuff I can pack in is amazing - best I've managed was 4x 33x12.5x15 mud terrains in it along with GQ front diff pumpkin, 4x coil springs, steering wheel, and bunch of engine/diff oils. And it even came with bottle cap opener! Also das Golf is much more stable car everywhere, to be fair I have AWD. 

The 225 is effectively the same car dynamics wise, but the rear is less skittish. Infact it's super annoyingly planted, and has a wheelbase a fair bit wider than a GTR (!) and yes, super fun and I prefer the dynamics of the 225 vs the 265, the rear coming around I know is a good thing, but it doesnt 'feel' as predictable, I like to do it with the brake pedal as opposed to just pure inertia.

I don't have a golf, but holy shit I have packed a retarded amount of stuff into the 225, stuff my 34 sedan just can't touch.

There is something to be said about hot hatches, to be sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leroy Peterson said:

what are you gonna get instead?

Just saw the megane came in GT wagon... didnt know that.

Nothing - I only got one while my 34 was off the road doing the whole V8 thing, and needed to get around in something that wasn't crushingly depressing during that time... I was under the impression mates would still do track days and car events and I wanted to still do those without the whole "I'd like to go but my car is off the road" problem..

unpopular opinion.

I think most hot hatches now days are overpowered.

When I got the Mini the plan was just to run it for a bit as a cheap car then grab a i30N

but even with it's limited power I still cannot open the car up in most circumstances.
it's still spinning tires if the TC is off 

(this is with improved tires and a mechanical LSD.)

you current ST/typeR/i30N/ are all 200+kw, we are talking near stock GTR power from a FWD hatchback. 

For a daily I want to be able to put the foot all the way down more than jsut  on an on ramp.

I guess I finally see the attraction of MX5's

So I've really started looking at Kei cars now as an option for next. a "sporty" one of them might be just what I need.

just need to see if I fit in one

On another side note here, after all this RONA stuff is obviously going to impact travel for some time I've started thinking might be time to replace the ute with a 4WD.

Went camping with mates a few weeks back and it seems a lowered ute is not the best thing to go offroad with.

Maybe a 25+ year old 4wd on club rego could be a cheap way of heading out plus a repalcement tow car.

1 hour ago, emts said:

unpopular opinion.

I think most hot hatches now days are overpowered.
it's still spinning tires if the TC is off (this is with improved tires and a mechanical LSD.)

Maybe a 25+ year old 4wd on club rego could be a cheap way of heading out plus a emplacement tow car.

Best of both worlds: get an old suzuki 4WD or something? Any 25+ yro 4WD is going to need decent work to get "nice", might as well stick japanese.

Really surprised at the lack of traction with mech LSD and decent tyres... Usually its more to do with power delivery. I guess older japanese engines generally had mid-torque/top-end power, while modern cars are all about the low-down torque/mid-power.
160fwkw on the pulsar was fine, but also had big cams so not much off the line. Obviously 200+ can smoke tyres if you just mash the pedal.

I was expecting less go.

but yeah.

stock
96 S2 S14 200sx  265Nm at 4800 rpm

08 Cooper S 240Nm at 1600 rpm with 260 avalible on overboost.

New Turbo's are so much more effective.

down low it pulls much harder, runs out of breath much quicker as well, and honestly I would prefer it the other way around.

planning to throw some hankook RS4's on to see if that helps(and hopefully not kill the clutch)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Birds said:

Remember all those “what car should I buy” questions I responded to with R33 GTS-T

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars?q=(C.Make.Nissan._.(C.Model.Skyline._.Badge.GTS-T.))&sb=~Price

lmao

I don't know whats funnier, your posts or the dreamboats asking $30k+ for a 33GTST.

Meanwhile, the elusive 33 4 dour auto finds itself in an exclusive dealership...
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1995-nissan-skyline-gts-t-r33-auto/OAG-AD-19417871/?Cr=12

Can’t speak to what they’re actually trading hands for but it’s all relative with the GTR tax...either way, gone are the days of the decent condition GTS-T for 8-9k.

if you look around I think this more of COVID tax than GTR tax

any cars currently have been massivly over priced since oh ppl could pull 20K from their super and no-one traveling to bali so they have money

some I saw recently
Suzuki Jimny, 1 year old ones trading at 15K over list.
Mini same as mine, cheapest was 7 more than I paid. 
A certain car I've been watching for a while 60K start of year 85 now.

even worse is older aussie cars was seeing roller HQ's with rust for 10K
Valients even worse

but they are coming slowly coming back to normal.

but yes what they are selling for is the big unknown.

anyhow hoping to pick up my 2021 project shortly.
Genuine barn find aussie chrome bumper car.

• 1 month later...

Wow i haven't posted in here since like probably 2014, how is everyone? 

I definitely remember this place being very active daily, seems like everyone has aged and moved on haha.

Does anyone still own their skyline from back then, or perhaps own a different one? Or even own the same car from back then?

Also, does anyone know what those big black circular cameras that have popped up recently on basically every set of traffic lights are? I've heard people mention they are just for monitoring traffic, some say they are those new cameras that can detect if you are using a mobile phone device. 

Edited by Gw2

• 2 weeks later...