SAU Community

Fg Barra Motors

Hey guys,

My track car is getting its engine removed int the next month or so.

The plan was to do a rb25/30.

use my

6boost, Hta3076r, and all the other bits and pieces. injectors, plazamanam plenum, etc etc

But after going for a cruise in my mates FG typhoon turbo and seeing the prices of the engine i was wondering what would be needed and how much of a hassle it would be to shove one in the 33 instead?

Has anyone done this?

What was needed?

How hard was it?

Im also looking at a 2 speed power glide to go with it

cheers

i believe it is more or less the same, just changes internally.

nd as far as being gay lol, well i was going to but an rb30 in it but might as well go for the much newer 3l?

And links to where you have seen it done??

i believe it is more or less the same, just changes internally.

nd as far as being gay lol, well i was going to but an rb30 in it but might as well go for the much newer 3l?

And links to where you have seen it done??

they're a 4.0L

I would prefer a 2JZ-GTE with VVT-i

They're fantastic engines, the rods, oil pumps and valve springs are they're weak point but they are very easy to find upgraded parts that don't break,

On 98 with the factory fg xr6 turbo the limit it about 320kw and with the ba/bf and fg f6 turbo you're look at about 390kw add some e85 and of corse they'll happily do more

They're fantastic engines, the rods, oil pumps and valve springs are they're weak point but they are very easy to find upgraded parts that don't break,

On 98 with the factory fg xr6 turbo the limit it about 320kw and with the ba/bf and fg f6 turbo you're look at about 390kw add some e85 and of corse they'll happily do more

exactly what i was thinking. i already run 395kws in my rb25.

it just seems a decent budget build sort of thing. being a track only to helps.

it just all comes down to how hard, what needs to be modified etc etc

I realise that this thread is about Barra motors, but I tend to think that once you get to the point of putting in a completely different manufacturer's motor, with all the mounting/wiring/etc hassle associated - and especially as we're talking about a track car so legalities don't seem to be an issue - why are we talking about dropping in a heavy, tall lump of an engine like the Ford 6? Go to that much effort and you should lift your sights to an LS1 or LS2.

I also realise that the point of it is that the Ford 6 is available cheap.....but really, the cost of the engine soon disappears in everything else you have to do/buy for such a swap. Both swaps have their difficulties that add cost you might not expect.

Put in V8 with antisocial exhaust and open inlet tract and a tune and enjoy.

Except the ford turbo 6 will spank and ls1/2 engine every day of the week

Maybe in taxi sized cars. Have you considered the benefits of an NA power curve in a lighter car like a Skyline? I think the Barra will just light up the tyres and it will be goodnight nurse. Then on top of that, I reckon for equal power, the LS will still be circulating around the track many many laps after the Ford motor has shat itself.

And there is no arguing that the addition of a small amount of boost on top of the LS will then shatter any hope of the Ford keeping up (traction issues notwithstanding!)

Just sayin' is all. The effort spent on putting in Grandfather's axe could be better spent putting in a lighter alloy engine that actually sounds half reasonable. I think you'd get a smile from both, but I'd bank on the V8 smile being bigger and more readily accessed.

if going barra why retain the skyline?

i cant imagine telling people you run a 2 speed powerglided, 4L barra skyline would be an enjoyable experience. skyline is lighter? just get a VL m8

or just get anything lighter than both and whack it in.

Or the next most reasonable suggestion. Again I realise that the basis of the thread is the availability of low priced Barra motors. But, now that 350/370Z trannies are becoming more available......VQ30DET transplants into R32s have to be looking more and more sensible. Back to the original idea of RB25/30, but with better weight and balance, plus much newer, still Nissan, blah blah blah. And they make the whoosh noises.

Something to be said for the idea. Only ~$12-13k buy in for the cheapest manual coupes.

They are a bit heavy though. Need to find a way to drop 200kg to even catch up to an R32's starting point.

Edited by GTSBoy

good feedback....

I have just got bored of the rb25 at 393kws....

The engine is coming out and the first idea was to go 30/25 in which i have a 30 and some parts already....

The next option is the fg engine. lights mods and go from there...

And then scrap the 25 gearbox and go powerglide on each.

I already have the r33 with rollcage stripped fuel set up for e85 slicks that fit etc etc thats why im keeping the 33....